Just Blaze's Sound Library Receipt

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0613,breihan,72671,22.html
He walks out of the Sound Library with B>hundreds of dollars' worth of old LPs: The Body and Soul of Tom Jones, Lalo Schifrin's soundtrack to Kelly's Heroes, an old Sly and the Family Stone album/B>.
I know this is like Kanye on the cover of Scratch with a $18 I>Let's Get It On/I> round two, but this shit just doesn't make sense in the internet age. I think sometimes producers go to these high profile boutique stores just to ball for the sake of balling. I mean Tom Fucking Jones?In all seriousness, it's a pretty good read. I mostly posted this because just blaze is the most able dude on the internet, and the strut needs more posters to recover from the waxodus. Just, I got some records for sale if you need 'em dude. Hit me up.i also want to know why Good didn't get a nod. We all saw the pictoral evidence. Is the voice somehow immune to the pull of our [i]industry insider/I>?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Noz,

It also might be that Breihan doesn't know enough about records to know that naming "Kelly's Heroes" isn't going to impress anyone in the know. I'm just kind of suprised that Blaze wouldn't have that soundtrack or an old Sly and Family Stone album already.

And yeah, this is a solid profile. I'm kind of chuckling imagining Just and Dan having a convo together. I just picked up this 12" from Jinx by Automator called "King of the Beats" from 1990.

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0613,breihan,72671,22.html

He walks out of the Sound Library with B>hundreds of dollars' worth of old LPs: The Body and Soul of Tom Jones, Lalo Schifrin's soundtrack to Kelly's Heroes, an old Sly and the Family Stone album/B>.

I know this is like Kanye on the cover of Scratch with a $18 I>Let's Get It On/I> round two, but this shit just doesn't make sense in the internet age. I think sometimes producers go to these high profile boutique stores just to ball for the sake of balling. I mean Tom Fucking Jones?

In all seriousness, it's a pretty good read. I mostly posted this because just blaze is the most able dude on the internet, and the strut needs more posters to recover from the waxodus. Just, I got some records for sale if you need 'em dude. Hit me up.

i also want to know why Good didn't get a nod. We all saw the pictoral evidence. Is the voice somehow immune to the pull of our [i]industry insider/I>?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    It also might be that Breihan doesn't know enough about records

This is a good point. As Faux has pointed out on multiple occassions, Breihan is pretty much incompetant when it comes to recognizing even the most obvious of UBB style breaks.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Towards the end of the article Just points out a lot of producers have faded into obscurity. He also hints that he just fell into producing after Rutgers...so my question is, what does Just Blaze really want to do? Run a label?

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    so my question is, what does Just Blaze really want to do?

make it through calculus 4?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    He walks out of the Sound Library with B>hundreds of dollars' worth of old LPs: The Body and Soul of Tom Jones[/b]

http://www.rockchalk.co.kr/attach/0128/050128170050834186/837891.jpg" alt="" />

• I just picked up this 12" from Jinx by Automator called "King of the Beats" from 1990.

O, did you know that Burt "King" Kong put together the collage for that 12" cover? Pretty funny stuff.

I just picked up this 12" from Jinx by Automator called "King of the Beats" from 1990.

O, did you know that Burt "King" Kong put together the collage for that 12" cover? Pretty funny stuff.

I didn't realize Burt handled that. Hey, it was better than the cornball cover of "Music to Be Murdered By"

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    wait, just blaze just bought that lalo schrifin record i got at goodwill for a quarte... err i mean, YO JUST BLAZE REPS KELLYS HEROES. i will sell my copy for a starting bid of 50 bucks. please PM me with your bids.

have a nice night.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I can't really be mad, it rings a little better than "At Good Records he walked out with a rare italian soundtrack and accurately-priced soul & hip-hop records that I don't know." I gets no Dan Nakamura, dawg.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I gets no Dan Nakamura, dawg.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    wait, just blaze just bought that lalo schrifin record i got at goodwill for a quarte... err i mean, YO JUST BLAZE REPS KELLYS HEROES. i will sell my copy for a starting bid of 50 bucks. please PM me with your bids.

have a nice night.

Dudes, just blaze is a producer. Hence, he is digging around for samples. Not archiving them in some giant basement expidit archive.

At least they mentioned the italian soundtrack. :/

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I mean, i know hes a serious collectro as well, but you know that tom jones mabye has some horn stabs on it and shit. feel me?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I mean, i know hes a serious collectro as well, but you know that tom jones mabye has some horn stabs on it and shit. feel me?

Maybe?

GET UP ON YOUR SHIT!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is a good point. As Faux has pointed out on multiple occassions, Breihan is pretty much incompetant when it comes to recognizing even the most obvious of UBB style breaks.

There was a piece he wrote on that Tony Yayo track that is the umpteenth looping of "Everybody Loves the Sunshine," in which he praised "the production's laser-like synth stabs"...

• I'm sure that Blaze buys shit he already has all the time. I know a couple producers with a lot less $ than him that buy crazy common records for high prices and buy them over and over again because they don't remember what they have and where they have it. They buy these records, sample them, and then don't keep track of them because they never plan on using them again. Then, when they do need them again, they are either forget they have them, forget where they are or they've already trashed them.

If you got paid thousands and thousands of dollars for a beat and you've got an idea for a beat in your head that requires a .50 Tom Jones record, would you spend days looking for it in your spot? Or spend days waiting for it to end on eBay and get it shipped? Or would you hit a bunch of thrifts hoping that the thrift store common ends up showing up that day? All to save a few dollars. Or, would you spend a couple a couple dollars more (less than 1% of the money you'll make off that record for the beat, if sold) and get it at A-1?

Not to mention, Just spending that consistent money there is what makes stores like A1 willing to hold that S.O.U.L. record for him I imagine.

• It also might be that Breihan doesn't know enough about records

There was a piece he wrote on that Tony Yayo track that is the umpteenth looping of "Everybody Loves the Sunshine," in which he praised "the production's laser-like synth stabs"...

In general, dude is one of the most uninformed hip-hop writers I have ever encountered, and in the brave new world of the blog, that's a tough title to hold on to.

In general, dude is one of the most uninformed hip-hop writers I have ever encountered, and in the brave new world of the blog, that's a tough title to hold on to.

He seems well-intentioned, but I have a strong sense that he discovered rap about eight months ago...

Here's the bottomline (and I agree with what's said below):

Who the fuck really cares if Blaze is buying dumb ass heat or not from the Sound Library.

HE MAKES DUMB ASS HEAT, which is more than 99.9% of all these collectors who think they're "producers."

I'm sure that Blaze buys shit he already has all the time. I know a couple producers with a lot less $ than him that buy crazy common records for high prices and buy them over and over again because they don't remember what they have and where they have it. They buy these records, sample them, and then don't keep track of them because they never plan on using them again. Then, when they do need them again, they are either forget they have them, forget where they are or they've already trashed them.

If you got paid thousands and thousands of dollars for a beat and you've got an idea for a beat in your head that requires a .50 Tom Jones record, would you spend days looking for it in your spot? Or spend days waiting for it to end on eBay and get it shipped? Or would you hit a bunch of thrifts hoping that the thrift store common ends up showing up that day? All to save a few dollars. Or, would you spend a couple a couple dollars more (less than 1% of the money you'll make off that record for the beat, if sold) and get it at A-1?

Not to mention, Just spending that consistent money there is what makes stores like A1 willing to hold that S.O.U.L. record for him I imagine.

guying dumb assheat

If you got paid thousands and thousands of dollars for a beat and you've got an idea for a beat in your head that requires a .50 Tom Jones record, would you spend days looking for it in your spot? Or spend days waiting for it to end on eBay and get it shipped? Or would you hit a bunch of thrifts hoping that the thrift store common ends up showing up that day? All to save a few dollars.

Most producers I deal with (Just Blaze included) are not so cheap that they need to wait 3 months, spend $50 on gas, and travel all over to find a record for $20 less than what a store in downtown NYC is charging.

That's more a "collectro" thing. I try to discourage it, but what do I know.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

He bought it for Tom's cover of Ain't No Sunshine. It's good. Case closed.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "When he comes, he comes hard[/b] ."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "I could rap," he says. "I could rap right now if I wanted to. I rap probably better than most rappers."

Can someone confirm/deny this? I can't think of a just blaze verse right now...

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I can't remember if he rapped on "Just Blaze, Bleek and Free"? All i remember is some intro where he says "stick to making beats? I'll stick to your moms..."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Where is Mike Theodore now?[/b]

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    The name is Sir Tom to you bitches!

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

He seems well-intentioned, but I have a strong sense that he discovered rap about eight months ago...

Actually, about eight months ago Tom confused Raekwon with RAWKAN:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...true#Post301630

Anyway. Just Blaze is free to buy overpriced records at digger boutiques so long as he continues to make good tracks. Is it really any more complicated than that?

"I could rap," he says. "I could rap right now if I wanted to. I rap probably better than most rappers."

Can someone confirm/deny this? I can't think of a just blaze verse right now...

Kanye better watch his back.

• I can't remember if he rapped on "Just Blaze, Bleek and Free"? All i remember is some intro where he says "stick to making beats? I'll stick to your moms..."

No he didn't spit a verse on that. However, this track might have been even better if it was just "Blaze and Free," same amount of MCs...