james brown at the boston garden concert.

edubedub 715 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
seems like I just missed a local performance of this concert docmentary. aparently it was originally broadcast on boston public television less than 24 hrs after MLK was assassinated in 68.thinking of copping this on DVD, as I couldn't netflix it... anyone seen this?

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    seems like I just missed a local performance of this concert docmentary. aparently it was originally broadcast on boston public television less than 24 hrs after MLK was assassinated in 68.

thinking of copping this on DVD, as I couldn't netflix it... anyone seen this?

i've seen it... wgbh in boston shows it every few years, prolly what you're talking about, w/ interviews with all the policians and community people who made it happen, including the Mayor at the time, Kevin White.... very much more a social documentary than a music one... there are clips of the concert, but i don't recall them showing anything that long... it's more about how the concert was set up and why it was set up, and the various politic siuations at the time, both locally and nationwide... def. interesting if you're familiar w/ boston politcs, interesting in public policy or US history, but not that music in it (tho i haven't seen it since high school, so my memroy could be faulty...) and the point of the concert (encourage the black community to stay in and watch the james brown concert live for free on channel 2, rather go out in the streets worked... boston was the one of the only large cities (if not the largest?) not to have any riots in the wake of the MLK assasination... to me, that really speaks of the importance James Brown had in the black community in 1968... it's unparalled...

• I really dig marva's performance on this. i got a vhs of this a couple years ago at pasadena. definitely a great insight into this time period.