Insuring records?

mistercmisterc 329 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone on here have their records insured, or know how to go about this, in case of fire, theft, etc. I'm guessing an insurance company would want items like these appraised since they fall under antiques/collectables. The dilemma is the majority of people on here don't have records with a standard value: 78's, Beatles "mistakes", and so on. Since most of my records have fluctuating value and no professional set price it would seem insuring them would be difficult. Beleive me, I'm the last person concerned with monetary/baseball card value of my albums, but have you ever considered how down you'd be if your colecction got wiped out? I think everyone would feel some kind of compensation for your time, hard work and money. Thanks

Comments

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    I have insurance----my collection is insured for $50 000...........costs me $20 a month-------------that's theft, fire, water damage(but the water can't come from an open window apparently )-----------I had one of the guys come over and take photos-------explained that whilst some are only worth a dollar (all the children's records) a bunch are worth several hundred or so---------so we just averaged it out on the 5 000 or so records at $10 each-----------now, this is a low amount, and to sell over a long period of time, I would make more, but, to insure for a higher amount, I would've been paying around $50 a month, and, since I don't feel anything is going to happen, and I don't want to pay that much.........

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    www.collectinsure.com

I would advise submitting an inventory even though they claim you don't need one.

yeah, it's funny, cuz the guy said I might need to do that at first, then said I didn't need to worry about it.............I was thinking about just submitting all the raers over $50

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    y'all mocked me at first for listing my shit...but now NOW...

BWAHAHAHAHA![/b]

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yeah, it's funny, cuz the guy said I might need to do that at first, then said I didn't need to worry about it.............I was thinking about just submitting all the raers over $50

That's a good idea, although I would lower that maybe to $20. If you think about your average, there are a lot of records you would be pissed to only get $10 for.

there are a lot of records you would be pissed to only get $10 for.

no dizzy

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Thanks for the link, and thanks to everyone for the advice.