Garage / Yard sale finds

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
The season is about to be upon us in the East. Anyone have good yard sale finds? i have nothing major to report, but am looking for inspiration going into spring.Dr joel

Comments

• Some serious cookware, two unused food processors, a handful of vinyl/midcentury chairs, including one great bent ply chair that is my favorite, and a dope first edition book i mentioned at the end of the "worst record store," thread as a non-sequiter.

no records, though.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    spring is here.

hells yeah baby. I'm ready to tear it up.

I think it really needs to be warm for a few weekends straight before yard sales start appearing though...

---

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The local flea market (the one that in the past has yielded $2 copies of Moses Dillard, the soundtrack with "Sessomatto", Brasilian Elis Regina pressings, Live Convention 82, DD & Steinski Lessons 1-3, Everyday People "Pimp Walk" 45, etc.) has been totally dead for records all winter. Dead.

So yesterday I had a table at the town's annual record show, and not one but two people told me "Man there were SO MANY records at the flea market this morning!"

It's all good though. I sold some wax to strutters digdug and misterc (as well as the owner of Scorpio Records in NJ ) and made over $500 total. So I treated myself to a $3 copy of '74 JAILBREAK to ease my sorrow about missing the flea market.

I'd plan on hitting the flea next weekend to make up for what I missed yesterday, but I'm probably going to have a table at the OTHER local record show instead. Ah... hiding from amazing southern weather and cheap records by being holed up in a hotel convention room with overpriced records and old dudes who like KISS... ain't nothing like it.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i went to a yard sale this weekend and i have to admit that it was the first time i've ever seen a HORSE for sale at one... yes, a living, breathing horse... dunno how much they wanted, but i hate horses anyway...

i did find a BARRY WHITE - Stone Gon' LP with all the track titles in Spanish though... i know it's not worth anything, but i thought it was cool. besides it was cheap & my copy was all beat-up.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    i've never had really good luck with garage sales. whenever i go to them it's like they have a table, an old computer monitor, three remote controls with no batteries and an old answering machine from like 1985 and that's it. wack.

white people always have such bad records too. it's unbelievable people so many people used to actually listen to john denver.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i've never had really good luck with garage sales. whenever i go to them it's like they have a table, an old computer monitor, three remote controls with no batteries and an old answering machine from like 1985 and that's it. wack.

white people always have such bad records too. it's unbelievable people so many people used to actually listen to john denver.

this is my experience too - broken computers and dirty baby junk. It must be regional.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

this is my experience too - broken computers and dirty baby junk. It must be universal[/b].

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    So yesterday I had a table at the town's annual record show, and not one but two people told me "Man there were SO MANY records at the flea market this morning!"

Hookman told me there was as many records as he'd EVER seen at the flea yesterday, so after the show I made a beeline... you were missing NOTHING my man

I had already gone Saturday and gotten 25 records on the cheap (of which you probably would've snagged less than half), and it was mostly just the same shit being flogged Sunday... only purchases were a few exploito records from a couple grannies (what did they have SPACED-OUT DISCO for, anyway?)

I was always led to believe you east coast/mid west guys found like entire Meters collections at yard sales.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The only yard sale score I can remember ever having was a strange one... I actually poked around my neighborhood looking for records at yard sales (in a college area that was dense with them during the Summer) and ACTUALLY CAME UP on a nice collection... stuff like Sonic Youth on Neutral, early Yo La Tengo, Stooges, etc that a 30-something who had no use for vinyl anymore was unloading, at 1 or 2 bucks a pop

stuff like Sonic Youth on Neutral, early Yo La Tengo, Stooges, etc that a 30-something who had no use for vinyl anymore was unloading

It's about that time.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I was always led to believe you east coast/mid west guys found like entire Meters collections at yard sales.

Neville C has told me that he got the first Meters, Minnie Ripperton's Come To My Garden, The first or second Cymande and the first Oneness of Juju all at a Saturday am garage sale in DC(forgive me if I got any of this twisted, Neville). Although this was several years back, it can happen.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I was walking/skating to the skatepark up the road from my folk's place back in like 97/98 & stopped in at a garage sale on the way. Scored a box of about 50 records, all great stuff from 60s British Invasion/Blues (Mayall, Pretty Things/Stones etc.) all the way through to 80s stuff like The Smiths etc, they worked out at like 50c each. Needless to say, I had to go get my car & didn't get a skate in. Also picked up a Technics SL230 with the original Technics Cartridge & a Shure V15 Cartridge, both in headshells for $5 all up.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You can come up but like anything regarding record collecting, it depends on the demographics of your geographic location and timing.

the best is around 6pm or so when the garage sale is over and they just leave boxes of the leftover stuff with a sign that says FREE.

at 1 particular garage sale [after it was over], i found for free... a new $150 macintosh router still in the box, plenty of cool books & vhs tapes (including david lynch movies), a very nice glass frame (which i put a poster of a bunch of 45's in and have hanging on my wall), and a very retro green chair... no records at that one though... but i swear if i was a book seller on ebay i coulda made a KILLING for free.

• Fuck a garage sale.

I have cultivated a friendship with a dude in his late 60's from back when I used to work in a used store.

Homeboy just dropped it on me that he's got 800+ jazz LP's from his youth - 1970's in his garage at his cottage north of the city.

Dude is so stoked that a young buck like myself digs jazz that he's going to give me the whole lot.

Fuck garage sales and fuck paying for another record for at least a year!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    dunno how much they wanted, but i hate horses anyway...

bro, you are rapidly moving up my favorite strutters list.

if you give him nothing in return [i don't care what he said]... you are a greedy m0f0

• if you give him nothing in return [i don't care what he said]... you are a greedy m0f0

Not that it concerns you, but we trade each other cd-r's and books all the time. I am planning to offer my services to help him 'open' the cottage for the year - a.k.a. a weekend of free labour.

It's not my fault dude wants me to inherit heat. I'm not like I'm going to sell anything either - he just has no use for them as he's re-bought everything on CD.

i'm not mad at all... i think it's cool you got lucky... but if someone/anyone gives me that much for free, i'd definitely feel in debt... and i would see what i could give them in return [most likely something of equal value to them... and obviously his records arent worth much TO HIM]. if you're helping him out with shit, that's cool then.

that first post just sounded like you were proud to scam some old neighbor outta his old collection though... was just making sure... not that it concerns me. but again, that's cool.

• We be cool, doggie.

I wasn't trying to brag - in fact I've only made one 'weekend flosses' post, and it didn't even contain .jpg raer!

I'm just relieved to be saving some $$$ - just the thought of this find is keeping me off eBay and from scouring the local stores. It's also nice to know I won't have to sift through Dire Straits, James Gang, and Olivia Newton-John raer this summer at garage sales.

i've got a feeling it's gonna be a goldmine... he sounds like a collector (if he went as far as rebuying almost everything on CD)... just knowing that everything there is gonna be OG press is cool enough. congrats!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just a real headz up - ALL BOSTON/MA STRUTTERS!!!

It looks like it is ON - I'll be hosting the first semi-annual
    JP Record Swap & Vinyl Yard Sale early next month. Many many
    Strutters and Waxidermists are already on record as being down,
    and more are being recruited as you read this.

We will be selling off our dollar bin chuff to the locals,
    and swapping our "big dog" pieces amongst ourselves. I personally promise
    many boxes of jazz, rock, soul, hip hop, punk - all for sale at discount
    prices, from dollar boxes to set sale goodies. Box after box of
    45's, too - including lots of soul.

More info, get at me on PM. And watch the Announcements section for
    the straight dope as the time nears. DO NOT SLEEP - this could be just
    the event Boston area Strutters have been waiting for.

Oh, and much beer will be drank and herbals inhaled - believe this!!

...and btw, I come up lovely at yard sales all summer long.
    It helps that I live in a hipsteur urban neighborhood, and even
    more so that my job involves me driving a truck around leisurely
    on Saturday mornings. Some weekends I hit 20 yard sales in 4 hours,
    depending on where the work takes me...

...last year's finds included IBB "Bongo Rock" LP for free (helped the
    girl carry boxes outside to set up) some OG Blue Notes, punk rock
    raers and a grip of reggae 45's...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Post the info here or you're soft.

I already feel bad hijacking this thread and straying from the
    Announcements section - details are not final, but target
    date is Sunday, May 7. Weather permitting, and people being
    available for that date is a factor. The best part is
    my house's location - right in the middle of the Jamaica
    Plain business district, big house with a big yard on the
    main street. My front walk is a T bus stop -
    people have offered me MONEY to hold
    yard sales at my house, just because the loc is so prime,
    with absolutely ideal foot traffic. JP hipsters should clean
    out our dollar boxes, while the "good old boy network" works
    on some back room deals

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    look at what i just found... co-worker, joel, reading up on new products.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    So, you're abstractly calling us "homos" because of interest in a record swap? Boooooooooo

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    I got a vestax handytrax for 90 bucks. And the records in photo. Nothing anmazing but couldnt resist buying some records for my first garage sale weekend.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I already feel bad hijacking this thread and straying from the
    Announcements section - details are not final, but target
    date is Sunday, May 7. Weather permitting, and people being
    available for that date is a factor. The best part is
    my house's location - right in the middle of the Jamaica
    Plain business district, big house with a big yard on the
    main street. My front walk is a T bus stop -
    people have offered me MONEY to hold
    yard sales at my house, just because the loc is so prime,
    with absolutely ideal foot traffic. JP hipsters should clean
    out our dollar boxes, while the "good old boy network" works