FIRST TIME U HEARD YOURE SHIT ON THE RADIO

SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
there are a lot of really good musicmakers who frequent this site, so i'm sure many of you have had this moment... the 1st time you heard your music getting played without you knowing it was gonna be played (not really counting when your homie who deejays at the college station plays your bands cdr but if that's all you got then what the hey go with it) on the radio or on a mix tape or on an internet show or whatever... just hearing your shit unexpectedly like "ohhhhhh snap that's ME motherfuckers!" hahahaha add on

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I was riding in a car in austin complaining about how much a dipshit the "producer" was for our record and how it sounded like shit and while I was saying those things, the record came on..and I just said "here listen to this crap"

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i was driving back from lunch with my girl when i switched stations to our local independent radio station(think college radio station with a little more broadcast range) and there was a single i had produced a couple of years prior. it was kinda surreal. i was just stoked the mix translated so well!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    theres a show here in canada on national radio called "brave new waves" - its a lot of weird unlistenable shit mixed with some good new stuff. I got a call from my friend telling me they had opened the show with one of my tracks, i was just fast enough to hear the last 5 seconds. then Patti Schmidt said my name with her low breathy voice and i melted for a second. it was a nice moment. definitely made it worth all the bullshit

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I've had a few of my songs played on CBC Radio 2 in Canada. I also did a little interview/feature thing on there a while ago.

The weirdest time was when I was living up in Sudbury, Ontario for the summer as a work student. I worked for the local hydro company, driving around in a van with another student doing various work for the engineering department. Obviously we listened to a lot of music. Well this one day our CD player's bateries died, so we were listening to the radio. It's the local college radio and some booooring dude talking. In the background I hear a song playing... and I'm like "What the fuck!!! That's one of my songs!?!?!?" The song was on a real small run compilation... but I didn't think it had actually gotten out to stations and played much. Turns out it had. That was also how I ended up getting the CBC Radio 2 little feature - the girls choosing bands to interview off the New Music Canada site recognized my name from the compilation. She used to play it on a radio show she had.

I'm still waiting to hear something totally unexpected on commercial radio though. Not holding my breath either...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I walked into a record store in Switzerland with my girl, and they were playing my record. I knew I should play it cool, but couldnt, "THATS MEEEEEE!!!"

• FrequencyFrequency 115 Posts
    This happened to me the other day. Got out of work from my 9-5, jumped in the car, turned on Power 105.1 (commercial NYC radio) and this Raekwon track I produced was playing. Pretty cool. I don't even have a copy of the song. First time I've heard it actually.

this game is crazy!!

freq