Com.Central's more hard hitting than News Networks

Dabney_SoulmanDabney_Soulman 890 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
over the last week both the Colbert Report and the daily Show have had guests on that were grilled about their politics and practices in a way that it seems any other news source is scared to doColbert interviewed Michael Brown last week confronting him on his E-mails during the disaster and what he was actually doing at the time. It was tense as fuck. I tried looking for footage online of thie interview but saw none on youtubeJon Stewart had John McCain on last night and directly confronted him about pandering for votes. McCain jokingly came out and said he is changing his style for the upcoming platform, it was ugly to hear but honest. Once again I've yet to see a video of it posted online.Did anyone else catch either of these? Why am I getting more in depth political interviews from comedians rather than news professionals?

Comments

• Man, that Jon Stewart interview was crazy...he liked asked McCain a question, and when McCain gave him spin and a non-answer, Stewart pressed him on it until he got an actual answer. Shit was CRA-ZY! I hadn't seen anything like that in AGES...

Check the rerun tonight at 8 if you missed it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Jon Stewart had John McCain on last night and directly confronted him about pandering for votes. McCain jokingly came out and said he is changing his style for the upcoming platform, it was ugly to hear but honest. Once again I'v yet to see a video of it posted online.

That shit was really good. Stewart genuinely likes McCain, but he wasn't gonna let the guy bullshit around a blatant hypocrisy, and he finally got him to admit that he's pandering to the fundie right-wing base. Which sucks. I think Stewart's "I like you, but come the fuck on, man" stance spoke for an awful lot of people. And it's sad that any other news network in the country would've just let McCain spout his talking points, skirting the real issue, and consider the interview a job well done.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    because nowadays with the "powers that be" controlling all forms of media... the only way to sneak in any leftwing comments on current political issues is through comedy... it seems to be the only format that goes uncensored [most likely because it is categorized as something to not be taken seriously]... and in the same way, comedy has become slightly educational. just listen to any bill hicks... he was the extreme. but it seems like a lot of comedians state their actual opinions on political issues through their routines... which is good. chris rock and dave chappelle have been tackling the racial/religious issues for the past few years... thank god jon stewart is taking that risk as it seems dennis miller sold out at one point.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Man, that Jon Stewart interview was crazy...he liked asked McCain a question, and when McCain gave him spin and a non-answer, Stewart pressed him on it until he got an actual answer. Shit was CRA-ZY! I hadn't seen anything like that in AGES...

John Stewart grills McCain

Sorry, it won't let me directly link. Just scroll down a bit to see the link to the video.

• Jon Stewart had John McCain on last night and directly confronted him about pandering for votes. McCain jokingly came out and said he is changing his style for the upcoming platform, it was ugly to hear but honest. Once again I'v yet to see a video of it posted online.

That shit was really good. Stewart genuinely likes McCain, but he wasn't gonna let the guy bullshit around a blatant hypocrisy, and he finally got him to admit that he's pandering to the fundie right-wing base. Which sucks. I think Stewart's "I like you, but come the fuck on, man" stance spoke for an awful lot of people. And it's sad that any other news network in the country would've just let McCain spout his talking points, skirting the real issue, and consider the interview a job well done.

EXACTLY.

But seriously though, why is a network called Comedy Central doing stuff this hard hitting and direct while networks like CNN & MSNBC are stuck on reporting on potential Los Angeles rainstorms...with experts?!?!

is the Daily show the new standard in media journalism?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    over the last week both the Colbert report and the daily hsow have had guests on that were grilled about their politics and practices in a way that it seems any other news source is scared to do

Colbert interviewed Michael Brown last week and directly confronted him on his E-mails during the disaster and what he was actually doing at the time. It was tense as fuck. I tried looking for footage online of thie interview but saw none on youtube

Jon Stewart had John McCain on last night and directly confronted him about pandering for votes. McCain jokingly came out and said he is changing his style for the upcoming platform, it was ugly to hear but honest. Once again I'v yet to see a video of it posted online.

Did anyone else catch either of these? Why am I getting more in depth political interviews from comedians rather than news professionals?

You are getting more in depth political interviews from "comedians" because Rupert Murdock doesn't own Comedy Central.

You are not finding these on youtube because Rupert Murdock owns the internet.

Seriously though, Jon Stewart is sharp as fuck. More than any old comedian in my opinion.

• "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Reading this right now, and it's making me realize just how ridiculous the political process in this country is. It's like the only way to truly confront it, is thru parody and humor.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

yes

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

So glad they are re-running this tonight!

I missed it and have been dying to see it.

To answer the original question: Politicians work for corporations and money and corporate money owns the media.

Nuff said?

• is the Daily show the new standard in media journalism?

yes

I'd think this was a joke if it werent so true.

Seems to be the closest thing we have to a Murrow nowadays

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

yes

I'd think this was a joke if it werent so true.

Seems to be the closest thing we have to a Murrow nowadays

it just blows my mind that it's the younger genereration that is open to real issues, real things going on in our nation. meanwhile the older generations are glued to CNN and MSNBC, watching missing person cases and listening to right wing bitches complain about online sex and lost dogs.

YA BOI!

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Colbert interviewed Michael Brown last week confronting him on his E-mails during the disaster and what he was actually doing at the time. It was tense as fuck. I tried looking for footage online of thie interview but saw none on youtube

Go to Comedy Central's site, hommie. They got the interview up on there.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    If you want to understand the news you are watching the wrong networks. Watch NewsHour with Jim Lehrer or even better pick up NYTimes or Wash Post.

or even better pick up NYTimes

Sorry but I've heard too many bad things about the NY Times over the last year or two.

Too many stories of them rolling over or being mouthpieces for the administration.
    I suppose if you are really careful with who's articles you read and know who to trust in terms of reporters...

I get my news from salon.com

Is it biased toward the left? Sure.
    But they've been breaking a lot of stories lately that no one else will touch.

on that site every day.

Recently they forced the government's hand on having to release the rest of the Abu Ghraib photos...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Seriously though, Jon Stewart is sharp as fuck. More than any old comedian in my opinion.

co-sign.

• or even better pick up NYTimes

Sorry but I've heard too many bad things about the NY Times over the last year or two.

Too many stories of them rolling over or being mouthpieces for the administration.
    I suppose if you are really careful with who's articles you read and know who to trust in terms of reporters...

on that site every day.

Recently they forced the government's hand on having to release the rest of the Abu Ghraib photos...

truth is you can't trust any Newsource by itself. Best to check several soures and try to see which ones are reporting a similar story.

Everyday I:
    -read the LA times while eating breakfast
    -listen to NPR while driving to work
    -check Salon.com & Guardian UK
    - Watch the daily show when I get home
    -catch up with the 1am showing of the O'Reilly Factor (usually while stoned)

I'm usually totaled by the end of that and pass out from fright

• I caught this on NPR yesterday- Interview with Ben Karlin writer and Exec on Daily Show and Colbert Report. Worth checking out...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5323008

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

actually i think stewart's stance was bullshit. he mainly attacked mccain for giving the commencement speech at falwell's liberty university. mccain was steadfast that his message at the university would be consistent with his overall beliefs, and disputed that he has given speeches at other universities who have some policies he does not agree with.
    stewart then retorted that mccain speaking at liberty uni was legitimizing falwell and his beliefs. i personally don't agree. futhermore, it makes stewart look like a hypocrite.
    the whole time they were having this convsersation, i was thinking about the time stewart went on crossfire. was stewart then somehow legitimizing carlson tucker's "dooshbaggery"?

while i wasn't a big fan of this segment or stewart's stance in this case, i do generally agree with your point dabney. i believe stewart has always been a great interviewer, asking in-depth meaningful, non-pandering questions.

peas
    mandrew

• actually i think stewart's stance was bullshit. he mainly attacked mccain for giving the commencement speech at falwell's liberty university. mccain was steadfast that his message at the university would be consistent with his overall beliefs, and disputed that he has given speeches at other universities who have some policies he does not agree with.
    stewart then retorted that mccain speaking at liberty uni was legitimizing falwell and his beliefs. i personally don't agree. futhermore, it makes stewart look like a hypocrite.
    the whole time they were having this convsersation, i was thinking about the time stewart went on crossfire. was stewart then somehow legitimizing carlson tucker's "dooshbaggery"?

while i wasn't a big fan of this segment or stewart's stance in this case, i do generally agree with your point dabney. i believe stewart has always been a great interviewer, asking in-depth meaningful, non-pandering questions.

peas
    mandrew

No. Stewart's retorts would only be bullshit if McCain actually went to Liberty U and called Falwell out for his ludicrous stances. But he's obviously beginning his campaign for '08 by trying to cozy up to the conservatives. He doesn't want to blow the nomination like he did in 2000 by appearing too antagonistic. All Stewart did was point that out, and McCain couldn't really argue with it.

or even better pick up NYTimes

on that site every day.

truth is you can't trust any Newsource by itself. Best to check several soures and try to see which ones are reporting a similar story.

Everyday I:
    -read the LA times while eating breakfast
    -listen to NPR while driving to work
    -check Salon.com & Guardian UK
    - Watch the daily show when I get home
    -catch up with the 1am showing of the O'Reilly Factor (usually while stoned)

I'm usually totaled by the end of that and pass out from fright

If I did this every day I might have to put a bullet in my head.
    Seriously.

Daily I check CNN and Salon and usually The Guardian, and by then I am so disgusted that I want to kill myself and others.

Maybe I should go back to what I was doing 6-7 years ago which is avoiding all news and just assuming the worst about the government and corporations (which, I hate to say it, was almost always accurate).

actually i think stewart's stance was bullshit. he mainly attacked mccain for giving the commencement speech at falwell's liberty university. mccain was steadfast that his message at the university would be consistent with his overall beliefs, and disputed that he has given speeches at other universities who have some policies he does not agree with.

peas
    mandrew

No. Stewart's retorts would only be bullshit if McCain actually went to Liberty U and called Falwell out for his ludicrous stances. But he's obviously beginning his campaign for '08 by trying to cozy up to the conservatives. He doesn't want to blow the nomination like he did in 2000 by appearing too antagonistic. All Stewart did was point that out, and McCain couldn't really argue with it.

Cosign.

A few years ago he was publicly chastising Falwell and Robertson.
    To see him cozying up now is beyond

Finally got to see the clip.

Can we get a "You're going into crazy base world" graemlin up in here?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Finally got to see the clip.

Can we get a "You're going into crazy base world" graemlin up in here?

How about a picture of McCain saying, "All your crazy base are belong to us!"