Bands that jumped the shark

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
all i can say is WOWi saw the new Flaming Lps video the other day.. holy shit.. a new level of WTF bad has been achieved.First the song was absolute dreck.. the YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH song?? WTF??? no hook, loads of irrtiating bits and pieces all cobbled together in a sad effort to appear prog.The video that accompanied the song was sooooooo abysmally horrid i really could not believe it!!! like a dude covered in burgers being chased by fat people.. and then a paris hilton chick covered in donuts chased by cops? followed by Wayne Coyne covered i nsteaks being chased by a werewolf??it seems the more money / popular this band gets the WORSE the projects they use the resources for.. i mean this video didnt look cheap... i would argue that the Lips havent really done anything worth listening to since Clouds Taste Metallic.. but on relistening to that record its hard to see how it actually holds up.. super loud to the point of abrasive production dates it firmly to its era (see other unlisteanble 90's artifacts like dinosaur jrs "where you been").yet somehow these dudes got away with making the same over produced record twice (soft bulletin followed by that even worse yoshimi record), toured with a pre recorded set, played as other 90's casualty Beck's backup band etc etc and they put out a DVD.. what the hell is going on? i mean they were a vaguely interesting also ran band with one biref moment in the sun (beverly hills 90210!!) who seem to get more and more popular the worse they get?i wonder are people finally ready to admit these dudes have jumped the shark?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Flaming Lips jumped the shark a looooooong time ago.
    They were good in the mid-late 80's, when they were putting out
    their own albums. I liked some of the major label stuff, like
    "Soft Bulletin" was at least cool for a major label big budget
    LP, but you shouldn't be expecting too much from these guys anymore.

Having said that, the doc about them that is out on DVD is pretty
    entertaining, I actually saw it in a cinema last summer - makes you
    realize that for all the exposure and success, they mostly come off
    like they are still your local moderately popular bar band...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rock jumped the shark a looooooong time ago.