Possibly well-worn Bobby Williams question

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Sorry if this has been asked to death, but I was wondering what the difference in the quality of the sets on each of the Funky Superfly lps are. I was reading from funk45.com that the title track 7 sounds different on part 2 (a bit more like it's predecessor) on an earlier release and wondered if maybe this might hold true for the entire the fanclub edition of the lp.I realize that only a small handful of people have been able to hear both lps and hoped someone on here might be able to share that info. Not that it'll really benefit me, mind you, but I am curious.Thanks!

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I'd like to know for sure, too!
    The rumor is the fanclub LP is a completely different mix. However nobody has stepped up to demonstrate the difference.... a little suspect... like a case of the FISHER private press LP vs. "hot lunch".

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts
    well the mix for funky superfly on the fan club edition is like the 45 version not on the red mtvh..but the other one..think label is blue and tan(or something like that..that is the better version in my opinion..I have only heard the fan club lp but I assume they have the same mix cause the actual record looks same.same label color.someone have the regular version to verify what mix it has?paging LOTUSLAND..TOM?haha

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    The easiest way to understand the difference is to listen to the Duplex 45 issue of "Funky Superfly" next to either the MTVH or REW issues.
    You'll see that the Duplex mix is brighter, crisper and ultimately better.

Convert that analog to the LP and you have money in the bank.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    yeah right. i should know.....but i don't have the other funky superfly lp to compare it to. i've just heard that the other record isn't as good. does it have all the same tunes???

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    ashrock-

what's up with the Weird 'Al' Yankovich private press album cover in your avatar?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    ashrock-

what's up with the Weird 'Al' Yankovich private press album cover in your avatar?

It's actually from wild wind on sound triangle...
    latin psych rock rare. avec new age caucasian soul man.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    well the mix for funky superfly on the fan club edition is like the 45 version not on the red mtvh..but the other one..think label is blue and tan(or something like that..that is the better version in my opinion..I have only heard the fan club lp but I assume they have the same mix cause the actual record looks same.same label color.someone have the regular version to verify what mix it has?paging LOTUSLAND..TOM?haha

Okay: posts like this are why everyone's so screwed up about this. No offense, but that's hard to understand.

Flat out: I know of 5 variations of the FS 45 (Red MTVH, White MTVH, REW, R&R, and Duplex) and 2 FS LPs (Regular, Fan Club Edition). From someone who knows, which versions of this song are exactly identical tracks? Which are different? Which tracks are on the LPs, and do their mixes differ? I have only heard the Red MTVH and Duplex 45 versions of the song.

Flow chart this shit if you have to.

Thanks.
    -Dr. Luck