Funkiness from Odessa, Texas?

phono13phono13 842 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I stopped by a Goodwill at lunch today, and pulled an interesting looking record. I believe the title was "To My Friends" by Adam and the Ghetto. It had a stock, sunset over water cover, and the label said Spiral Records out of Odessa, Texas. Anyone know the deal?

It definately looks funky. Adam Rodriguez was the leader I believe.

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Spot blown! Ha, vinylneck (no worries, he doesn't post here anymore) has been sweatin this shit forever since a Ft Worth homie hipped him to it. I still haven't heard it. how is it?

As far as other Odessa funk.. I know of none except for Felipe Y Sus Sensacionales' "Sensational Soul" which sounds like a 3rd rate Sunny & the Sunliners but I still dig it.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    *ahem

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Odessa Permian, STATE CHAMPS WHUT!

But y'all are all oilfield trash.

Signed,
    Oil-Refining Trash

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Signed,
    Oil-Refining Trash

Did you hear that Texas City blew up again about a month ago?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Signed,
    Oil-Refining Trash

Did you hear that Texas City blew up again about a month ago?

Yeah. It's like the Spring Equinox or some shit. Seems like something 'splodes every year.

Another reason to gtfo outta Southeast Texas.

Sorry for the hijack--congrats on your Tejas Raer, Tom!

• vinylneckvinylneck 50 Posts
    Spot blown! Ha, vinylneck (no worries, he doesn't post here anymore) has been sweatin this shit forever since a Ft Worth homie hipped him to it. I still haven't heard it. how is it?

I demoted myself to lurker status...stay on your toes...doods!

Damn! When Am I gonna find this stinkin' record?

word, i guess

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I demoted myself to lurker status...stay on your toes...doods!

Damn! When Am I gonna find this stinkin' record?

word, i guess

Have you actually heard it? I found a sealed copy a couple years ago at PDQ. It was $10. I broke the seal (GASP!) when the employees weren't looking and slipped it on the portable. It fucking sucked. Stashed it away and haven't seen it since.

In retrospect, I probably should've bought it anyways. It did look raer as fuck which these days usually means $$$$. And who knows? It might've been good but maybe my tastes hadn't been as refined back then. If I ever come across it stashed in the racks again, I'll grab it for you (ayo!).

Herm

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I stopped by a Goodwill at lunch today, and pulled an interesting looking record. I believe the title was "To My Friends" by Adam and the Ghetto. It had a stock, sunset over water cover, and the label said Spiral Records out of Odessa, Texas. Anyone know the deal?

It definately looks funky. Adam Rodriguez was the leader I believe.

I'm just listening now. It's a blend of jazz, soul, and rock. Most of it's midtempo. It's not hard-driving funky, but more in a mellow groove. Fortunately, the instrumentation is nice b/c Adam Rodriguez isn't the most gifted of singers. He does kill it on the flute. One real solid inst. titled "Jasmine," and a nice chill Flute and guitar duo called "You and I." Title track ain't bad either. Wish I had a scanner for the back. Nice band shots.

This one's got a little note written on the front:

This is to two very beautiful friends John + Maria from Jimmy & Gilma,
    Your home boy from West Odessa Texas

As I listen...dude can definately not sing... and I dig E. McDaniels, Andy Bey, etc.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Sorry for the hijack--congrats on your Tejas Raer, T*m!

Someone knows my name!

• vinylneckvinylneck 50 Posts
    If I ever come across it stashed in the racks again, I'll grab it for you (ayo!).Herm

you're the best