Rules for Going to an Art Museum

2»

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    -Don't talk in a disparaging way about the artists unless you're sure they're not next to you.

Went to see an exhibition of Peter Blake's new work a couple of years ago and, I think fairly, pointed out to my girl that he was rehashing old ideas without bringing anything new or interesting to them before turning round and seeing him standing next to me.

That is awesome. I think artists should be required to hang out incognito at their shows! If he had any sense of humor at all he would have thought that was pretty funny. Hell, maybe you're right and no one else had the nerve to tell him so, probably did him a favor.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    MOMA SUCKS. it has ever since they stopped making those little homemade donuts with cinamon on them.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i havent been to the moma in years... last time was for the Bruce Nauman retrospective... came out of there only to have David Bowie walk right into me...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    i havent been to the moma in years... last time was for the Bruce Nauman retrospective... came out of there only to have David Bowie walk right into me...

The Bruce Nauman retrospective my my last time too. Damn, that was like 10+ years ago.

• i havent been to the moma in years... last time was for the Bruce Nauman retrospective... came out of there only to have David Bowie walk right into me...

The Bruce Nauman retrospective my my last time too. Damn, that was like 10+ years ago.

Run From Fear, y'all.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    -Don't talk in a disparaging way about the artists unless you're sure they're not next to you.

Went to see an exhibition of Peter Blake's new work a couple of years ago and, I think fairly, pointed out to my girl that he was rehashing old ideas without bringing anything new or interesting to them before turning round and seeing him standing next to me.

That is awesome. I think artists should be required to hang out incognito at their shows! If he had any sense of humor at all he would have thought that was pretty funny. Hell, maybe you're right and no one else had the nerve to tell him so, probably did him a favor.

Any artist that attended school (under/grad) has been critiqued over a million times anyway and is used to hearing people's opinions. It's like water off a ducks back. In fact, the main reason they make the art to put there is to ilicit some response.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    [As a certain russian might say, a philistine burps and then says excuse me.

I think I might be a philistine.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    -touching the artwork.

not proud of it, but i got caught up in it.

i touched this - covered in iron filings and it's all magnetic and soft

and i swept my bare toes over this, very very lightly...

both felt sooo satisfying. my apologies to Mona Hatoum.

• dhrupickdhrupick 21 Posts

"He said he liked rap, so I said, 'Well, you know what rock 'n' roll is,' and he did, so I said, 'Can you imagine if somebody had messed up the beat in rock and roll so you didn't have any rhythm in rap.' And he looked at me, and he got it immediately."