Songs about the Attica Riots/George Jackson

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Archie SheppDescendants of Mike and PhoebeBob DylanJohn LennonADD ON..

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Steel Pulse.....

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    D**w,

The first song on the list should be, Elaine Brown - "Jonathan". From the perspective of George's younger brother holding the court hostage and being killed for it. It's a beautifully sad song.

(If you don't have the record)

Elaine Brown has other songs that make reference to prison, assassination, and Jackson/The Panthers on both her albums.

Also, Gil Scott-Heron, Last Poets, Watts Prophets all have passing poetic reference to Attica/George Jackson in their catalogs ("Blessed are Those Who Struggle," "Revolution," "Dem Niggas Ain't Playing," "What is A Man?" etc.), though no songs specifically about the subject from what I recall. I don't have time to check, but I remember Jayne Cortez and Amiri Baraka (nee Leroi Jones) mentioning one or the other as well?

The Angela Davis Soul and Soledad LP has nearly one side that deals specifically with George Jackson's case. Not music, but informative.

If further non-music audio is of interest: The Freedom Archives in San Francisco has several CDs of archival sound that deal with these topics. 30 Years Later: The Murder of George Jackson, which is worth it for the interview with Jackson's mother alone. Attica Rebellion is an interesting sound documentary specifically about the Attica Rebellion/Attica Brothers. Their Prisons On Fire CD combines all the topics. Not to mention their (Negroes with Guns author) Robert F Williams: Self Respect, Self Defense & Self Determination CD and Study Guide. (The Freedom Archives, you may remember, were the subject of our benefit 45. Everyone that is a part of that organization is very nice.)

Their website is a little challenging. Here are some direct links:
    http://www.freedomarchives.org/struggleinsideSept.html
    http://www.freedomarchives.org/struggleinsideAug.html

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Also, Gil Scott-Heron, Last Poets, Watts Prophets all have passing poetic reference to Attica/George Jackson in their catalogs

*AHEM*

as do Digable Planets...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

THANKS BAM! I thought you might come through here.

Any other recommendations on music more specific to the Attica riots in subject matter?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I just realized I posted this up with no information.

This LP is an interview with George Jacksons father and several "experts" on the situation. It was a small (private?) press album based in Pasadena, really very informative on this situation. Gave me some great perspective into what happened from a mature POV