Garage / Yard sale finds

2»

Comments

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    I was always led to believe you east coast/mid west guys found like entire Meters collections at yard sales.

Neville C has told me that he got the first Meters, Minnie Ripperton's Come To My Garden, The first or second Cymande and the first Oneness of Juju all at a Saturday am garage sale in DC(forgive me if I got any of this twisted, Neville). Although this was several years back, it can happen.

i once found about a jillion dollars worth of lp's and 12's at a garage sale. i was totally broke (and 100% uninformed at the time) the lady died a couple weeks after making the 500 records i got from her all i ever saw. probably about 2-5,000 more to get at.

in the 500 was, tom brock lp, gaston 'my queen' sealed, cal robert 100lbs of chocolate, joey jefferson band, 10xsealed copies of 'bodyfusion' 12" by starvue,next movementlp(trumpetcover), step by step on brunswick, donna mcgee, sins of satan (buddah), black fairy, nat riggins, lee moses, kelly jones jr 12", just went on and on , the lady was the sister of dude who managed the local r&b station during the 70's....jesus i don't even want to think about all the disco 12's left behind. just dripping with major label heat...

of course the only thing on display at the garage sale was medical walkers and green bay packers jersies.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I was always led to believe you east coast/mid west guys found like entire Meters collections at yard sales.

Neville C has told me that he got the first Meters, Minnie Ripperton's Come To My Garden, The first or second Cymande and the first Oneness of Juju all at a Saturday am garage sale in DC(forgive me if I got any of this twisted, Neville). Although this was several years back, it can happen.

i once found about a jillion dollars worth of lp's and 12's at a garage sale. i was totally broke (and 100% uninformed at the time) the lady died a couple weeks after making the 500 records i got from her all i ever saw. probably about 2-5,000 more to get at.

in the 500 was, tom brock lp, gaston 'my queen' sealed, cal robert 100lbs of chocolate, joey jefferson band, 10xsealed copies of 'bodyfusion' 12" by starvue,next movementlp(trumpetcover), step by step on brunswick, donna mcgee, sins of satan (buddah), black fairy, nat riggins, lee moses, kelly jones jr 12", just went on and on , the lady was the sister of dude who managed the local r&b station during the 70's....jesus i don't even want to think about all the disco 12's left behind. just dripping with major label heat...

of course the only thing on display at the garage sale was medical walkers and green bay packers jersies.

i'm totally confused.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

My philosophy is: the records find you. Go everywhere, always look. I've found some of my best pieces nearly free in the most unexpected places.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    I got an Arhchie Whitewater og for 25 cents at a random yard sale in upstate NY. Dude had a nice collection of psych and folk, too. He was babyboomer with good taste in music...believe, a lot of these guys are alive and well, and so are their records.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    In November, right before I moved out of the L.A. area, I got tipped off about a yard sale. The homeowner had passed away, and the family was selling as much stuff as they could. He was a big collector of records and books. I got to it before the general public, but after a few dealers and shop owners. Luckily, he had stuff hidden all over, so you just had to move shit to uncover hidden records. He even had records in the backyard all wrapped up in tarps, but fortunately none of it was worth much. I only took pieces that were in good shape. I wish I had gotten there first, and that my book knowledge was on point. I got these and a bunch of sealed 80's hiphop for a dollar a piece:

It was a good send off!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    In November, right before I moved out of the L.A. area, I got tipped off about a yard sale. The homeowner had passed away, and the family was selling as much stuff as they could. He was a big collector of records and books. I got to it before the general public, but after a few dealers and shop owners. Luckily, he had stuff hidden all over, so you just had to move shit to uncover hidden records. He even had records in the backyard all wrapped up in tarps, but fortunately none of it was worth much. I only took pieces that were in good shape. I wish I had gotten there first, and that my book knowledge was on point. I got these and a bunch of sealed 80's hiphop for a dollar a piece:

It was a good send off!

Jesus - I wonder what you missed?!?!?!

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Yeah I had thought about it, but couldn't complain. To be honest it was kind of sad going through the prized/collected possessions of a guy who wasn't there to protect'em. That's probably guilt... for real.

To be honest it was kind of sad going through the prized/collected possessions of a guy who wasn't there to protect'em. That's probably guilt... for real.

yeah, I've felt this way before too.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    To be honest it was kind of sad going through the prized/collected possessions of a guy who wasn't there to protect'em. That's probably guilt... for real.

and how about when you are going through the records with the teary eyed widow standing right beside you?

and how about when you are going through the records with the teary eyed widow standing right beside you?

I'm not sure I could deal with that.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I always take comfort in looking at dudes trying out the old man's suits and ties while I go away with the records.

I always take comfort in looking at dudes trying out the old man's suits and ties while I go away with the records.

Don't sleep on asking about nubile young maidens too!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Don't sleep on asking about nubile young maidens too!

"excuse me old mother, are there any vulnerable virgins about?"

---