Christopher "The Notorious BIG" Wallace RIP

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I remember where I was was when I heard the news - Sunday morning, about halfway up the Jersey turnpike on my way to NY with my little brother and my girlfriend at the time. The announcement hit me like a punch to the chest. It was a grey, rainy day in NY and it just seemed all that more dreary because of the loss. I walked around Manhattan in a daze that day, came back to Philly that night and ended my gig with 2 hours of Biggie, including about a half hour straight of "Hypnotize" while people danced and cried.Where were you?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was in a certain record store in London England. The day before I had dropped off a box of promos for Hypnotize I believe. I was still jet lagged and I couldn't really think straight. Dude looked at me and was like.. Ummm can you get me more... Then told me what had happened. I went for a walk...

• I was sleeping off a hangover when a friend called with the news. I remember feeling sadness, but not shock-- after Pac's murder it seemed inevitable that someone would go for Biggie.

The next day I was at my office job and almost got into it with a few co-workers, older folks who knew I DJ'ed hip hop and were looking to make small talk. Several of them had seized on the portion of the news coverage that described Biggie as a former crack dealer and said shit along the lines of, "So what? He was a crack dealer. Of course he got shot." I pushed back my urge to whale on them and tried patiently explaining to them that he was a family man who had done some bad shit in his youth but left it behind and gone on to make some great art. It seemed lost on them.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I was sleeping off a hangover when a friend called with the news. I remember feeling sadness, but not shock-- after Pac's murder it seemed inevitable that someone would go for Biggie.

The next day I was at my office job and almost got into it with a few co-workers, older folks who knew I DJ'ed hip hop and were looking to make small talk. Several of them had seized on the portion of the news coverage that described Biggie as a former crack dealer and said shit along the lines of, "So what? He was a crack dealer. Of course he got shot." I pushed back my urge to whale on them and tried patiently explaining to them that he was a family man who had done some bad shit in his youth but left it behind and gone on to make some great art. It seemed lost on them.

I was in a high school science class and had a similar debate with the teacher and several redneck students.

RIP BIG

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    RIP to the greatest

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hanging out with these trifling-azz girls from the other end of the apartment complex that I lived at. Then their trifling-azz friend showed up and started talking about it. I really didn't believe he was telling the truth until later in the day.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    RIP.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Woke up and turned on MTV and they had a crawl running across the screen. I immediately called my girl who refused believe me.

I now work a block away from the Petersen Automotive Museum (the scene of the crime) Theres not a time I don't pass by that I don't say a little prayer.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    after losing in a soccer tournament, and riding the bus back overnight from tennessee, there were a bunch of people just milling around campus talking about it... i remeber thinking it was crazy that so many people at a private, methodist junior college in north carolina gave a shit... everybody white or black, male or female loved dude... has there ever been another rapper that appealed to everyone across the board like B.I.G.?

R.I.P.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    By the way, Antwon Fuqua has been tapped to direct a film about Biggie (this is with Ms. Wallace's approval).

I was initially skeptical but this could turn out ok. What I'm curious to know is whether or not Fuqua would cast "real" rappers or instead, hire actors to play people like Puffy, Tupac, etc. In fact, I'd almost prefer to see the latter though I can understand the desire for a certain kind of authenticity by having real people play themselves.

This also opens the question: who will play Big? Guerilla Black?

• By the way, Antwon Fuqua has been tapped to direct a film about Biggie (this is with Ms. Wallace's approval).

This also opens the question: who will play Big? Guerilla Black?

chubb rock

• I was home and my sister called me. I know Faith pre-Bad Boy so i called her cell and her Personal assistant Manager answered the phone. i was stuck all day, tbinking how senseless this shit was. I had just seen dude 3 months prior at Electric lady where my man was doing a Tracy Lee joint that Biggie was on. He had played us a song that didn't have a title that becam Kick in the Door. RIP Frank White.

• mannnnnnnnnnn i miss big more then any other person i never personally knew.

I'm a HUGE big fan.

I was taking a shower with the radio playing when they said it on power 99. I remember just sitting there listening to the radio all night shocked.

The Greatest Of All Time Died On March 9th.

to quote Ice Cube

So, "Grab yo' dicks if you love hip-hop" and
    fuck you niggaz that shot Big Pop'