Great quotes about the music you listen to.

2»

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "this sounds like that shit Archie and Jughead used to dance to on the cartoons"

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    this aint nothing new but a few years back i was talking with my aunt, my mom's oldest sister, about the 45s they all used to collect and she called them r&b records which i guess in my naivete i always connect r&b with that keith sweat shit, but when i thought about it new r&b couldnt be more removed from the og shit. not saying i dont like keith sweat cuz i do. ok, im talking too much

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    old people music

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    At an old job, a co-worker (who's musical tastes ran towards Color Me Badd and Ace of Base) told me to "turn off that heroin junkie crap" while I was listening to Massive Attack "No Protection" one day. Left me speechless.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Okay, I think I've heard enough "Uhhh" for today.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    old people music

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    *** You are ignoring this user ***

^
    is this dude's gimmick on every post or do I have some box checked somewhere that prevents me from seeing sabadababbabas posts?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "This is INCREDIBLE," proceeds to turn The Wrath of Kane way way up + adding more bass.

I like my mom.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    About 5-6 years ago, I rolled with a few friends to Myrtle Beach for a week. One of the dudes ends up hooking up with this sorority chick from "eastern Mizurah" college or some shit like that. At one point we were all hanging out, BBQing and listening to the Meters, and she stated "I thought only old black men listened to jazz."

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    (...but I do close the book on black music made after 1975).

PW, can you get into this a little bit more? I'm curious as to why.

And just to contribute a bit, I alwaaays get told that I'm listening to "Sex Jams."

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Back in the early nineties I was told that all I liked was "Cheesburger Rock" or "Pointy shoes Beatle Music"

My wife has referred to Free Jazz as 'headache music' as in "enjoy your headache music!"

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    B

My wife has referred to Free Jazz as 'headache music' as in "enjoy your headache music!"

I get this a lot from my fiance, and I started calling it, "that music you don't like." I really just don't play it when whe is home anymore, but when we were first dating I took her to an arkestra show and they were playing really out that night. She sat through the whole thing, but afterward she asked that we not go to that kind of show anymore.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    (...but I do close the book on black music made after 1975).

PW, can you get into this a little bit more? I'm curious as to why.

Okay, I do like rhythm & blues...from the 1948-75 timespan. The reason I don't like any soul after then is because the disco influence changed it for good, and the blues element was minimized. So, that means no disco, no rap, no new jack swing, no house, no Vandross-ish "quiet storm," no "modern soul," no nothing - none of this has really moved me personally, and that's just the way it is. Although every now and then there'll be some anomaly that catches my interest (like the occasional "neo-soul" act - I think Lucy Pearl were one of the greatest one-album groups that ever did it).

I will admit to liking the disco-ish stuff as a kid, but as I got older, it just didn't stick.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    when we were first dating I took her to an arkestra show

I consider it a good test, she didn't run away screaming.

Back in college, my first real date with the girl who became my first real long-term relationship was to a Replacements concert at the Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis Fall of 87. 'Pleased To Meet Me' was out and they were still in their 'anything goes' phase, but sometimes making an effort to stay sorta sober and play proffesionally. She had heard songs I had put on a tape or 2, but didn't know much about them or their rep for drunk-ass behavior. They came out, didn't finish a single song until their encore, which was a scorching version of 'Gimme Shelter' which was flawless, and about 12 verses of 'hello Dolly'. Oh, and Paul Westerberg played from the pit most of the show since he fell of stage during the first song.

Cindy was not impressed, but still stuck with me and was a good sport.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts

Dad, who's slightly more hip, called it "soul brother tighten up music"

I like this one!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Me: "So you're still teaching these days?"
    Wendell: "Awww shit yeah, man. You got to give the music away to keep it."