is pro tools a necessity? Cubase? Cool Edit?

2»

Comments

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    Where as, if you go the Mbox way you still have to get a midi interface!

Just a tip to check out

word, I have a soundcard with the midi inputs

• You're gonna have a hard time mixing a fruity loops session at D&D Studios.

Friggin snobs

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    you're gonna have a hard time mixing a fruity loops session at D&D Studios.

SHIT!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    you're gonna have a hard time mixing a fruity loops session at D&D Studios.

SHIT!

I wonder what 9th Wonder would do?

Personally, I'd be kind of embarrased.

Personally I'd be kind of embarrased.

to what, try to have a fruity loops session mixed?

It's like walking into a bakery and ordering a creampuff.

FruityLoops gets a bad rap, just because its the program of choice for 12 year old beat makers...

FruityLoops gets a bad rap, just because its the program of choice for 12 year old beat makers...

it just sounds gay...........I mean fruity....

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Its a capable little program, you can make hot beats on it for sure. Ill take my mpc over it, but I wont front on fruityloops on principle.

You can also make really wack beats on an mpc.

plus, i think you could track fruityloops to protools just as easily as you could and mpc without the 8 outs expansion. Just one track at a time solo'd. Im sure you can midi that bitch up to work fine.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I doubt (well if you spend a LOT OF TIME) anyone can get a full sounding mix from the 001, 002 or MBOX.

Not True. A HD system is no different from a M-Box sound wise. As long as you have the same plugs and someone who KNOWS how to mix you will get the same sound. I'll bet that 99% of the folks on here (including myself) could'nt tell the difference between something that was mixed on a 002, an HD system or a SSL.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Actually just recently sat in on a couple of sessions brought from TDM houses to a Digi. Beyond the compatibility issues (too many tracks) due to faulty recording engineers the mixes sound great.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    can u get by with Cubase SX I? i want to start playing with stuff, how different is it from II and III?

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    Ok look... Ive heard alot of bullshit in this thread. 1st off...No software makes your shit sound any better than any other software, its merely and editing tool.
    What affects your sound is your hardware aka what audiocard you use. Protools systems come with nice cards therefore sound great....however you can only use their hardware. Other programs are nice because you can use any hardware cards you want...Also the best investments are good condenser mics and good pre-amps.

As far as compatability...all programs use Sound Desighner II files or Wav Files. Theese can be easily imported into any software,,, and as far as mastering all you need is a stereo mix on a CD. Buying cubase or cakewalk or any software you want won't hold you back.

Now if you want to work in a studio- learn Pro Tools. Its what 99 percent of pro studios use..and its made a name for itself. Its kinda like a Dell computer... you can buy better computers for cheaper but people wont reconize the name!

1st off...No software makes your shit sound any better than any other software, its merely and editing tool.
    What affects your sound is your hardware aka what audiocard you use.
    You put the nail in the coffin for me, my shit is fine the way it is-------I'd rather buy some more fuckin records

1st off...No software makes your shit sound any better than any other software, its merely and editing tool.
    What affects your sound is your hardware aka what audiocard you use.

You put the nail in the coffin for me, my shit is fine the way it is-------I'd rather buy some more fuckin records

Word, word. You know the saying. Shit in, shit out. Am I right?

For real though, ultimately it's about how it sounds in the end. Who cares what you use. It's all about finding an interface that works for you, with the ability to get the sound you're going for. It don't matter if it's an sp12, mpc, fuityloops, or a 303 dr. sample. As long as it gets you there, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

I wouldn't worry about mastering. If you have these kinds of questions then you shouldn't master your own stuff. Give it to somebody who knows what they're doing for that special sheen.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

it just sounds gay...........I mean fruity....

i use frutiy on my laptop computer when travelling and such. i'd seriously take fruity over an mpc anyday. fruity is alot more powerful and has alot more possibilities, but cause of this you also need to be more focused. real headz knowz the deal

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    A great beat is a great beat. How you make it is up to you. No 1 software is better.. it's a peronal preference. Look at Madlib... he prefers a SP303 and a 8 track! What makes his beats great are his methods to making the beat and his knowledge of records.

Now if anybody wants you beats to sound better invest in a decent Audio interface. This is what makes a difference in sound. Anyone using the sound card that came with your computer...stop!!! That will totally limit the sound quality of any samples or anything being recorded. Edirol makes a nice unit thats 2 inputs...dual XLR or 1/4 inch. Its called the UA-25 and it retails for like $250. This is a very impotant thing to have. You interface is actually taking your analog signal and converting it to digital. This step really determines your sound quality. The rest is mixing.
    Peace

Anyone using the sound card that came with your computer...stop!!!

Generally true, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that.

Anyone using the sound card that came with your computer...stop!!!

Generally true, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that.

here's what I do, sample from records into the Ensoniq EPS---go from EPS to aa small Beringer Eurorack mixing board-----mixing board into computer through the Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS soundcard(HD)---that cost me about $300 when I bought it----------from what I know, it's also about the quality of the cables (high quality RCA's) coming right from the turntables, out of the Vestax, and into the sampler, then, outta the sampler, and into the mixing board, then, outta that, and into the computer----where I sometimes track a beat track by track into Cool Edit-to get a better mix, Or, if I'm happy the way I got it straight out of the EPS, then I just record it as a 32 bit Wave and save to later get mastered when I'm done recording vocals. I just had a lot of people saying "you should get Pro Tools because yaddayaddayadda" and it didn't really make sense to me according to my way of thinking.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    is it true you can only run protools with the mbox?
    if i wanted to run additional programs along with protools, would i have to get a separate sound card as well?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    if i wanted to run additional programs along with protools, would i have to get a separate sound card as well?

No, you can run any audio sequencing software with a protools soundcard, you just can't run the Protools software without a protools soundcard.

Wyzeways... if you are really unsure what you want, get the m-box, try pro tools. If you aren't feeling it, look around online on some file sharing programs for a cracked version of Logic that you can try, if you like it, buy it, easy as that.

do you run Mac or PC? Logic is easier to find cracked for PC, there was never a proper cracked version after 4.8 for mac that I know of.

Someone mentioned that the M-Box sounds no different than Pro Tools HD, I would say that statement is a bit off. Hd has better converters and uses a different mix engine so you will be getting an overall different sound. Also the amount of DSP available to you with an MBox pales in comparison to the HD system which allows for the use of way more plug-ins.

If price is an issue (it usually is), you better pay the $400 for the Mbox as opposed to the $10,000 (or more with additional cards) for HD.

Wyzeways... if you are really unsure what you want, get the m-box, try pro tools. If you aren't feeling it, look around online on some file sharing programs for a cracked version of Logic that you can try, if you like it, buy it, easy as that.

do you run Mac or PC? Logic is easier to find cracked for PC, there was never a proper cracked version after 4.8 for mac that I know of.

yeah PC----I had a few others tell me I might like Logic as well....thanks