Johnny Copeland

ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I summon this thread in order to give props to JOHNNY "CLYDE" COPELAND.I knew about his few simi-hits like "Hurt, Hurt, Hurt" and his unappealing(imo)blues career but, I never knew about his earlier works. "Suffering City","You're Gonna Reap What You Sow","May The Best Man Win","I Got To Go Home", etc. I've been listening to this comp. "Down On Bending Knees- The Early Days Vol.2" on Mr. R&B Records. I flip it over & over. It is truly amazing. His crossover from R&B to Soul is smoother than Jessica Alba's lucious ass.JOHNNY COPELAND IS Real headz that know, post below.I already hear

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    good god, i have never heard of this man, but he comes with the most highest of praise (and i aint talking alba)

any chance of a soundbite?

just a wee one?

and in the name of equality, next time im drunk i will scour the internets for hot looking guys in saucy swimming action...

again.

• he did some stuff for Patrick Adam??s Cloud One and P&P Records..

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm with you on Copeland. What little I've heard of his later blues records on Rounder is actually not bad for Jake-and-Elwood tourist-blues-club music, but it's his earlier soul sides that keep me coming back. I'd definitely recommend his Wand single "It's Me"/"The Invitation."

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    he did some stuff for Patrick Adam??s Cloud One and P&P Records..

Johnny Copeland didn't have anything to do with that Atmosphere Strutt 12" that his name is on.

---

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I'm with you on Copeland. What little I've heard of his later blues records on Rounder is actually not bad for Jake-and-Elwood tourist-blues-club music, but it's his earlier soul sides that keep me coming back. I'd definitely recommend his Wand single "It's Me"/"The Invitation."
    co-sign, there is always usually one or two good cuts on those later records, but the early stuff is where it's at for sure.

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts

Johnny Copeland didn't have anything to do with that Atmosphere Strutt 12" that his name is on.

---

I remember Patrick Adams once saying that Copeland was sent out to promote the song and also to give him a boost

• also father of Shemekia Copeland, who isn't too shabby herself.

---

I remember Patrick Adams once saying that Copeland was sent out to promote the song and also to give him a boost

Sure it couldn't have been an unrelated singer with the same name?

---

Could well be but it seems like he could have been the same guy as he moved to NYC in 1975 looking for gigs as the blues was not as popular in Houston

---

Could well be but it seems like he could have been the same guy as he moved to NYC in 1975 looking for gigs as the blues was not as popular in Houston

I believe you, 'cept for the fact that NYC was, for the longest time, not a big blues town (although it may be different now). Seems to me that if the blues was dying out in Houston in 1975, New York would have been the LAST place you'd go to find it...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    My uncle's name is Johnny Copeland...He's a district manager for Allstate Insurance. I clicked on this thread to assure all of you that "you're in good hands."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

I believe you, 'cept for the fact that NYC was, for the longest time, not a big blues town (although it may be different now). Seems to me that if the blues was dying out in Houston in 1975, New York would have been the LAST place you'd go to find it...

but P&P put out some blues records...some lps...whose names escape me now!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    This is what Patrick Adams said on a raregroove board:

"Johnny Copeland, a great performer in his own right, had nothing to do with "atmosphere Strutt". At the time I was unwilling to go out and gig to support the record so the company tryed to give Copeland a boost by sending him out to gig".

---

This isn't bad for a "supersession" jam album (at least what I've heard here & there). "She's Into Something" is one of the few Robert Cray performances I can listen to anymore. BUT[/b], as far as Copeland goes, I'm stickin' with the soulish stuff that my man Shingaling mentioned up top!

but P&P put out some blues records...some lps...whose names escape me now!

Yeah that was King David had an album on P&P called "Sings the blues" and a couple of 12"s, "Stoop Down Baby"/"Hitch Hike One More Time", Think he also had a 12" on Queen Constance?