Spots in Budapest?

LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
First off, Yall might notice this is my 1st post. Over the years I've ran into a few diggers at flea markets and whatnot who ask "are you on Soul Strut?", I never had a strong reason til now. Much respect to everybody viewing this. I'm a North Carolina boy whose made the rounds in America, moved to London for the time being and I'm getting my feet wet on the Intra- European digging circuit. Me and my lady are headed to Budapest for a little getaway, and I've got a list of Hungarian Funk, Jazz, Psych to track down. The thing is, I don't know exactly where to start. I'm looking for recommendations on Used record stores, book stores, whatever, wherever the sounds are. If you have any titles to offer I'd love to hear that too. Thanks in advance. peace.

Comments

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Newport Records, Terez Korut 47.
    quite small in a courtyard off the main street, largely (but not all) jazz - I picked up some good Polish and Czech pieces here at decent prices. Owner is called Ferenc, only open in afternoons from 2 till 7.

Pillecolor, Terez Korut 21.
    This is in the basement of a small indoor shopping centre - will take a while, there's a lot of stock in there, organised by country as well as genre. Lots of prog from Eastern Europe. Lovely bloke (Imre) running it and quite often seem to be a
    load of mates in there hanging out and listening to records. He's got a LOT of Hungarian 45s behind the counter which I didn't really have time to get into.

Don't know the name, also at Terez Korut 21
    On the ground floor of the same indoor shopping centre, there's another second hand shop which had some nice bits. Erratic opening times.

There's also another shop two doors up Terez Korut, at either 19 or 23. Wasn't all that, though.

Dob Records, Szent Istvan Korut 23
    Looks brilliant but I've never found it open! Let me know what it's like if you manage!

All the above are very close to each other right in the centre of town near Nyugati Station.

There are a couple of secondhand book stalls under Nyugati Station that also sell records - and also one at Keleti Station.

Concerto Records, Dob Utca (not sure of the number, it's on the right if you're walking from Karoly Korut)
    almost all classical, but might be worth a look.

Lemek Dokk, Horansky Utca 27
    near the Hungarian National Museum
    excellent, mostly jazz and prog stuff. Very friendly bloke too. Erratic opening hours again.
    There's another shop very near called something like the 'CD Library' which has an unimpressive rack of vinyl at the back.

Laci basci's record store
    Andrassy ut 46

Afrofilia Records
    1055 M??zeum k??r??t 7

The flea market on Sunday Morning in the park at Heroes' Square (Varosliget) is definitely worth a try, though it'll be bitterly cold. Look on a map and head for Petofi Csarnok in the park.

There are some other random out of town flea markets that i checked as well and found some nice things, although they were WELL hidden... like hidden behind desks in antique furniture stores well hidden....
    When you're on the main shopping streets check out the little courtyards that appear off to the sides, these hide loads of little stores with books and records and all kinds of things...

• I went to these 3 spots about 1,5 years ago and only found something worth mentioning in Pillecolor. Much like ebay prices but dude is a cool. The other two shops were kinda random if you ask me... However I didnt have much time as I was there with work.

Good luck and have a nice time.

Dress

Newport Records, Terez Korut 47.
    quite small in a courtyard off the main street, largely (but not all) jazz - I picked up some good Polish and Czech pieces here at decent prices. Owner is called Ferenc, only open in afternoons from 2 till 7.

Pillecolor, Terez Korut 21.
    This is in the basement of a small indoor shopping centre - will take a while, there's a lot of stock in there, organised by country as well as genre. Lots of prog from Eastern Europe. Lovely bloke (Imre) running it and quite often seem to be a
    load of mates in there hanging out and listening to records. He's got a LOT of Hungarian 45s behind the counter which I didn't really have time to get into.

Don't know the name, also at Terez Korut 21
    On the ground floor of the same indoor shopping centre, there's another second hand shop which had some nice bits. Erratic opening times.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Big up to El Sparko and Dress. Very thorough information, much appreciated. I'll report back when all's said and done. I'll let you know about Dob Records if I manage to get in. Sounds like they've got discos in abundance. Just what I like to hear. Thanks Fellas.