How to mail 8" records?

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I'm wondering how you guys would suggest mailing 8" records. There are no mailers specifically designed for this purpose (as far as i know), so feasible homemade solutions are encouraged. My friend has been doing the two pieces of cardboard, bubble wrap around the record itself, and then tape around the edges method.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Well, since there are no record mailers here in Argentina, I've been using cardboard pieces forever. Two pieces per side. Never had a broken record. Brown paper on the outside.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    some mailers will hold up to like 10, but some hold more like 5. What I do is take a normal mailer and a large piece of cardboard and trace the mailer but add extra length to the flaps.

• some mailers will hold up to like 10, but some hold more like 5. What I do is take a normal mailer and a large piece of cardboard and trace the mailer but add extra length to the flaps.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming! Do you mean take a 45 mailer and add length? If so, i'll give that a go too when I restock on those.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    oh shit - I thought you said 8 records - not an 8" record.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just cut 2 bits of reasonably hefty card to squares that are just bigger than the record. Sandwitch the record between the cards & tape your record sandwitch together with parcel tape. Thats the only way I ever mail records & have never had one damaged in the post ever.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    hmmm...i'm thinking you grab a regular lp mailer, sandwich joe's 8" between a copy of a ph*s* s*v*n and a lui record and place them inside the mailer, tape it up, and send them to me.

• hahaha. i like your avatar uncle gabby.

• I guessing most people don't use bubble wrap (is the cardboard that much better?)...it may be worth having some around so you could double wrap 7" or 8"s to fit inside regular 12" mailers

if you don't have that, just wrap it in a lp mailer with newspaper solidly packed.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    just use a 12" mailer, wrap the 8" record and between two pieces of cardboard filler in bubble wrap a couple times and tape it to the side of the 12" mailer. it might take the receiver of the merchandise a while to open but it should be safe.

oh wait did someone already say that, i don't know i don't actually read any these threads...