Bay area record shows

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
How many are there?I've heard of San Jose and KUSF. What others are there?Thanks

Comments

• There's one in Newark (any one know when the next one is?) And then there's Justin's garage sales (which are usually better than the official record shows IMHO). And the Oakland Downtown Record Show or whatever it's called, which is a bit of a joke because it's usually only two dealers. I think there's one in San Mateo too but I can't speak on it.

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    the Oakland Downtown Record Show or whatever it's called, which is a bit of a joke because it's usually only two dealers.

is this the show organized by the owner of Funky Soul Stop? he wanted to charge me like $40 for Charles Earland's Odyssey LP. I have not been back since.

• the Oakland Downtown Record Show or whatever it's called, which is a bit of a joke because it's usually only two dealers.

is this the show organized by the owner of Funky Soul Stop? he wanted to charge me like $40 for Charles Earland's Odyssey LP. I have not been back since.

Yeah, that's Ed. I've never actually bought a record off him. At the last show there was one guy who set up and had some decent electro and disco for cheap, so that show is not always a total waste of time. Not that I'm actually recommending it to anyone.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    There's one in Newark (any one know when the next one is?)

Here is the current schedule for the Newark Record Swap Meet for 2006. Due to a conflict of dates with other scheduled record shows the June and August shows had to be cancelled.

After the March 12th[/b] show, the remaining shows are as follows:

July 16th. October 15th. December 10th.

Hopefully these dates will remain as scheduled.

• the Oakland Downtown Record Show or whatever it's called, which is a bit of a joke because it's usually only two dealers.

He wanted to charge me $100 for Cymande s/t

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Any show's the second weekend of April??? 7,8,9 ????

the KUSF Rock & Swap is on the 3/19/06 I'll see you their I'm their all the time...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    There's one in Newark (any one know when the next one is?)

Here is the current schedule for the Newark Record Swap Meet for 2006. Due to a conflict of dates with other scheduled record shows the June and August shows had to be cancelled.

After the March 12th[/b] show, the remaining shows are as follows:

July 16th. October 15th. December 10th.

Hopefully these dates will remain as scheduled.

you never go to newark brian... its cool and there are deals to be had. dont expect too much though and know that kusf is 100xs better. newark is more for hanging out in my opinion.

kusf is good but im sick of it. ill be selling there along side OM in a couple weeks.

ed harris' show is okay. hes pricey but your diggin focus cant be on soul and funk or youll get burned. i ALWAYS come up there... but then again im a dealer so i can buy odd shit they dont care about. folkways and puppet records galore! haha... no not really. i buy maybe 4 or 5 records only. its pretty wack but if you have free time after runnin the fleas then its okay.

my sale here at the house is usually fun. not saying that to drag anyone here but it is. though bring a jacket... its cold on my side of the street.

this san jose art gallery thing is up in the air until the first one starts next week.

i dont think foothill does a show anymore but that used to be cool. its been a few years since ive been to one though.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    And the Oakland Downtown Record Show or whatever it's called, which is a bit of a joke because it's usually only two dealers. I think there's one in San Mateo too but I can't speak on it.

The one at the Mama Buzz cafe? Yes, very much a joke. I think guy who runs the Funky Soul Shop heads the record show. His shop is filled with gems which he over prices. As I recall the stuff at his shows is moreorless junk. I tried buying a record from him and he wouldn't sell it to me.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I went to his shop once. Lakeside Fantastic Voyage LP on the wall for 29.99

Never been back since.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Post deleted by edub

my sale here at the house is usually fun. not saying that to drag anyone here but it is. though bring a jacket... its cold on my side of the street.

when's the next one?

this saturday at 10a-1p... there is information in the announcement forum

• edubedub 715 Posts
    haha, yeah, I just peeped the announcement forum after making that last post...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

i dont think foothill does a show anymore but that used to be cool. its been a few years since ive been to one though.

yeah KFJC Foothill college still has there record swap but last year it was at Gunn high school in los altos/palo alto or someplace like that. decent sized turnout, labels and stores.

-rich

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    you never go to newark brian...[/b] its cool and there are deals to be had. dont expect too much though and know that kusf is 100xs better. newark is more for hanging out in my opinion.

Me? I usually always hit up the Newark show... although I did miss the last one. I've found quite a few good pieces there especially when they get some of the dealers up from LA.

I do agree on the 'hanging out' part though everybody there seems to know each other and usually chop it up about, well, records. Alot of older doo-wop cats though... whatever, I dig it.

-B-

huh... have i seen you there or am i leaving too early? 6-8a at the latest.. sometimes 9a but patrick and i, after a long night of cuddling, need to catch our beauty sleep on sundays.

newark is okay. older jazz and doowop heads for sure.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    newark flippin sucks. last one i went to, i literally left with nothing. i hope it doesn't rain this saturday. i think i'll walk over to justin's.

it wont rain... however snow has been forcasted by some meterologists. we'll just have to make snow angels then if it does.

no yellow snow though fellas...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i'll just go ahead and tell you to avoid the mamma buzz show at all costs. one dude was trying to sell me a skated the mack for $40 and another was trying to push a betty davis reish as an og.

• huh... have i seen you there or am i leaving too early? 6-8a at the latest.. sometimes 9a but patrick and i, after a long night of cuddling, need to catch our beauty sleep on sundays.

newark is okay. older jazz and doowop heads for sure.

Justin, do I take it that the doors open at 6 for Newark? I think I'm going to make it this Sunday. Last time I was there I got some decent 45s.

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    the Oakland Downtown Record Show or whatever it's called, which is a bit of a joke because it's usually only two dealers.

He wanted to charge me $100 for Cymande s/t

Cymande - Self Titled? I think he said $75 to me for that one. Today I found the Odyssey LP for only $6.