Black. White. on FX

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
This is painful.And I mean this in the best way.This is good TV. Anyone else watching this? I mean, this is Soulstrut, right?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Project Runway birddawg.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    This is on tonite?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm gonna watch tonight (Pacific Time), but whenever I see the black father done up as a white guy all I can think about is:

"Hey, he looks like Dave Chappell as the white newscaster!"

Makes me chuckle to myself and then say, how can this work and be any good???

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is on tonite?

The two Dads on the show are like one long Soulstrut race thread.

"You are looking for racism everywhere"

"You see only what you want and you just want to debate every goddam thing!"

And poor White Rose who comes off as a Black girl adopted by an all-White family who have a Black stylist. Am I being racist by saying she is wayyyy cuter Black than White?

And White Bruno loves to say the N-word.

This should be good.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Watching this on re-run. The white people they found for it, the focus group, white people in general=disturbing. They're out there. as that guy.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    This is on tonite?

And poor White Rose who comes off as a Black girl adopted by an all-White family who have a Black stylist. Am I being racist by saying she is wayyyy cuter Black than White?

This should be good.

bruno was really pissing me off. rose definitely looks cuter black. i wonder if the son is going to come out of his shell at all. definitely good tv cause i'm hooked.

This is on tonite?

This should be good.

bruno was really pissing me off. rose definitely looks cuter black. i wonder if the son is going to come out of his shell at all. definitely good tv cause i'm hooked.

I am glad they picked families that are "normal", in that I mean that it's not a usual Fox TV-style "let's get a racist White family to pretend they are Black and a racist Black family to pretend they are White". In all, both families seem reasonable and at least consider themselves open-minded. I just think it's interesting that the "open mindedness" slides into their pre-conceived notions so easily on both sides. While Bruno is waiting for someone to walk up to him out of the blue and say "Hey n****r!", Brian seems to be waiting for Bruno to have an epiphany about what it is to be Black, which seems just as unlikely.

interesting article about the show:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-blackwhite4mar04,1,5987182.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    whenever I see the white father done up as a black/indian guy all I can think about is:

"Hey, he looks like steve carrell!"

Makes me chuckle to myself and then say, how can this work and be any good???

I actually thought it was better than I thought it would be.

1) The white girl looks better black, not because she's black, but because she doesn't wear any make-up. She'd look better white if she put some on.

2) The white dad really likes the "N" word doesn't he? It seems like he's just chewing at the bit for some white guy to call him that and then he can blow it off. Dude is living in a shell.

3) I predict that the white mom will start crying in later episodes.

4) The black son doesn't seem to care at all about anything.

I don't know how they came up with some of these situations they're putting the families through however. How the hell did they pick to sent the black son to ediquette (sp?) class??!?!?!

Overall, I think the black dad was right. The white family will probably learn more from the experience than the black family. Minorities have to adapt to white norms all the time. Whites take all that stuff for granted because they are the majority and just think it's "normal." Of course, I'm not sure that white dad will learn anything the way he's been acting so far.

I actually thought it was better than I thought it would be.

1) The white girl looks better black, not because she's black, but because she doesn't wear any make-up. She'd look better white if she put some on.

2) The white dad really likes the "N" word doesn't he? It seems like he's just chewing at the bit for some white guy to call him that and then he can blow it off. Dude is living in a shell.

3) I predict that the white mom will start crying in later episodes.

4) The black son doesn't seem to care at all about anything.

I don't know how they came up with some of these situations they're putting the families through however. How the hell did they pick to sent the black son to ediquette (sp?) class??!?!?!

Overall, I think the black dad was right. The white family will probably learn more from the experience than the black family. Minorities have to adapt to white norms all the time. Whites take all that stuff for granted because they are the majority and just think it's "normal." Of course, I'm not sure that white dad will learn anything the way he's been acting so far.

The ettiquette class was stupid.

Rose :"I don't think he's enjoying this at all."

You think?! Didn't look like ANYONE was enjoying it!

My favorite part had to be when Rose is in the poetry class, and as part of th introductions, they have to say who their favorite performer is.

Rose: "I just LOVE the Cranberries!"

Cut to facial expressions around the group looking like someone just farted. Hysterical!

I was going to post the EXACT same thought.

I don't know what's up with the black son however. I think he said 5 sentences the whole first episode.

Another situation I didn't buy was when the black dad went to the golf shoe store and was so impressed by the shoe guy putting his shoe on for him. I don't know. It looked like a pretty upscale place where they would just do that as part of their routine rather than because he was made up to be white.

I was going to post the EXACT same thought.

I don't know what's up with the black son however. I think he said 5 sentences the whole first episode.

Another situation I didn't buy was when the black dad went to the golf shoe store and was so impressed by the shoe guy putting his shoe on for him. I don't know. It looked like a pretty upscale place where they would just do that as part of their routine rather than because he was made up to be white.

When the cast was on Oprah (yes, my wife tapes it everyday), he conceded that he went back as a Black guy and was treated well, but that they did hand him his shoe, but it was a different guy,etc etc. Obviously a lot of this stuff is cut from first impressions, and that's how the producers like it. And it is certainly sculpted with the idea that conflict is a given.

I think the Black son is pretty typical of 16 year olds of all races.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    "Reality" shows are scripted. Don't fool yourself. Shit is meant to be entertaining.

"Reality" shows are scripted. Don't fool yourself. Shit is meant to be entertaining.

Oh I know, and at least this one is entertaining, IMO.
    see the article from the LA times I linked above.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    "Hey, he looks like Dave Chappell as the white newscaster!"

i have to agree...also a muppet.

what is this etiquette class biznass? i must have been on the phone during that part.

there's only been one episode, right?

Yeah, I think it was right after the white daughter went to the poetry class. They had to do something with the black son so they sent him to an etiquette class of all things. They talked about how to eat soup! On the way back, the girl told the boy that he had to talk more white to play his part, but he said he couldn't do it. I think he said he was only doing for the kicks or something like that.

Yeah, I think it was right after the white daughter went to the poetry class. They had to do something with the black son so they sent him to an etiquette class of all things. They talked about how to eat soup! On the way back, the girl told the boy that he had to talk more white to play his part, but he said he couldn't do it. I think he said he was only doing for the kicks or something like that.

He said he was just going to be himself, basically the same tactic Rose is applying.