DISCUSS.....

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

going to see them live tomorrow...

probably one of the most perfectly formed straight out the gate debuts of all time... master fucking peace!

• pknypkny 549 Posts

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I am a huge fan of the first S and the Bs LP (scream). One of Steve Lillywhite's best productions IMO. I never really like any other S and the Bs Lps. However, I just picked up that Kaleidoscope LP the other day and was pretty blown away. Has members from the Slits, the Sex Pistols and Magazine on there. Pretty fucking badass. Great retarded 80s cover too.

Entertainment is unfuckwidable. Seems to be the VU and Nico of this generation.

I listened to Winter in America in the days after the 2004 election drunk as fuck in my apartment thinking about moving to Canada. That and What's Going On? probably kept me from [censored--hi Alberto].

Have to admit, I don't know that last two. Somebody?

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    I am a huge fan of the first S and the Bs LP (scream). One of Steve Lillywhite's best productions IMO. I never really like any other S and the Bs Lps. However, I just picked up that Kaleidoscope LP the other day and was pretty blown away. Has members from the Slits, the Sex Pistols and Magazine on there. Pretty fucking badass. Great retarded 80s cover too.

Entertainment is unfuckwidable. Seems to be the VU and Nico of this generation.

I listened to Winter in America in the days after the 2004 election drunk as fuck in my apartment thinking about moving to Canada. That and What's Going On? probably kept me from [censored--hi Alberto].

Have to admit, I don't know that last two. Somebody?

Last two:

4. Great dancefloor salsa, smooth sexy salsa, and even a break or two thrown in for good measure. Picked it up in PR for $3.

5. Totally solid funk LP with a '73-'74 sound. Really tight rhythm section, funky keys, a banger the whole way thru.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

"would you be so kind as to pass the sugar?"

funky, loungy goodness from the panamanian salsero. yeah, it's got braeks all over it, but it's really slick start to finish.

Winter in America? So serious: Rivers of my Fathers, the Bottle, H2Ogate. Nothing lovlier than Peace go with you brother. Play morning, noon or night.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

"would you be so kind as to pass the sugar?"

funky, loungy goodness from the panamanian salsero. yeah, it's got braeks all over it, but it's really slick start to finish.

Winter in America? So serious: Rivers of my Fathers, the Bottle, H2Ogate. Nothing lovlier than Peace go with you brother. Play morning, noon or night.

definitely slick.

still looking for my cheap copy.

azuquita has other good ones too.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Oh shit...shhhhhhhhh, that's my secret-not-many-folks-in-hip-hop-know-how-extremely-dope-Lunar-Camel-and-Red-Light-are joint. Too late now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Love it. Good to get ready to before a night on the town or before the gang (of any number) shows up at your place.

Love it. Saw them three times and she was cold as ice (yes, I know, part of the appeal) but she's a fantastic performer.

Some dude who was courting me gave me this record. We didn't hook up.

• speshboogiespeshboogie 105 Posts

One of my all time favs.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    azuquita- "salsa na ma"!! holy shit sandwich. great salsa cut. "California" has to be the best summertime zone-out latin cut ever. there is another tune on here as well, forgot the name. damn good though. this album should cost you $30. i got myz from gemm.com- bet tsl has it in stock.

magnum- end to end killers. written by a 15 yr old boy wonder. and these lads are killing jazz fusion arrangements like they are going out of style (not as easy to do as biting james brown). albums like this fuck me up. look out for the 45 from this lp, "evolution" b/w "your mind" the version of evolution is a edited (and much better) 45 mix. are there any other 45's from this lp??

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Okay I don't have much to say here, except for the fact that I listened to the clips at TTL and liked it a lot. It's supposedly out of San Pedro right? I remember getting all excited for no reason, cuz I had a job interview there, and was like "yo....since we're in the locality, there maybe, maybe a copy floatin' around". Definitely seems to live up to its hefty price tag.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Use and abuse 'em...

Use and abuse 'em...

no!
    how embarassing!
    i'm not like that...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    hey, i never said you could HAVE that, i said you could BORROW it.

LOL

this does not mean we're going out

see fellas,

in case you forgot, your record nerdiness doesn't help you get girls.
    hold onto your records, girls don't want them anyhow. you don't court girls with original vinyl, you make em mixtapes (cd's) with original art. see this is a win win situation. you get to keep your originals, and you get to have sex.

note to self: never mention anything about boys ever again.

i am totally regretting writing that now. yikes.

no keep giving the game away. i love it. playing soulstrutters for records. girls could be coming up so hard if they only cared about vinyl.....

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    magnum- are there any other 45's from this lp??

Tom / Andy (or fuck it, TANDY):

"Funky Junky/ Composition Seven (Prelude)" (The Phoenix 314) 1974
    "Your Mind/ Evolution" (The Phoenix 315) 1975

tandy!!!

oh shit, i just fell out.

this is tom by the way. andy is one of the people who is too cool for soulstrut, but kicks it live on fryer's page.

oh snaps, that's right! i knew about the funky junky 45, but i didn't know it had composition seven on it. i remember that being a fairly nice space funk thing. i guess my dream 45 for that record would be the "witchdoctor(namecheck?)" coupled with "natural juices"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    not-many-folks-in-hip-hop-know-how-extremely-dope-Lunar-Camel

I always thought Tha Liks "Best U Can" sounded like Pharrell was listening to "Lunar Camel" that day.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Use and abuse 'em...

no!
    how embarassing!
    i'm not like that...

Its cool though... I'm like that, or was like that... I can remember many times when crates and sex were to be had at the same place... reminds me of an old needlewreck thread, "Digging is Chinese girls butts for records."

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Use and abuse 'em...

no!
    how embarassing!
    i'm not like that...

Its cool though... I'm like that, or was like that... I can remember many times when crates and sex were to be had at the same place... reminds me of an old needlewreck thread, "Digging is Chinese girls butts for records."

This is a desert island LP for me. I have a hard time not buying copies when I see 'em, I love this LP so much. That is all.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    please buy me a copy

see fellas,

in case you forgot, your record nerdiness doesn't help you get girls.
    hold onto your records, girls don't want them anyhow. you don't court girls with original vinyl, you make em mixtapes (cd's) with original art. see this is a win win situation. you get to keep your originals, and you get to have sex.

no keep giving the game away. i love it. playing soulstrutters for records. girls could be coming up so hard if they only cared about vinyl.....

i'm going to assume you don't really think this way and that you are joking.
    pretty funny.