52 !?! Aston Barrett Related.

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4814204.stmThe bassist from Bob Marley's band the Wailers has taken his claim for a ??60m share of the late reggae singer's estate to the High Court in London. Aston Barrett claims he is owed the royalties from a contract signed with Island Records in 1974, plus earnings from songs co-written with Marley. Universal-Island Records and the Marley family say Barrett gave up his right to further royalties in a 1994 settlement. The bassist was a member of the band from 1969 until Marley's death in 1981. Barrett - who has reportedly fathered 52 children [/b] - alleges that he was only paid a proportion of the amount owed to him after Marley's death. Universal-Island Records say all the former band members agreed to monetary settlements to end any further litigation. The court was told Barrett and drummer brother Carlton - who was murdered in 1986 - had met Marley in the late 1960s when the singer was not well known outside the Caribbean. 'New sound' Barrett's lawyer Stephen Bate told the court that the early collaborations with Marley proved a success. Mr Bate said the line-up had built on the "extraordinary songwriting abilities of Bob Marley". "They realised they had a new sound no one else had got," he said. "The chief reason for the musical breakthrough and international acclaim was Aston Barrett and his brother." Marley died at the age of 36 without making a will In 1974, Marley told Barrett that he had signed a contract giving the brothers a share of royalties, said Mr Bate. By 1976, the band had an agreement that any session musicians would be paid a fee, Marley would take 50% of earnings and the rest would be shared between the Barrett brothers, said Mr Bate. Marley's widow Rita is due to give evidence during the hearing, which is expected to last up to three weeks. Lawyers for Universal-Island Records will put the case for the record company. Fifty Two? are you fucking kidding? jesus, they should give him the money outta respect. 52! fuckit give him a medal as well.52...jesus.

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I wonder how many of those kids he actually talks to. Who does he think he is Screaming Jay Hawkins.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I wonder how many of those kids he actually talks to. Who does he think he is Screaming Jay Hawkins.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

His middle name is Family Man

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

this is true...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Isn't his nickname "Family Man" ?

I've always wondered how much money Legend has made. For some strange reason I just don't believe it's only sold 10 million.

Ahh you guys are quick on the family man biz!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    funny, was just talking to bill,
    a record dealer two tables over at the lancaster show,
    about this

he sees familyman often
    they both live in the same eastern shore maryland town

strange cause i know bill from when we were both jocks on wrnr 103.1
    where i was spinning reggae

familyman lives in town with one of his babymothers
    so he does see some of his children

oh shit, cant believe i forgot that.

• Options
    It's hard to fathom his contributions to Jamaican music. He's played on more dope albums/7's/12's than anyone IMO.

Familyman plays bass on the LP, you pick it up.

K in Canada.

• Options

Especially when it says it like so

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, how many kids did ODB sire before he cashed his chips? I am sure he made double figures. As did Marley, I am told by my Jamaican friends.

ok, heres the update, the court has ruled and...

from bbcnews

Marley bassist loses royalty bid

Aston Barrett said he had a partnership agreement with Marley
    The bassist from Bob Marley's band The Wailers has lost his court battle for ??60m in unpaid royalties.
    Aston Barrett, 60, claimed he was owed royalties from a contract signed with Island Records in 1974, plus earnings from songs co-written with Marley.

But Mr Justice Lewison dismissed the claim, which was brought against the record company and the Marley family at the High Court in London.

Barrett played with The Wailers from 1969 until Marley died aged 36 in 1981.

He claimed Marley promised the members of the band equal shares of royalties from hit albums including Babylon by Bus, Natty Dread and Rastaman Vibration.

It was hard to listen to Aston Barrett reduce his friend Bob to someone who was more interested in playing football

Marley family statement
    During the trial, Marley's widow Rita told the High Court that Mr Barrett and his drummer brother Carly - who was murdered in 1986 - were "viewed as backing session musicians".

She did acknowledge, however, that Barrett and his brother brought a unique sound to the group.

Island Records founder Chris Blackwell also played down the contributions of the brothers and said Barrett surrendered his right to further royalties in a 1994 agreement.

In a statement released after the ruling, the Marley family welcomed the decision.

'Hurtful and expensive'

"For the last four years, Aston Barrett has persisted in this hurtful and extremely expensive claim which was actually settled in 1994.

"The family of Bob Marley is delighted that the claim has now been rejected in full.

"We always felt that this would be the outcome and it was hard to listen to Aston Barrett reduce his friend Bob to someone who was more interested in playing football than making music.

"Now that the action is over, the family want to concentrate on keeping Bob's legacy alive and to introduce new generations to his music."

Mr Justice Lewison also imposed an order barring Mr Barrett from taking any further action without the permission of the court.

now hows he gonna feed all them kids?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    No lie,

When i was in high school there was this guy in my town claiming that HE WAS Aston Barrett...he took a bunch of people for money, it was a pretty weird scene. It all happened when people first started 'hanging out' like hitting the same place (in this case a little corner diner) like every night. i never met this guy or anything but it is definately one of the weirder things that went on in my town when i was growing up.