Zerfas

Rod_TorfulsonRod_Torfulson 464 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
This is one of the best things I've ever heard. Not perfect the whole way, but when it hits its almost unparalleled. Any of you lucky midwestern dudes happen upon this fucker?

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Breakself caught one for a couple bucks last year

• Any idea how many were pressed?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Easily my best flea market find of 2005, and one of my favorite albums EVAR (and was so long before I found it). There's a really insightful review of the album here,

http://lysergia.com/LamaReviews/reviews4.htm

that's worth reading even if you haven't heard the album.

Initial pressing was 500. Such a great record.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    honestly i dont rmeember this record being "all that" but perphaps im wrong...

legendary indiana dealer Howard of Howard's hard to find knew the percussionist on this and was involved in a CD reissue i do recall.

• honestly i dont rmeember this record being "all that" but perphaps im wrong...

legendary indiana dealer Howard of Howard's hard to find knew the percussionist on this and was involved in a CD reissue i do recall.

Indeed, Howard made a reissue LP in the early 90s. According to Howard, half the pressings of this reissue were bad and had couldn't be sold, leaving only 300-400 left. This reissue alone can sell for $150 if it has all the supplemental materials originally included (photo, insert, etc)

Truly a rare record that hardly ever turns up. It's also one of those rare grails that lives up to the hype.

I need one for my own collection.

Yeah, it didn't grab me immediately either. Definitely a grower, though, and more than incredible simply for the fact that it was made in 1973!

• Easily my best flea market find of 2005, and one of my favorite albums EVAR (and was so long before I found it). There's a really insightful review of the album here,

Thanks. I have a CD reissue, I figured it was around that many vinyl copies. I found out about it from that site and got it through a dealer friend of mine a couple weeks ago. I don't know if its the best thing I've ever heard, but it definitely has something special about it and I've been listening to it almost every day.

Indeed, Howard made a reissue LP in the early 90s. According to Howard, half the pressings of this reissue were bad and had couldn't be sold, leaving only 300-400 left. This reissue alone can sell for $150 if it has all the supplemental materials originally included (photo, insert, etc)

Truly a rare record that hardly ever turns up. It's also one of those rare grails that lives up to the hype.

You can have my copy of Style and Zerfas for a little bl*ck m*gic.

Easily my best flea market find of 2005, and one of my favorite albums EVAR (and was so long before I found it). There's a really insightful review of the album here,

Thanks. I have a CD reissue, I figured it was around that many vinyl copies. I found out about it from that site and got it through a dealer friend of mine a couple weeks ago. I don't know if its the best thing I've ever heard, but it definitely has something special about it and I've been listening to it almost every day.

Don't get me wrong, there are psych albums out ther that I like better, but, as you said, Zerfas has something special about it.

• honestly i dont rmeember this record being "all that" but perphaps im wrong...

Oh yeah, you probably know this, but the guy I got the Zerfas cd from mentioned Mutha Goose, and he had an old zine that said Stiv Bators from the Dead Boys was in that band, and they were from Cleveland. Dude said that even he hadn't heard that record though, and that he really wanted to.
    Just reminded me.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    yeah, this album pretty much rules in every way possible. i think its the vocalist that does it.

i only got mp3s of this, and chances of finding an og are slim to none.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    im pretty sure there were plans for a cd reissue as well.. i dont know if it ever materialised or not... howard and my boss at the time were financing it

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    The review at lysergia makes this thing sound like a holy grail.

Any chance of someone posting mp3s?

[graemlin] beggin' on knees in the rain [/graemlin]

• This is one of the best things I've ever heard. Not perfect the whole way, but when it hits its almost unparalleled.

Any of you lucky midwestern dudes happen upon this fucker?

Speak of the Devil
    It It's On Ebay

• TownyTowny 6 Posts
    4 words -

"I need it higher"

Awesome Rey - Thanks!
    Unfortunately I'm at work right now so hopefully this will still be available when I get on home...

Awesome Rey - Thanks!
    Unfortunately I'm at work right now so hopefully this will still be available when I get on home...

Listening to it now...
    Thanks again!!

• Just in case you weren't aware, Radioactive has reissued this record on vinyl (1000 numbered copies). I picked one up recently. I've got to admit that given all the hype i'm a little disappointed. It has some very nice touches but has more of a prog feel than i would like. Still, maybe its a grower and in a year or so i'll probably love it. 'Stoney Wellitz' definitely sucks though.