I Have Herpes

2»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "My brother did it and got bagged with two ounces"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    last time I got an STD test I literally had to demand that they test for herpes*. otherwise they don't include it on the normal panel. the doctor was like "we don't really advise testing for it as most people carry it and once you know you have it it may inhibit you socially, etc...." I'm like WTF? I sorta want to know if I'm placing any future sexual partners at risk. my homie said his dr. gave him the exact same run-around. the protocol these days apparently is not to test for it and just to treat it if symptoms ever arise.

(*negative batches!)

Huh. I asked for the whole panel about a month ago and while the whole "you may not want to know because so many people carry it without ever exhibiting symptoms" thing was proffered, once I said I was cool with knowing, that was that. As a side note, getting a completely clean bill of health from Planned Parenthood is a damn good feeling.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    last time I got an STD test I literally had to demand that they test for herpes*. otherwise they don't include it on the normal panel. the doctor was like "we don't really advise testing for it as most people carry it and once you know you have it it may inhibit you socially, etc...." I'm like WTF? I sorta want to know if I'm placing any future sexual partners at risk. my homie said his dr. gave him the exact same run-around. the protocol these days apparently is not to test for it and just to treat it if symptoms ever arise.

(*negative batches!)

Huh. I asked for the whole panel about a month ago and while the whole "you may not want to know because so many people carry it without ever exhibiting symptoms" thing was proffered, once I said I was cool with knowing, that was that. As a side note, getting a completely clean bill of health from Planned Parenthood is a damn good feeling.

good to hear they didn't sweat you too much. still the very idea of the doctor actually counseling "not knowing" is sorta weird to me.