R.I.P Don Alias

GNZGNZ 68 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Dec. 25 1939---March 28, 2006

Comments

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    http://www.pmrecords.org/StoneAlliance.shtml

Stone Alliance (Alias, Gene Perla, Steve Grossman) video and mp3 clips.
    Most people recognize alias for his percussion work but he could rock a set as well.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    weird...i just found a copy of the Stone Alliance Lp with "Sweetie Pie" on it today. Damn....RIP Don.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Most people recognize alias for his percussion work but he could rock a set as well.

like on this album...

R.I.P.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

like on this album...

and this (amongst the congas)

master of the Zulu Stomp, so unique... R.I.P!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    noooo!

damn ... he is such a legend.

RIP

• Monium is one of my favorite joints. I remember when he used to be on Night Shift with David Sanborn & Jools Holland. He always looked like his whole spirit was into his playing.

Monium is one of my favorite joints

as in...

??

Are you talking about Steig or Alias? Alias didn't play on this record. Steig was on Night Shift?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

as in...

??

Are you talking about Steig or Alias? Alias didn't play on this record. Steig was on Night Shift?

That's a good record. Time for a revisit.

R.I.P.
    Don Alias

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    R.I.P. Don Alias. I really liked his style of playing with Jeremy Steig and Stone Alliance/Steve Grossman. Expressive and rough.

This one is going on the turntable now:

• Rest In Peace

as in...

??

That's a good record. Time for a revisit.

R.I.P.
    Don Alias

This thread sparked the revisiting of the Steig's catalog with me as well. I peeped Jeremy & The Satyrs this morning. More a rock album really, but I found it to be better than the last time I listened to it (3 or 4 years ago). I need to check out Energy and Monium again too. I have some other joints that are good (This Is... on SS, Outlaws with Eddie Gomez, Temple of Birth) that will probably get some rotations this weekend.

How is Wayfaring Stranger though? I never heard this one...

Sorry to get off topic, no disrespect to Don Alias (R.I.P.)...