Options

Thursday's Finds

edited May 2005 in Strut Central
My list should be out in a day or 2. I think I'm going to host it in the Sales section again.K.

Comments

• Options
    ..almost forgot this (reggae/Tubby/BOOM! related)

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    bastard

• Options
    Always that legitimate son

K>

• emperor's-karate 45
    hot chocolate-cicero park

not much, both for a buck. Whats with this daily finds instead of weekly?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Only thing I have on that Island label is "Guns of Navaronne." I need to get my game up.

My !new! Derek Lawrence Statement 45 plays very nicely, by the way.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Acquired from eBay:

Wally Richardson - Soul Guru (Prestige)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    D
    I
    E

thanks!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    woah, that top one looks !

some serious and thought-provoking shit going on in the other threads. i love records though.

year: 2005
    funds: low
    where: hit-or-miss record store (back for seconds)

Chakachas- Jungle Fever ('72 Latin/Funk release on Polydor. First listen proves this is some "umf, aiitex2 this is some good shit" music. First track on the flip "Harlem Nocturne" is FIRE. fuck it the whole album is dope.)

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    caetano veloso - transa LP this is so good I am like dying
    gal costa s/t and india LP
    this is boston not LA compilation record
    dj technics this 12"from the other day where it has this song that goes MY NAME MY NAME IS ON THE LIST WHAT LIST THE DJS LIST MISS THING THERE IS NO GUEST LIST TONIGHT and hasthis real weird wood block type thing on it sounds so cool also has the cool DMX bmore club song on it (not lik eits the only dmx bmore song) andhas technics in a boxing ring on the cover.
    that imani copolla cowboy song 12" this is the loudest 12" I own it's kind of absurd

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dollarbinjazz![/b]

I brought 3 bags of (pretty crappy) records I got for free last weekend in to my favorite spot for trade for credit (anything!), but the owner wasn't there, for what must have been only like the 4th time in all the years I have been going there...anyway this left me with only the $10 I had in my pocket, so I hit the dollarbin stacks:

For a while now I have always looked closely at the cheapo Lionel Hampton LP's I see, trying to find represses of the funky stuff...this tactic finally paid off, as this 1978 CBS budget label piece has 1973 recordings of "Psychedelic Sally," "Raunchy Rita" and others...big band funk heat! all for 20 nickels...

also got:

Jan Davis - Hot Sauce Guitar - Ranwood

Pig Iron - S/T - Columbia [/b] (not as good as it looked, but it has a rock cover of Jimmy Hughes' "Neighbor Neighbor" so I had to cop)

Joe Beck - Beck - CTI

Brass Fever - S/T - ABC [/b](another nice $1 grab, 1975 big band funk with some heavy names, covers of "Lady Marmalade," "Sunshine Superman," & best of all "Djingi" - Odell Brown is on one track on side 2 but I haven't checked it out yet)

45: The Showmen - Country Fool - Minit [/b]

and one more dollar binner:

I've never got any of the later Rascals records, but two that they had, this one ("See") from 1969, and another from 1972, have some serious session heads...both have Chuck Rainey on bass, and it shows...this record is pretty damn good! I'm going to cop the '72 one next time, for another buck.

I brought 3 bags of (pretty crappy) records I got for free last weekend in to my favorite spot for trade for credit (anything!), but the owner wasn't there, for what must have been only like the 4th time in all the years I have been going there...anyway this left me with only the $10 I had in my pocket, so I hit the dollarbin stacks:

Same thing happened to me today. Couldn't sell one record. I carried a bag on my shoulders for a very long time to come out with no trade money. HAHA what's funny is when they tell you we can't use any of this like if you didn't know. PEACE...

Yeah, this is a store I'm really cool with the people there, so I just left the stuff and dude will hook me up next time I'm through...actually I felt bad, because I was bringing such shitty records and I know dude will give me something cause I'm a good customer and we cool, like I was taking advantage...but if I didn't bring them in and told him I threw out a bunch of records he wouldn't want, he'd be all, "why didn't you let me see them?"

Jeez! How could I forget!?!?

Mad props to Strutter An**ew, for recognizing a desperate collector of Jackie Lee 45's (when I hopped on I>le cousteau[/i] after seeing him floss this in a weekly digs post), and letting me share in his good luck at copping stock copies of this, which came in the mail today:

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/ed/e3/39_1_b.JPG" alt="" />

It's the b o m b, and the whole deal proves once again why Soul Strut Rocks [/b] (??2005 Anthony Pearson, LLP) - maybe even better, though, was hommie's mix CD of Memphis gospel 45's that he threw in...76 minutes of serious spiritual burners! All Strut Headz who knowz the dealz should be PM'ing dude for some mix CD swap action, you won't regret it...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    when I hopped on I>le cousteau[/i]

Thanks for helping me spread my new slanguage!!

Herm

when I hopped on I>le cousteau[/i]

Thanks for helping me spread my new slanguage!!

Herm

I couldn't help it...in a testament to Soul Strut Lingo Power, it just popped into my head naturally, as if it were always part of my language...

• Options
    woah, that top one looks !

some serious and thought-provoking shit going on in the other threads. i love records though.

year: 2005
    funds: low
    where: hit-or-miss record store (back for seconds)

Chakachas- Jungle Fever ('72 Latin/Funk release on Polydor. First listen proves this is some "umf, aiitex2 this is some good shit" music. First track on the flip "Harlem Nocturne" is FIRE. fuck it the whole album is dope.)

Details

K in Canada.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Same thing happened to me today. Couldn't sell one record. I carried a bag on my shoulders for a very long time to come out with no trade money. HAHA what's funny is when they tell you we can't use any of this like if you didn't know. PEACE...

dudes, throw this shit away. You will be doing YOURSELF a favor.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I just found one thing yesterday. Kinda cheesy and silly but the Meter's Cabbage alley lp. go ahead and make fun, but I've (almost)completed the meters. Its silly, but I only payed $25. I'm going to bed. Somebody make fun of me.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Details

K in Canada.

LOVELY. are the other tracks just as good??

• Options
    Yeah, about 4 others are just as worthy.

K.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Yeah, about 4 others are just as worthy.

K.

it's a great comp. i love every track.

vol. 2 is cool too, more traditional but with a moussa doumbia tune that'll blow your ears off.

both are common LPs, but like old friends

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Brass Fever - S/T - ABC [/b](another nice $1 grab, 1975 big band funk with some heavy names, covers of "Lady Marmalade," "Sunshine Superman," & best of all "Djingi" - Odell Brown is on one track on side 2 but I haven't checked it out yet)[/b]

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    maybe even better, though, was hommie's mix CD of Memphis gospel 45's that he threw in...76 minutes of serious spiritual burners! All Strut Headz who knowz the dealz should be PM'ing dude for some mix CD swap action, you won't regret it...

Who do I contact for this?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Nice find on Eddie Hazel, TheMack--that's a great record.

• dang mack, you found those around here? vaughn mason and eddie hazel....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Nice find on Eddie Hazel, TheMack--that's a great record.

"California Dreamin" never sounded so good.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    yeah. Rascals' freedom suite and once upon a "wahtever" are also good. peep the song "of course" that's my shit.

dang mack, you found those around here? vaughn mason and eddie hazel....
    actually eddie hazel was ebay. but i got it really cheap(sealed. $25) the rest came from a local thrift shop. if you need that Vaughan Mason ive got an extra. dont think its mint though

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

dang mack, you found those around here? vaughn mason and eddie hazel....
    actually eddie hazel was ebay. but i got it really cheap(sealed. $25) the rest came from a local thrift shop. if you need that Vaughan Mason ive got an extra. dont think its mint though

No kidding? Was it mis-listed or hidden in with a lot?

Buy it now baby!