SXSW Recap

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Shit was crazy.Still in Texas. Shout to Aleit and Pointman and Flatblackplactic.Shout to Kalifah Sanah.Much more coming soon including video of me and Ayres whooping some dudes asses.

Comments

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Much more coming soon including video of me and Ayres whooping some dudes asses.

Yes!

(wait a second, is this foreal foreal?)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Very much so my man.

• PS: From my post in this thread:

SHOUTS OUT to Nikolai Catchdubs, Ass-Kickin' Ayres & K-O-Cosmo, Saucy Stef, Slurrin' Serg, SuperFantastic Flatblackplastic, and the NeverBanal HarveyCanal, who, despite what some on this board may think, is one of the most chill, mild-mannered and polite dudes you'll ever meet.

And he speaks so well!

BTW, Archaic: The day after we caught the Devin show, I copped the "Right Now/Motha" 12-inch at Waterloo (my lone "weekend find").

• hi cosmo.
    you in austin still? man i miss that one bartender at 115

so nice to meet all you;cosmo,ayres,nick,stef, serge, amd ross.

we need to get yall down here in houston one time soon.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Kalifah Sanah.
    he had a video recap of his own:
    http://video.on.nytimes.com/ifr_main.jsp...2211.3990654226

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

for really real?

What would that require? PM me.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Very much so my man.

Must see video!!!

• we need to get yall down here in houston one time soon.

for really real?

For about half an hour Saturday afternoon, it looked like I might be stuck in Houston overnight and I was gonna holler at you on some "pick me up at IAH. I got my laptop--what's good?"

Too bad you don't owe me any favors.

for really real?

For about half an hour Saturday afternoon, it looked like I might be stuck in Houston overnight and I was gonna holler at you on some "pick me up at IAH. I got my laptop--what's good?"

Too bad you don't owe me any favors.

For real, you should have hollered. On Saturday, I gigged from 4pm to 2am at two seperate spots (Much appreciated Funkyexample). I could have used the help!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Fuck, I just typed up a big long recap of my SXSW week and when I went to submit it I got that lame-ass "form no longer valid" message.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Fuck, I just typed up a big long recap of my SXSW week and when I went to submit it I got that lame-ass "form no longer valid" message.

Why aren't you cheerleading over in my Coughee Brothaz thread?

I ain't heard it yet, although I did see them perform the other night...where Ross made the faux pas of the following exchange:

Ross: Damn, look how high that guy with the glasses looks.

Rob: Dude, he's blind. That's Rob Quest.

Ross: Oops!!!

Rob: Granted, he probably is really high too.

I ain't heard it yet, although I did see them perform the other night...where Ross made the faux pas of the following exchange:

So you're a "Rob"?

You want to what with my nob?

• Fuck, I just typed up a big long recap of my SXSW week and when I went to submit it I got that lame-ass "form no longer valid" message.

So THAT'S why they all had glaucoma prescriptions.

But seriously: A prominent Blowedian was at the Devin show. I can not lie.

Second try...

The Prose:

Meeting Eddie Bo.

Allen Toussaint at Auditorium Shores.

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings at Antone's.

Anthony Hamilton at La Zona Rosa.

Chamillionaire and Devin at the Back Room.

Meeting Serg and Stef at the Back Room.

Ross Hogg at Club One 15.

Meeting Cosmo and Ayres at Club One 15.

My sister-in-law taking care of my daughter Thursday night so my wife and I could truly go ignant.

Slapping five with some random dude at Club One 15 just because I liked the way he was freakishly dancing, only to realize the next day that it was dude from Spank Rock.

Meeting Gift of Gab and Chief Xcel.

Meeting Cut Chemist.

My nephew's 6th birthday party at a Pump-It-Up facility on Saturday morning was fun as could be.

Having Balance tell me how much he liked the review I wrote of his Back Room showcase.

Running into Tray Loc of CVE during Rapid Ric's set at the Back Room.

Watching our lil NGOK homies get so excited about meeting Jean Grae.

Catching the Hot 8 Brass Band out on 6th Street.

Hanging with Austin artists Bavu Blakes, Young Nick, Element, Rapid Ric, Tee Double, Mirage, Kaizen, and Arson Optics at various points during the week.

Getting to hang out with and just knowing a hard-working Texas rap advocate such as Matt Sonzala.

Having Margaret Moser tell me that she thinks I'm the one to interview Cyril Neville for the Chronicle as he is now ready to really speak on the NOLA situation.

NGOK performing "My People" among their extended set at Backspin Records Sunday afternoon!!! Big up to Tray Loc for rolling through.

The Horns made the Sweet 16.

The Cons:

Not having but a touch of weed for the week while my usual hook-up was out of town for Spring Break.

Coming away from Balance's set with a low-level migraine headache, knowing that I'd still have to hurry home, write a review by midnight, and then return to the Back Room to review Chamillionaire's set.

Missing Madvaillain because I didn't feel like messing with more than a few day parties.

Having to withstand the abomination known as Lady Sovereign. Hey NYC hipster media machine, y'all are falling off more and more each year in that Dizzee>>>>>>MIA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lady Sov.

The dude who purposefully attempted to block my path to the front of the stage for Sharon Jones at Antone's and had to be shoved the fuck out of my way.

There was a certain carpetbaggeur who I was headhunting but I didn't see him anywhere.

Meeting Julia Beverly of Ozone Magazine was definitely a let-down...albeit an expected one.

Not getting an extra day to rest before starting up work again this morning.

My Chronicle reviews can be accessed here:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/authors/robertgabriel.html

A few more come out in this Thursday's edition.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Getting to hang out with and just knowing a hard-working Texas rap advocate such as Matt Sonzala.

Matt is DUDE. SXSW is indebted to that man

Having to withstand the abomination known as Lady Sovereign. Hey NYC Portland[/b] hipster media machine, y'all are falling off more and more each year in that Dizzee>>>>>>MIA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lady Sov.

offense taken, as i know no one on this island who is cosigning this chick. she most likely pulls a bigger crowd in austin (sorry, you know its true). and pitchfork is based out of portland...

anyone go to flatstock???? how was it?

offense taken, as i know no one on this island who is cosigning this chick. she most likely pulls a bigger crowd in austin (sorry, you know its true). and pitchfork is based out of portland...

Umm...

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2005/11/jay_z_signs_uk_grime_queen_lady_sovereign/

Cutting Meat Chemist

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

video of me and Ayres whooping some dudes asses.

We're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiting.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Yeah the hommie Vin told me to take a look right char. Fuckin hilarious, can't wait for the footage.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Not to mention this dude calls me up right after on some "oh yeah, I forgot to tell Day 'Happy Birthday'"....BRRRRRING! shit.

"Hey man, how was your birthday?"

"it was cool we had Japanese, went to da crub, they wouldn't let my man in cause of his shoes."

"word, that sounds dope... I JUST PUT SOME DUDE'S HEAD OUT WHO WAS FUCKING WITH AYERS. KNOCKED HIM OUT RIGHT ON THE CORNER JUST A SECOND AGO!"

Best birthday call ever.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I almost shed a tear that night in Austin.

The way Ayers beat the piss out of that jackass and then with Cosmo running full stride to jump in... Well, of course I swore them in as honorary Texans right there on the spot in front of the club. I then issued them concealed handgun licenses and Lonestar Beer in celebration.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

My Chronicle reviews can be accessed here:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/authors/robertgabriel.html

A few more come out in this Thursday's edition.

"I'm just playing music I like, I hope that's cool" is apparently all you need to say to an Emo's Annex audience to obscure a tendency for train-wreck segues. At least Rj got the chance to work Kraftwerk, the Gap Band, EPMD, and Freeway into his set, but overall any given Chuck E. Cheese's jukebox could have replaced his wheels of steel with just as worthy a playlist

This had me falling out.
    That's some funny shit - and with heavy salt too!

Wow...y'all really did get in a fight. That's unfortunate and funny at the same time. Glad no cops got involved. Glad y'all didn't get hurt. Glad y'all won. Y'all aren't the most imposing dudes...so good job.

• Y'all aren't the most imposing dudes...so good job.

I guess you didn't see Ayres' beard up close.

Lots of strutters up in these photos:

http://houstonsoreal.blogspot.com/

Can anyone who doesn't already know me spot Archaic?

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

• Try again: