lil stevie vs. lil michael

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The Sylvers didnt/dont have the popularity of the J5, so cats think they're "overlooked/underated/raer".

Not quite true. Their later disco-ish records on Capitol were ALL OVER the radio in 1975-77 ("Boogie Fever," "Hot Line," "High School Dance," etc.). I don't buy that "overlooked/underrated" number - the Sylvers didn't become the institutions that the Jacksons were, but they had their moment.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The Sylvers didnt/dont have the popularity of the J5, so cats THINK[/b] they're "overlooked/underated/raer".

Not quite true. Their later disco-ish records on Capitol were ALL OVER the radio in 1975-77 ("Boogie Fever," "Hot Line," "High School Dance," etc.). I don't buy that "overlooked/underrated" number - the Sylvers didn't become the institutions that the Jacksons were, but they had their moment.

They had their moment here in america. I was checkin' them then, but never once did I place them ahead of J5. To young cats from other countries or just plain ole' young cats who didnt see the Sylvers on Soul Train/Merv Griffin/etc' they might think that due to sampling/diggin' popularity, the Sylvers might rep the obscure. "Yo', Sylvers 2 iz that shit!"
    The average 18 year old doesn't know the The Sylvers, but they have been invited to Neverland.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That's a tough one. I love lil' Michael as well as lil' Stevie. I think I have played "I'll Be There" or "Ben" a zillion times, trying to mimick young MJ in the living room, standing in front of the mirror like:

"Don't you know baby, yeah yeah???I'll be theeeeeeeeeree, Iiii'll be theeeeeere"

I like the uptempo J5 stuff, but somehow the slow tunes they/he did really resonated with me when I was a kid.

I have the same experience with Stevie and "Fingertips". Played that song over and over and over again. I loved the energy of that recording and the repeated call-and-response routine with the crowd:

"Everybody say yeeaaah - Yeah!"

I remember thinking: "Wow, this kid is the same age as me, and he's got this huge crowd in the palm of his hand". That was just amazing to me.

Viewed solely as child performers it's a tie for me, but looking at their entire catalogue, I'll go with Stevie. His overall output has been way more consistent than Michael's.

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    i take lil michael over lil stevie but big stevie over big michael thriller or no thriller (thats a EASY one)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

jackson five sucked/sucks.

FUCKING TRIPPING.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How is the Edmund Sylvers LP? I just heard his version of That Burning Love song by Rene & Angela/Plush.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    i take lil michael over lil stevie but big stevie over big michael thriller or no thriller

• fxxk!!!