Damn SOULSTRUT has gotten crazy!!!!

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    CRATE DIGGING DJ & B>HIP HOP CULTURE/B>

Hip Hop Culture[/b]? A culture?! Hahahaha!

Can we make a separate board for losers like this guy?

Well, I wasn't mad while writing that. I just had to laugh about that. Hip Hop is no culture (i'm not mad). it's more like a cult (not in a bad way).

You don't even know me. Call me loser face-to-face if you really need to. What's the point of insulting people on the internet?

you are pretty much talking out of your ass man.
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861601882/culture.html

your hatting on hiphop is pretty silly, ive told you this before. so you probably know how i feel about that allready.

So tell me about the values of hip hop. Young man!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

your hatting on hiphop is pretty silly, ive told you this before. so you probably know how i feel about that allready.

the way you approach me is coming right out of your ass, man!!! And stop using the MSN encarta. go buy a book. or use a proper website.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think the main point your missing is that without hip hop, this board and almost every other record board wouldn't be here, and the record collecting scene would be 100 times smaller. While I don't get down with a huge portion of the stuff that comes out now, there is no denying on my part, that alot of the post on here involving hip hop are pretty entertaining.

Remember... The boards says:

Soulstrut.com
    Crate Digging DJ & Hip Hop Culture not[/b] Crate Digging DJ & No Hip Hop.

Nuff said

Also... What problem do you have with saying Hip Hop is a culture? Remember what the teacher said: "Rap is something you do. Hip Hop is something you live."

• Just gotta say...I'm a newb, and part of what attracted me to this place was that it is a mess. Hip hop threads are next to Psych threads are next to "How am I gonna sneak reading material into the work bathroom" threads. If you're gonna remove the hip hop, why stop there? why not a discussion of which coworkers you want to give the gasface?

Purity is for virgins and fascists.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

the way you approach me is coming right out of your ass, man!!! And stop using the MSN encarta. go buy a book. or use a proper website.

was about to write you a reply, but youre honestly not worth it. i got better things to do.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    its a forum made up of hundreds of folks from around the world. we all have different thoughts and opinions on a wide variety of topics.

I usually wouldn't jump into one of these threads but I've been thinking about this stuff for a few weeks now...

For better or worse message boards like Soul Strut are Democracy in action (trust me, I'm not about to get all political or anything here). Personally I would rather have everyone post whatever they want on this board and then sift through what I am interested in myself, then favor the idea of separating "this from that" because I don't want to see it. I'm sorry, but that's a very dangerous move that can (and has) slipped into censorship in other places. I'm not saying that's necessarily what's happening here, and I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but we all just have to think back to the "ban" and "ignore user" threads to see some of these tendencies.

My television gives me a buttload (yes, that is an official amount) of channels and shows. Would I want them to block any of those just because I thought at one time I wasn't interested? No. I'd rather always have the option of choosing for myself.

There are threads on here that I never click just based on their subject line. I make the choice based on whether I think I'll be interested or not. But there have also been threads where I didn't think it was going to be interesting and then I see it go to 4 or 5 pages, and the subject of the thread starts to spread out from the original and bam, I find myself reading it and being interested. If that were blocked, or in another forum, I may never get around to seeing it. It's bad enough that I don't make it over to the announcements forum often enough and miss shit over there.

No, I prefer to have a full range of options to choose from.
    I don???t mind skimming past topics that are not interesting to me.
    The part of this democracy that I have a harder time with is when people go from kidding around and fooling on each other, to outright hostility.
    But unfortunately that is part of this whole thing too, so I find that I do what I do out here in the real world, I just step away. It's not worth my time or energy.

Shit, this was longer than I thought it would be.
    Fuck it...thanks for reading.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Just gotta say...I'm a newb, and part of what attracted me to this place was that it is a mess. Hip hop threads are next to Psych threads are next to "How am I gonna sneak reading material into the work bathroom" threads. If you're gonna remove the hip hop, why stop there? why not a discussion of which coworkers you want to give the gasface?

i wouldn't mind to read sth about hip hop RECORDS. or hip hop MUSIC. it's just that nobody is posting anything about records these days. where are the RR questions?

for example,
    just look at how many germans are on this board. there are so many good german records. when was the last time you seen a german write about his favorite record? giving tips? wouldn't you like to read more about good records? i mean, i would!

where the Psych threads at?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

was about to write you a reply, but youre honestly not worth it. i got better things to do.

haha! what? produce beats? hitting buttons?

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Cosign.

• Just gotta say...I'm a newb, and part of what attracted me to this place was that it is a mess. Hip hop threads are next to Psych threads are next to "How am I gonna sneak reading material into the work bathroom" threads. If you're gonna remove the hip hop, why stop there? why not a discussion of which coworkers you want to give the gasface?

i wouldn't mind to read sth about hip hop RECORDS. or hip hop MUSIC. it's just that nobody is posting anything about records these days. where are the RR questions?

for example,
    just look at how many germans are on this board. there are so many good german records. when was the last time you seen a german write about his favorite record? giving tips? wouldn't you like to read more about good records? i mean, i would!

where the Psych threads at?

Some weeks, all I read about on here is records. This week? Mostly cooking and Isaac Hayes' religion.
    Ebbs and flows...as was pointed out above, what is more boring than a bunch of dudes sitting around talking nothing but records? We all come here because we have that in common. So, its a forgone conclusion we'll talk records. What interests me more are the things I DON'T have in common with other record collectors. That is when things get interesting.

And I stand by what I said about Purity, Virgins, and Fascists.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

And I stand by what I said about Purity, Virgins, and Fascists.

Nobody is naturally born a fascist, but we are all born virgins.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Also... What problem do you have with saying Hip Hop is a culture? Remember what the teacher said: "Rap is something you do. Hip Hop is something you live."

I don't want to argue about hip hop. For me, it's no culture. My definition of culture might be different than yours. For me, there are no important values in hip hop. No ethics. It's more like a cult for the youth. Don't get mad please. You have to understand that people think different about this. I don't believe that hip hop is that important. It's mostly a fashion for young people, otherwise a cult. I wasn't laughing at hip hop itself. i was laughing at the way "culture" was used.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

if you dont like it go somewhere thats more accommodating. youve been here long enough to know how shit works. probably 90% of the people on SS are here or got here because of hiphop and its going to come up. get over it. its been said before man, if the thread is about hiphop just dont fucking click on it and i wont click on your thread about the "european soulstrut meeting". why? because i dont give a damn and it has no interest to me. see how that works.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

my beats cure aids!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    its not that the topics are bad. its the way they are handled by the newer posters.

• I doubt that 90% of this board is here because of hip hop. This is far from the truth. Me personally, I stopped listening and buying hip hop for my collection in 1990... Well before the golden age and the apex of the genre ( I estimate the apex of Hip Hop as 1992 ). I bought a lot of rap and hip hop before 1990. I had several hundred records but I gave up because my musical feild expanded so drastically. I saw Public Enemy in 1989 and it was a bad performance. I never could get into the sound and performance of hip hop live with the exception of seeing Young MC before his record deal at some little club when I was 17 or so.

With this being said I much of the drive of my record dealing has been from an interest in hip hop by the consumer. Whoever said that record collecting would be quite dead without hip hop is exactly right. I would have never made a living at this because I sold tens of thousands of records to two Japanese shops in the late 90's. The majority of those records were hip hop and R&B 12" singles from the 1990's and sample LP's.

Now I don't care about hip hop anymore. I used to love her but it is honestly like almost, but not quite, a dead genre. Hate me for saying it. That's OK. A handful of great, mostly underground artists keep that genre going. The commercial aspect of it is honestly as worn out as disco was in 1979. This is coming from a person who is straight up addicted to antiquated things ( analog photography, phonographic records ).

So I was brought to the board by some sample collecting beat making dudes calling me out on here. That's how I got here. So i guess hip hop brought me here too.

I am not sure why I took the time out of my morning to write this but I guess it is because I just have to vent in public. Much the same reason I love soulstrut in the first place. For me that's what it is all about. I have never really questioned the topic of posts. If I don't care about a post I just won't link on it and go to another one. If I can't find another one I will just make one of my own. Preferably something about dropping a duraflame log out of my ass or Gwindolin dreadlock ballsac.

Have a nice day,

ap

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I doubt that 90% of this board is here because of hip hop. This is far from the truth. Me personally, I stopped listening and buying hip hop for my collection in 1990... Well before the golden age and the apex of the genre ( I estimate the apex of Hip Hop as 1992 ). I bought a lot of rap and hip hop before 1990. I had several hundred records but I gave up because my musical feild expanded so drastically. I saw Public Enemy in 1989 and it was a bad performance. I never could get into the sound and performance of hip hop live with the exception of seeing Young MC before his record deal at some little club when I was 17 or so.

With this being said I much of the drive of my record dealing has been from an interest in hip hop by the consumer. Whoever said that record collecting would be quite dead without hip hop is exactly right. I would have never made a living at this because I sold tens of thousands of records to two Japanese shops in the late 90's. The majority of those records were hip hop and R&B 12" singles from the 1990's and sample LP's.

Now I don't care about hip hop anymore. I used to love her but it is honestly like almost, but not quite, a dead genre. Hate me for saying it. That's OK. A handful of great, mostly underground artists keep that genre going. The commercial aspect of it is honestly as worn out as disco was in 1979. This is coming from a person who is straight up addicted to antiquated things ( analog photography, phonographic records ).

So I was brought to the board by some sample collecting beat making dudes calling me out on here. That's how I got here. So i guess hip hop brought me here too.

I am not sure why I took the time out of my morning to write this but I guess it is because I just have to vent in public. Much the same reason I love soulstrut in the first place. For me that's what it is all about. I have never really questioned the topic of posts. If I don't care about a post I just won't link on it and go to another one. If I can't find another one I will just make one of my own. Preferably something about dropping a duraflame log out of my ass or Gwindolin dreadlock ballsac.

Have a nice day,

ap

Co-sign on just about everything. I found SS through Motown's excellent reviews and I stopped buying hip hop on the regular about 15 years ago. The hip hoppers here are vocal but not sure whether they're as big a part of SS as you think.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    But selling hip hop is on a tiny part of the deal. Part of the reason many even check out older music in the past 20-25 years is because they somehow came across it in the beginning through hip hop. Or through someone else, who got their fix started through hip hop. I could talk to a hundred DJ's and ask them about how they got started. Most in the last 15 years would say because they started with hip hop.

Where would turntable or mixer sales be today without the genre? Didn't Raj once say part of why he started this board was because he wanted to make tracks like Pete Rock? Not saying you have to like it.. But give it it's props... What else in the last 25 years even comes close to hip hop as a reason why record collecting is as big as it is or makes many records profitable?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wasn't laughing at hip hop itself. i was laughing at the way "culture" was used.

Well, considering that I quoted straight from the masthead at
    the top of every page on Soul Strut, maybe you should re-think
    about why you hang out on here all the time. Maybe you should
    just go to Vinyl Vulture and act all smug and superior over there.

I don't get this "remake Soul Strut in my own image" BS.

Maybe I just haven't been around long enough to develop this
    attitude, but I think it's more that certain people just don't grasp
    or care that hundreds of people make up this (and any) forum,
    and therefore it will always have things you like and don't like.
    Stop trying to control it, and learn to deal with it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Stop trying to control it, and learn to deal with it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Maybe you should just go to Vinyl Vulture and act all smug and superior over there.

?!?!?! nonsense. who do you think i am / you are? stay cool. you don't know me. be nice to me, please.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I stopped buying hip hop about 15 years ago, but started again about 5 years ago. A lot of hip hop can be considered great art on par with other genres like jazz. But the closer you get to the present, the thicker the forest, and the harder to find good things. But that goes for most genres, really.

That said, I've frequented a lot of different record nerd circles in my time (jazz, classical, psych, prog, pre-war blues, etc.). Within each of these circles, there is a contigent of folks who are very close-minded unless you talk about [blank] in the context of [blank]. I feel like there is a greater percentage of these folks in hip-hop collectro circles. It just seems too damn ironic that a genre responsible for breaking down walls and resorting so much information could be so partisan, myopic and conservative in the end. But I might be way off? But it also has a lot to do with the median age of hip hop collectors.

Maybe you should just go to Vinyl Vulture and act all smug and superior over there.

?!?!?! nonsense. who do you think i am / you are? stay cool. you don't know me. be nice to me, please.

Uh, yeah. I'm cool. You are just talking out of your ass once again,
    whining about hip hop threads on Soul Strut, as if you should be
    able to decide what can and can't be talked about on here.

I was being "nice," trust me. I can be not nice if you want.

I know who I "am" and I could really give a shit who you "are."
    Just because you've done things for the site and people involved doesn't
    mean you can start decreeing what should be discussed - why can't you understand that? Or did you just want to start shit?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't believe that hip hop is that important.

right. and what country do you live in again?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    its a forum made up of hundreds of folks from around the world. we all have different thoughts and opinions on a wide variety of topics.

I usually wouldn't jump into one of these threads but I've been thinking about this stuff for a few weeks now...

For better or worse message boards like Soul Strut are Democracy in action (trust me, I'm not about to get all political or anything here). Personally I would rather have everyone post whatever they want on this board and then sift through what I am interested in myself, then favor the idea of separating "this from that" because I don't want to see it. I'm sorry, but that's a very dangerous move that can (and has) slipped into censorship in other places. I'm not saying that's necessarily what's happening here, and I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but we all just have to think back to the "ban" and "ignore user" threads to see some of these tendencies.

My television gives me a buttload (yes, that is an official amount) of channels and shows. Would I want them to block any of those just because I thought at one time I wasn't interested? No. I'd rather always have the option of choosing for myself.

There are threads on here that I never click just based on their subject line. I make the choice based on whether I think I'll be interested or not. But there have also been threads where I didn't think it was going to be interesting and then I see it go to 4 or 5 pages, and the subject of the thread starts to spread out from the original and bam, I find myself reading it and being interested. If that were blocked, or in another forum, I may never get around to seeing it. It's bad enough that I don't make it over to the announcements forum often enough and miss shit over there.

No, I prefer to have a full range of options to choose from.
    I don???t mind skimming past topics that are not interesting to me.
    The part of this democracy that I have a harder time with is when people go from kidding around and fooling on each other, to outright hostility.
    But unfortunately that is part of this whole thing too, so I find that I do what I do out here in the real world, I just step away. It's not worth my time or energy.

Shit, this was longer than I thought it would be.
    Fuck it...thanks for reading.

Fuck it... thanks for posting.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Uh, yeah. I'm cool. You are just talking out of your ass once again,
    whining about hip hop threads on Soul Strut, as if you should be
    able to decide what can and can't be talked about on here.

I was being "nice," trust me. I can be not nice if you want.

I know who I "am" and I could really give a shit who you "are."
    Just because you've done things for the site and people involved doesn't
    mean you can start decreeing what should be discussed - why can't you understand that? Or did you just want to start shit?

this is what i said earlier:
    Most of the NRR is totally stupid. Especially some [/b] of those Hip Hop threads. Why don't people go on hip hop websites and post that stuff? Very few posts are a good read.
    actually i like hip hop a lot. but i consider it music only. why hate on me?

let's leave it at that, ok? you didn't read my posts. i don't know if you're dumb or just choleric. settle down. you show no respect. this is an internet forum. we might have different opinions about things. you need to deal with that. and you need to learn how to approach people that think different.

still, if you need it:
    please don't be nice anymore. show me what you got! get all shivery and sweaty, please. i will talk out of my ass again if you want me to. no prob.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I don't believe that hip hop is that important.

right. and what country do you live in again?

WTF? What are you trying to tell me?
    Do you want me to remind you of where you live?

i will talk out of my ass again if you want me to.

I missed the part where you stopped.

Since you contradict yourself in every sentence, I see no
    point in continuing to argue with you about this. I'm fairly
    confident everyone else reading this has noted the bullshit
    you put out there, and don't need my help finding it.
    Nice try in baiting me to fight some more, but no dice.
    Go ahead and keep trying to tell people what to post about,
    and good luck fighting hip hop on Soul Strut, it will be amusing
    to see you continue to make an ass of yourself.

HAVE AN EXCITING DAY ON SOUL STRUT!

• dhrupickdhrupick 21 Posts
    Guys the NRR thraeds have here gone too far and especially the ones about funk and
    crate digging. and funk music. I like funk and all but[/b] i think it's just music and i think crate digging is just fashion and more of a cult for young people than a culture. why
    don't you go to a crate digging website to talk about that stuff and keep it record releated here?

you didn't read my post lets leave it. this is the disrespectful. why all the hate? get mad at me but do not get me sweaty!

post of the year