Who is doing Hendrix now?
    Who is doing Allman now?
    ------------------------------------
    Who is doing Jackson Pollock now?
    Who is doing Willem de Kooning now?

Who is doing Jean-Michael Basquiat?
    Who is doing Andy Warhol?
    ------------------------------------
    Get My Drift? The more apllicable forms of art get utilized more often.
    How much Burn does Ernie Isley really get with The Brothers.
    Hendrix's guitar style is extraterrestrial making cats borrow bits and pieces,
    but never fully getting it.

HENDRIX!

A handful of guitar players in the history of the universe have changed the approach to the guitar of everyone who followed. Hendrix is one of those guitarist.

Every electric guitarist (unless he's some rockabilly revival throw back nerd) is deeply and profondly influenced by Hendrix.

Yes, Allman is immitated more on the radio, especially country stations. That does not make him more influential, only more immitated.

Even Allman was influenced by Hendrix. The Allman Joys stuff Duane has a straight BB King thing going, compare that to 1969s the Weight (Aretha Franklin). His whole approach to volume and distoration has changed.

Whos most immitated maybe Duane. (Only if you discount bedroom pickers.)

Whos most influencial Jimi (By a long long long long long long shot.)

Dan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    A couple of posters brought up race as issue in choosing influence.

That is completly bogus.

1) Guitarist are color blind when it comes to influences. When I said only a few guitarists have changed the history of guitar playing I was thinking of some of these: Django Reinhardt, Segovia, Charlie Christian, Les Paul, BB King, Hendrix. How are you going to put a race to that list.

2) Hendrix was a rock guitarist. Usually concidered a White idiom.

3) Allman was a blues guitarist. Usually concidered a Black idiom.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Every electric guitarist (unless he's some rockabilly revival throw back nerd) is deeply and profondly influenced by Hendrix.

ROCKABILLY NERD? I. DON'T. THINK. SO.[/b]

I love Hendrix and Allman, too, but Good Lord, do EVERYBODY gotta walk in their classic-rock shadows?[/b]

Besides, THIS rockabilly "nerd" was one of many (black AND white) who made rock guitar the monolith it is today!

Not tryin' to threadjack or start any shit, just wanna give the rockabilly cats some!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Link Ray had his style in place long before Hendrix arrived on the scene.

Link Ray along with Bo Diddley and plenty of others was already utilizing distortion and feed back before Jimi came along.

That being said, what I said before is true. Every electric guitarist post Jimi Hendrix has been influenced by Hendrix directly, or indirectly. The only acceptions would be some retrothrowbackrockabillyrevivalnerd.

That does not mean that Link Ray sucks. Nor does it mean that Hendrix is better that Allman.

All it means is that Hendrix completely changed the way everyone approaches the electric guitar.