barca vs chelsea...it`s on

badder_than_evilbadder_than_evil 951 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
what are peoples predictions for this massive game today?? we`ve had all the sniping and accusations but who`s gonna come out on top? i still believe chelsea won`t be able to handle the kid messi and this might take their eyes off other important players..anyway -- ---- 2-2 is my prediction..

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Barca to win by two clear goals. Props to Mourinho for making himself the focus of all the pre-match talk and taking the pressure off his players, but if there's ever been a manager as utterly graceless in victory as he is (and it's spreading to his players as well), I don't remember his name. I won't be forgoing "The Wire" to watch the game live tonight - Liverpool/Benfica tomorrow is the one for me - but if Barca knock Chelsea off every wall in the Nou Camp, I won't mind at all.

• Barca to win by two clear goals. Props to Mourinho for making himself the focus of all the pre-match talk and taking the pressure off his players, but if there's ever been a manager as utterly graceless in victory as he is (and it's spreading to his players as well), I don't remember his name. I won't be forgoing "The Wire" to watch the game live tonight - Liverpool/Benfica tomorrow is the one for me - but if Barca knock Chelsea off every wall in the Nou Camp, I won't mind at all.

i`d be tivoing the wire to watch the barca game.

if chelsea go out,i`ll be happy.i`ll be supporting the english teams left.

liverpool to win 3-1 and go through..who knows what will happen with arse.they may regret not taking their chances against real in the first leg.i think most teams would have slaughtered real the amount of times their defence gave the ball away..

the champions league is

and the world cup is 3 months away already...

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    Barca to win by two clear goals

hopefully no major on field drama with red cards etc. so that whinging bitch Mourinho has no excuse for getting his ass handed back to him.....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Plz for Liverpool to win...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    it started!

Did anyone catch Rijkaard pre-game pressconference?
    Classy and smart move from him in praising Mourinho.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Arsenal team didn't have one english man on it when they played Real Madrid,why do people hate's Chelsea's money so much its
    I just noticed that Chelsea needs a good free taker,they're lacking in that department.

Go Chelsea Go Chelsea Go 's

• i`m fucking livid.

espn showed the first game thne somehow decide to show the second??

nah, they`d rather show some old college b-ball they can show anytime or fucking venezuela vs dominican republic baseball..

i can`t get through to their complaints line either..

too fucking right...

• if chelsea go out,i`ll be happy.i`ll be supporting the english teams left.

Arsenal team didn't have one english man on it when they played Real Madrid,why do people hate's Chelsea's money so much its
    I just noticed that Chelsea needs a good free taker,they're lacking in that department.

because chelsea spent over 200 million pounds in 18 mths to get where they are.

plus their manager is a cunt.

plus their manager is a Champions League winning coach

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i`m fucking livid.

espn showed the first game thne somehow decide to show the second??

too fucking right...

un f-ing believable
    i hat on all of abc/espn family of channels

It's been a boring match so far,the score's still nil all.Your not missing anything.

Ronaldinho just scored,i'm turning off the tv now

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Ronaldinho just scored,i'm turning off the tv now

sorry, but YES !!!

now if arsenal can win (another watch they won't be showing)

abc/espn suck big time !

• if chelsea go out,i`ll be happy.i`ll be supporting the english teams left.

plus their manager is a FORMER Champions League winning coach

plus their manager is a Champions League winning coach

Spot the current Champions League winning coach in this picture.

Better luck next season, Jose.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Well that match was a definite damp squid after all the hype. Good to see the argument over whether Drogba is a world class striker settled once and for all.

Not to put a downer on the whole thing but wonder what odds I could have got before these ties on all four british teams going out in this round.

Not to put a downer on the whole thing but wonder what odds I could have got before these ties on all four british teams going out in this round.

Given who each team drew, I don't think the odds would have been all that great, to be honest. Despite their inconsistency in the Premiership this season, I can see Arsenal going through, especially if they manage to get an early goal. Liverpool I'm not so certain about. If our strikers hadn't been so profligate this season, I'd be much more confident. I think we can definitely stop Benfica from scoring at Anfield, but if Crouch, Morientes & Cisse continue to squander opportunities, then it isn't going to matter how well we defend. We can score from elsewhere on the field (Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Hamann, Riise, even Kewell), but, whoever Rafa puts up front tonight, we need a big game from them. Could it be Fowler's night..?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Given who each team drew, I don't think the odds would have been all that great, to be honest. Despite their inconsistency in the Premiership this season, I can see Arsenal going through, especially if they manage to get an early goal. Liverpool I'm not so certain about. If our strikers hadn't been so profligate this season, I'd be much more confident. I think we can definitely stop Benfica from scoring at Anfield, but if Crouch, Morientes & Cisse continue to squander opportunities, then it isn't going to matter how well we defend. We can score from elsewhere on the field (Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Hamann, Riise, even Kewell), but, whoever Rafa puts up front tonight, we need a big game from them. Could it be Fowler's night..?

Yeah not to state the obvious or anything but I think Arsenal's chances rest on whether or not Real get an early goal or not. If Madrid are forced to push forward I see no reason why Arsenal can't exploit them at the back again (though they must surely be more tactically organised this time round).

As far as Liverpool go, as you say I don't think Benfica offer much threat to a defence as solid as the pool's back four this season - it just all depends on whether Liverpool can sort out their strike rate (not scored 2 goals in a game since boxing day!). I'm looking for a big match from Gerrard, Garcia or Kewell to put them through. Either that or a Fowler hat trick..................

• ithink it`ll all come good for liverpool tonight..they were up against a keeper in his one great game of the season on saturday.

if arsenal play their usual home game they have a lot of possession - real may have a new president but they have the same coach and same team out on the pitch..

i noticed the game was on at 945pm last night when it was too late and i`d been tracking the scores online..fuck espn - i still can`t see why the other shit would be more important.i couldn`t get through to the complaints line so i`d imagine they were pretty busy with people complaining.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

I don't like Chelsea but I have to give fat Frank Lampard props here, he's a great free kick taker......

.....anyway lets focus on the big one tonight, the champions have their crown to defend...

come on Liverpool

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    YES...

LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What time is this game on anyways? I wonder if I'll be able to find a watchable link online if I'm still on the job.

• I can see Arsenal going through, especially if they manage to get an early goal. Liverpool I'm not so certain about. If our strikers hadn't been so profligate this season, I'd be much more confident.

I'm pretty sure that Arsenal will go through to the next round, and I'm pretty sure that Liverpool will manage to score two goals on Benfica. It's Anfield tonight and Benfica is just to weak in my opinion!

What I loved about the game last night was that Deco (Who's actually alot better then many seems to think) ERASED Lampard from the game. I thought that Barcelonas midfield would be to weak after Xavi got injured but Motta, Edmilson and Deco looks really strong at the moment. And Oleguer did a good match last night. I've always considered him to be an average player..

DOR: I think the match starts at 19.45 (english time)

Spot the current former Champions League winning coaches in this picture.

Better luck next season.

= 2

= 0

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

LYON vs PSV EINDHOVEN = 4-0

• i noticed the game was on at 945pm last night when it was too late and i`d been tracking the scores online..fuck espn - i still can`t see why the other shit would be more important.i couldn`t get through to the complaints line so i`d imagine they were pretty busy with people complaining.

i believe its because of the world baseball classic. and you should be aware that 99 percent of americans dont give a shit about soccer. you should be happy theyre showing it at all.

i`m aware that americans can`t accept soccer.The tv networks are a big reason why..

When the world cup was here in 94 the tv companies wanted football changed into 4 quarters so that they could get more advertising in.FIFA said no - so the american tv networks don`t really want to touch football.It`s a shame because if America was more involved with football it would only enhance the most popular sport in the world..

I`m sure if you watched a whole series in the nba play-offs and the tv networks decided to show game 7, 8 hours after it finished you`d be pretty pissed off too??
    That`s the equivalent of what happened with this round of champions league games.

I have plenty of friends here who are sports fanatics and not one of them has mentioned 'the world baseball classic' going on this week or at any other time in the past.

i just hope they don`t do this in the future.

• Americans and football?

• Americans and football?

explain..

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Americans and soccer?

word..