How much to charge for a beat?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
A friend of mine is the father of a young man who's starting to get into production work and he was wondering how much a beginning beatmaker should charge for a track? I know this varies across the board but I have no clue what even a relative scale would look like.Any suggestions?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Depends on who is buying and what kind of a rep you have. If you are just starting out, you can't really charge much unless the beats are FIRE!!!!!! As usual, it's almost all about connections mayne. The kid needs a good lawyer who is connected that can hustle the beats for him. If someone with a major label deal and a big budget is buying the tracks, $7,000 to $10,000 each and I hope this kid understands EVERYTHING relating to points and publishing. If it is some underground shit, $500 - $1500 each.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You really need to get the gods Jake Weezey and Zvi to break it down....

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    2 million dollars.

It helps if you can somehow force both busta rhymes and nas into a bidding war for it too.

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    if a motherfucker will pay your busfare and buy you a nice kfc 3-piece meal for youre troubles you give that motherfucker that beat it's really that simple

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

who is that? looks like Harrison Ford...

• These days a no-credit to low-credit producer on a major label can get hit with a fee as low as $3000. I say aim for $5000 and be ready to take as low as $3500. Make sure hommie gets an attorney and keeps his standard 3 point royalty, doesn't get jerked for his pubs, etc. As for indie shit, if they give you more than $500, your name is probably Jake One or Alchemist or 9th Wonder or whatnot. Alot of these indy dudes don't even pay for beats, and forget about getting your royalties.

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    As for indie shit, if they give you more than $500, your name is probably Jake One or Alchemist or 9th Wonder or whatnot. Alot of these indy dudes don't even pay for beats, and forget about getting your royalties.

drbrownscelray is a truthsayer. indies cannot pay for beats very much because there is like NO money in it anymore. this is why i say accept bus tokens and a kfc snacker give them your protools session be happy and eat your chicken

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    and now for a little reality.

Most producers who start out will be doing beats for free until they are known. Even when you are getting established $0-500 is your margin. There are so many bedroom producers out there right now that if you charge too much, the cat next door will probably do it for free just to get that exposure.

granted, I don't know your boy's full circumstances, but my feedback would be to charge as little as possible for it, if not for free (but have a contract in place in case money IS MADE. then setup your payment contingent upon how much it gets picked up for).

basically, it's a busted ass market right now, and money aint going around as easy as it was, so just keep that in mind.

peas.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    As for indie shit, if they give you more than $500, your name is probably Jake One or Alchemist or 9th Wonder or whatnot. Alot of these indy dudes don't even pay for beats, and forget about getting your royalties.

drbrownscelray is a truthsayer. indies cannot pay for beats very much because there is like NO money in it anymore. this is why i say accept bus tokens and a kfc snacker give them your protools session be happy and eat your chicken

Pretty much what these dudes said. With the million producers on myspace willing to do free beats and the indie records making NO yaper, you'd be lucky any money for a slap at this point. As a producer you have to have some shit that rappers need and can't get get from their local producer/myspace/brother/uncle etc.. Major labels aren 't paying what they used to either. I have a hommie who got 1200 for a beat on Def Jam!! The fucking weed and food budget for his session was bigger than the producer fee. They know a lotta dudes are just happy to get on a record and they can pay what they want.

• In the words of the Flipper, "Most producers wanna charge too much/but around my way that's how you get fucked up."

Or at least get dissed, as in the case of the Team/Sho Nuff-- he produced "It's Gettin' Hot" for them, which blew up in the Bay, and then started asking for $3,000 a track. They quit working with him AND released some funny disses.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    A friend of mine is the father of a young man who's starting to get into production work and he was wondering how much a beginning beatmaker should charge for a track? I know this varies across the board but I have no clue what even a relative scale would look like.

Any suggestions?

hey oliver

i don't have much to add on that hasn't already been said, but this kids' situation sounds similar to my younger bro's. i suggest getting in with established local studios. my brother began selling to his High School buddies for 25$ a pop, he's since hooked up in-house gigs at a few baltimore/dc area studios and has contract work out the wazoo.. keep in mind this is at the indy level.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

who is that? looks like Harrison Ford...

dude from Quiz Show?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dunno, if you have a good manager mabye its different, but im told its still 10-12g's a track for some major label ish. I just did an indie record for like 200 bucks though. They just 2 tracked it, and gave me some cash, i was happy.

• I dunno, if you have a good manager mabye its different, but im told its still 10-12g's a track for some major label ish. I just did an indie record for like 200 bucks though. They just 2 tracked it, and gave me some cash, i was happy.

Maybe 5 years ago dudes would start at that much, but at this point, new producers get anywhere from $3000 to like $7500 depending on the circumstances. As Wizzles said, shit can be even lower too if they know that the producer is really trying to get on and/or the artist is someone very desireable to work with.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I don't know anything about selling beats and the market over here is different for sure but whatever happened to paying dues???

When I hear about "a young man who's starting to get into production work", my advice is not getting a good lawyer. He should make some great tracks first and spread them. Has he ever thought about teaming up with a MC and forming a group, putting on a show and pressing up some records? I know this is not how rap is made these days but it used to work quiet well.

I believe all of you guys saying that it's getting harder to get money for a beat and that even majors are paying less. I know local (=German) producers who have beats on US indie records and are not even credited on the record (not speaking about getting any money, publishing or points). That's not cool and can't be excused by the fact that most labels are making less money these days too.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    A friend of mine is the father of a young man who's starting to get into production work and he was wondering how much a beginning beatmaker should charge for a track? I know this varies across the board but I have no clue what even a relative scale would look like.

Any suggestions?
    I've gotten down to my last pair of shoes
    Can't even win a nickel bet
    Because, ah them that's got are them that gets
    And I ain't got nothin yet

I'm sneakin in and out duckin' my landlord
    All I seem to do is stay in debt
    Because, ah them that's got (yeah) are them that gets
    And I tell you all I ain't got nothin' yet

That old sayin them that's got are them that gets
    Is somethin I can't see
    If ya gotta have somethin
    Before you can get somethin
    How do ya get your first is still a mystery to me

I see folk with long cars and fine clothes
    That's why they're called the smarter set
    Because they manage to get
    When only them that's got supposed to get

(bridge)

That old sayin them that's got are them that gets
    Is somethin I can't see
    If ya gotta have somethin
    Before you can get somethin
    How do ya get your first is still a mystery to me

I see folk with long cars and fine clothes
    That's why they're called the smarter set
    Because they manage to get
    When only them that's got supposed to get

Whoah, I tell you all
    I ain't found nothing yet.

(spoken)
    You know I just don't understand it
    I can't seem to get a nickle or a dime for a cup of coffee
    I need a hamburg- in fact a hot dog wouldn't be too bad
    I would just be grateful if I could get my hands on most anything
    (fade)

Them That Got[/b] lyrics by Ray Charles

ODub, that promise you made about BBE releases, "if they ever pay you, holler back at us. In the meantime, I'm going to stop writing about any of their releases, regardless if it's a comp or not." -- plaese let me release you from that, man. Pete is ok. he's got Dilla coming up. let us know how you feel about it.

thanks,
    m