Price czech: Too Short - Freaky Tales 12"

Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Just curious, anybody know what the general going rate for the Freaky Tales 12" by Too Short is? Just asking because A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/TOO-SHORT-Freaky-Tales-The-Untold-Story-Part-I-hort_W0QQitemZ4836236638QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">this one went for $24, which was the opening bid, and A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/TOO-HORT-Freaky-Tales-12-SHORT-rare-oop-E-40-bay-area_W0QQitemZ4842618806QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">this one went for $52!? I ask because I just got a copy of it for $8 locally and even was kind of balking at paying that much for it. I checked eBay just for shits and giggles, not because I'm planning on selling it. Does it really regularly go for those eBay prices or is it somewhere in the middle or what? $52 for that 12" seems kind of insane.

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    The first one 24 bucks, is VG+ and listed in the wrong genre and the starting bid was 24 with one bid.

The second one 52 bucks is Mint, in the right genre and the starting bid was only 15 with 7 bids.

Now I think all those things factor in... condition, starting bid and placement. I think a conservative
    "value" would be around 20-30. Considering its in good shape and in demand....I put an emphasis on " in demand" we all know this game is like the weather and seasons change.

Hip hop never ceases to amaze me though and its always going up an down. Private Press ish is going through the roof right now but heavy weight basics are either holding steady or becoming more affordable. This Mya Remix I have a few copies of was going for 45-50 last summer and someone sold for 16 last week. Though thats neither private press or heavy weight, I never seen it go for less than 30 in the past three years. So who is to say really? Dope none the less...Too Short is one of my favorites...what about part 2.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Yeah, condition, starting price and all that matter. I figured part of the reason the $24 one had trouble taking off is that nobody's really going to bite on a starting bid that high unless they just really want it badly. Like I said, I was just curious partly because it seems like a lot of hiphop records have hit the shitter as far as eBay goes. The guy who does the pricing where I buy my records is extremely up on his hiphop (it's his main thing) so I just figured if the Freaky Tales 12" actually goes for those kinds of prices he'd have put more than $8 on the copy I snagged. Mine's in great condition too, a white label promo with absolutely no noise when it plays, so I figured if it's really worth anywhere even close to $25-50 it'd have been priced more in the $12-15 range, not that I'm complaining though.

I'm mostly just curious because, like I said, it seems like a lot of hiphop stuff is going down the shitter anymore. I also got a sealed copy of the original pressing of "Stone Crazy" by the Beatnuts, and looking on eBay that doesn't seem to go for anything at all. One 180g repress of it sold in an eBay store for $12 but that's a completely other thing from an OG regular pressing.

I'm just buying the hiphop stuff for myself though so I'm not really that concerned with what it goes for on eBay these days since I'm not trying to turn this stuff for a profit. I'm just going through my entire collection right now and weeding out all the stuff I never listen to to clear out space. The stuff I don't want I'm looking up on eBay just for rough ideas of what it's worth, setting aside the stuff actually worth selling on eBay and just selling the rest back to the store I bought it all from in the first place for store credit. I'm probably dumping a few hundred records back to them. I'm thinking of offering some stuff up on SoulStrut for trade but I really don't know that anything I have is anything anybody else on here wouldn't already have though. Anybody need 5 copies of the Tom Scott album with "Sneakin' In The Back" on it??

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This Mya Remix I have a few copies of was going for 45-50 last summer and someone sold for 16 last week. Though thats neither private press or heavy weight, I never seen it go for less than 30 in the past three years.

I can only assume you're talking about the Jay-Z version... which shocked the hell out of me when I saw how much it was going for, but its a club classic to this day... should've grabbed a 2nd copy when I had a chance...