Chick wants to skimp on the wedding, rent an ipod?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
So this friend of my girl's contacts me about playing her wedding... except she's short on money, she's over budget, blah blah blah. I tell her the least I can do is $800. Plus I gotta rent a PA. She asks if she can rent my ipod.I say well, there's a lot of *inappropriate* material on there... she's like, well can you just design some playlists? I tell her I'd need a couple hundred anyway, just for the trouble. She wants to think about it. Then I start thinking, you know what? I don't even like this girl, why am I doing her a favor. Renting my ipod is like renting my taste without paying for the gig. So I'm kinda thinking of withdrawing from it completely.Whut wood reel headz du?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    So this friend of my girl's contacts me about playing her wedding... except she's short on money, she's over budget, blah blah blah. I tell her the least I can do is $800. Plus I gotta rent a PA. She asks if she can rent my ipod.

I say well, there's a lot of *inappropriate* material on there... she's like, well can you just design some playlists? I tell her I'd need a couple hundred anyway, just for the trouble. She wants to think about it. Then I start thinking, you know what? I don't even like this girl, why am I doing her a favor. Renting my ipod is like renting my taste without paying for the gig. So I'm kinda thinking of withdrawing from it completely.

Whut wood reel headz du?

Can it right now.
    Totally not worth it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What's she planning to do, borrow your iPod and keep running back and forth hitting pause the whole time? I have never heard of that kind of thing at a wedding. But if she just wants you to set up some playlists and handle it herself, I say go ahead and get that money.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Nah she would rent the ipod and just play pre-designed playlists that I put together... basically, I would be DJing without bringing the equipment or playing the records. Still, putting together the playlists would be time consuming

Paychex, if you 'rent' her the ipod, you WILL get further roped in, 'specially if you are invited to the shindig. You would be better off doing the thing proper YOUR WAY at a discount as a wedding gift if you really can't say no.

Just walk away, son.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Man thats kind of pathetic of ol'girl. Why doesn't she just burn a few cd's, plug in a boom box, and call it a day?! Aren't you only supposed to get married once? Anyways, don't rent out your ipod, they're expensive and you never know what could happen to it or if you'd get it back.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Sounds like it'll come down to what the time and effort is worth to you. And if she's giving you a list of 50+ or so songs to trackdown, convert, and organize it may not be worth it if she's skimping by on budget in the first place.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    So this friend of my girl's contacts me about playing her wedding... except she's short on money, she's over budget, blah blah blah. I tell her the least I can do is $800. Plus I gotta rent a PA. She asks if she can rent my ipod.

I say well, there's a lot of *inappropriate* material on there... she's like, well can you just design some playlists? I tell her I'd need a couple hundred anyway, just for the trouble. She wants to think about it. Then I start thinking, you know what? I don't even like this girl, why am I doing her a favor. Renting my ipod is like renting my taste without paying for the gig. So I'm kinda thinking of withdrawing from it completely.

Whut wood reel headz du?

Tell her you'll rent her the Ipod for $750

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Kinda funny... I was just having a convo with a close friend of mine in cali right this second on the same topic.

[09:34:29] ****: the only thing i wish is that i had kept a tighter rein on the DJ

**** :a friendish person who DJ's on the side did it, and i gave him a list, but he wasn't playing half of what i gave him till i pulled a bridezilla moment

****: he does everything off ipods so i even gave him all the music on my ipod so he couldn't be like "oh i don't have it"

Billy: ipod dj seems sketchy. I'm glad the rest of the wedding went great... You deserve it!

****: he did a crappy job for how much he charged

• So this friend of my girl's contacts me about playing her wedding... except she's short on money, she's over budget, blah blah blah. I tell her the least I can do is $800. Plus I gotta rent a PA. She asks if she can rent my ipod.

Whut wood reel headz du?

That's funny, and not totally unfair...and this from someone planning a wedding.

JPay, your prices are totally reasonable, and if she wants to borrow your iPod, I think it is totally legit to ask for some cash. She is paying for your taste and expertise, and as that is your line of work, it should cost her something. That's what DJing is. And people do it for a living, and it costs money.

Like I said, I'm working on planning a wedding (looks like I even scored my DJ from the strut) and your DJ prices are reasonable. If she wants to go cheap, that shouldn't be free.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Whut wood reel headz du?

That's funny, and not totally unfair...and this from someone planning a wedding.

JPay, your prices are totally reasonable, and if she wants to borrow your iPod, I think it is totally legit to ask for some cash. She is paying for your taste and expertise, and as that is your line of work, it should cost her something. That's what DJing is. And people do it for a living, and it costs money.

Like I said, I'm working on planning a wedding (looks like I even scored my DJ from the strut) and your DJ prices are reasonable. If she wants to go cheap, that shouldn't be free.

There was an article several years ago in the WSJ about a really powerful attorney, like a partner at Cravath or something, and he charged his client like $50,000 for a phone call, and the bar association complained. His response was something like, hey, it took me 40 years to build this roladex.

You could probably say the same thing about your record collection.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Can you play Laffy Taffy?

• exactly. i would not do that shit in a million years johnny. check it out... you know how i am closing all that raer euro jazz this week? i have had three emails from people wanting to come over to our office and " check out the records " because they want to bid.

i got one guy who really is a friend of mine who i will have over today to check out the records. he is coming buy this morning. he wont win any of these records.

he gives me a line like " you most likely wont get much for those british records because your not a UK dealer, let me check those out and i will bid on them for you ". yea right... i have a mailing list of 8000 people. i will set record prices on some of those items but he's gonna help a brother out who has no ebay cred. great.

you know what it amounts to? i am a library for these folls. i have folls who want to be my " friend " come over to my crib and the first thing they want to do is drop the neddle on 200 records that they have no clue about. i feel raped by they time they are done with the library visit. i had one foll who i am absolutly positiviely never speaking to again start writing down matrix numbers to raer acetates from my personal collection on his second visit to my house. one of these tracker dudes. it's just bad form.

your music and your personal collection is almost like your artwork. it is something that took you years to put together not just from digging but from developing a sensibility. developing a sensibility is the harder part. that takes more work and intuition than having bread and buying a bunch of cool and expensive records.

dont let this person commidify your ipod. and if i ever invite any of you dudes over to my house please dont go straight for my stacks with a pair of headphones. it is super bad form.

ap

Can you play Laffy Taffy?

hey, he hasn't been building that collection up over the years to NOT play Laffy Taffy!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Don't do it. Joe (Eleven) just went through a very similar thing where he put together playlists and burned 5 CDs for a bride too cheap to hire a DJ. In the end she didn't pay him because they had pauses between the songs, even though he told her the CDs were going to be like that. You should be asking for $1500 for a wedding and getting at least $1200. If they won't pay that, they are too cheap to deal with, IMO, unless we're talking about friends.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    your music and your personal collection is almost like your artwork. it is something that took you years to put together not just from digging but from developing a sensibility. developing a sensibility is the harder part. that takes more work and intuition than having bread and buying a bunch of cool and expensive records.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    The invite can read: Featuring music by Jonny Paycheck's iPod

Myself, I would take a few hundred to make some playlists and do it, but if you feel weird, there's probably a reason.

I will hiring a famous dj for my wedding who goes by the name of Mr. Phonics

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Don't do it. Joe (Eleven) just went through a very similar thing where he put together playlists and burned 5 CDs for a bride too cheap to hire a DJ. In the end she didn't pay him because they had pauses between the songs, even though he told her the CDs were going to be like that. You should be asking for $1500 for a wedding and getting at least $1200. If they won't pay that, they are too cheap to deal with, IMO, unless we're talking about friends.

Thanks for this dude. Joe was in the store yesterday too. I just called and said DJ or no deal, I'm not going to put myself in a position of providing music but having no control over it.

As for the fee, you know I am not even remotely established as a DJ and so I would feel weird asking for more than a grand, but I usually start there with $800 being the minimum. Either way yeah she is too cheap so she will have some CDs that she cops or creates herself.

skimping on your wedding is a pretty bad look.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Whut wood reel headz du?

fuckin snob

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

At our wedding, we hired a DJ for the dancing--but since we were doing everything at home, we decided to use the iPod for dinner/"apres ceremony" music. Volume set at 3 kind of music. Worked fine and saved us some money, but definitely not a viable option after 8pm.

I personally wouldn't want to hand off playlists for an event like that, especially not for money. The biggest issue we faced was inconsistent volume--I can only imagine how bridezilla would react if she expected seamlessly mixed playlists at a consistent volume for 3+ hours but got...

At that point, it isn't worth squeezing sympathy pay out of an unsatisfied customer, IMO.

Anyway--sounds like you're making the right decision.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Thanks for this dude. Joe was in the store yesterday too. I just called and said DJ or no deal, I'm not going to put myself in a position of providing music but having no control over it.

As for the fee, you know I am not even remotely established as a DJ and so I would feel weird asking for more than a grand, but I usually start there with $800 being the minimum. Either way yeah she is too cheap so she will have some CDs that she cops or creates herself.

You made the right call, now man up and start asking for what you are worth. One large or no love from Paychex.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

As for the fee, you know I am not even remotely established as a DJ and so I would feel weird asking for more than a grand,

get over it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

trying to limit expenses for a wedding is a good look, since most shit is overthetop. it depends on how you do it. this chick is doing it wrong.

but know what you want to spend for something and if a vendor can't do it...tell them sorry and move on.

but yeah, you get what pay for.

trying to limit expenses for a wedding is a good look, since most shit is overthetop. it depends on how you do it. this chick is doing it wrong.

but know what you want to spend for something and if a vendor can't do it...tell them sorry and move on.

but yeah, you get what pay for.

I had a boom box that we bought(and later returned to the Circuit City, how's that for cheap?)with one CD I threw together for the reception in our hotel suite in Vegas. Only 25 people at our wedding and reception, so basically when the CD was over we moved the party to a Chinese restaraunt near Sahara and rounded out the night with some Karaoke.

If I had had an iPod then we would have been able to save on the time and expense of buying the boom box in the first place.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Whut wood reel headz du?

Screw it. Make that money. Seriously, a few hundred dollars just to make up a track list?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Shit I'll go to the wedding with my ipod for $500...Provided it's an open bar

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

Can it right now.
    Totally not worth it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    There was an article several years ago in the WSJ about a really powerful attorney, like a partner at Cravath or something, and he charged his client like $50,000 for a phone call, and the bar association complained. His response was something like, hey, it took me 40 years to build this roladex.

Fucking hell. Did he get away with that unpunished?

Anyway, I was just at a wedding last night that was done very much on the cheap--for the music, the couple created their own iPod playlist, hooked the thing up to the PA, and that was that. Not the best of looks, I must say, but then again, they did it themselves to save the money of having to hire somebody else to handle the music. This "make us a playlist and we'll pay you" scheme sounds like it's gonna be pretty shady, though. I'd be kinda wary of it.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I've done the playlists for people and I don't like it. I agree with everyone here in respect to the pre-ceremony music , dinner music or cocktail music and using a set playlist, but once the party's cracking you NEED a dj, plain and simple. I don't recommend doing the playlist cuz in the end the wedding will suck-ass and your playlist doesn't always fit well with what the people are into or feelin on that particular day.

And damn, i need to up my prices when I do a mobile!!!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Fucking hell. Did he get away with that unpunished?

Punish him? I want to shake dude's hand. If you can find someone dumb enough and rich enough to pay 50K for a phone call's worth of legal advice then you have every right to charge them 50k for that phone call. You wouldn't think twice about charging marcofunk 50K for you private press boner if you thought he'd pay that much. At least I wouldn't think twice about doing that. Shit's worth as mucha as someone's willing to pay for it and if they're willing to pay 50k then so be it. Anyway, the lawyer's client clearly had issues with being charged that much or he or she wouldn't have gone to the bar association. I should be so lucky to be able to make that kind of money for a phone call. Word on the street is that sabadabada already charges twice that (but his legal advice comes with a happy ending).