This country is bugging out over 36 mafia...!

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
People talking about it in the office, the morning radio was blowing up....Shit is crazy. I haven't heard talk like this since Ice-T's cop killer... or maybe 2 Live Crew.Being that I monitor soulstrut, there isn't anything shocking about 36 mafia, but for everybody else seeing or hearing this for the first time... they are in shock! It was kind of funny listening to the radio this morning because it reminded me of that Public Enemy joint on FOABP with the different callers expressing outrage at PE.I'm kinda like "Eh, whatever" about the whole thing. Sending bad messages to kids? Eh, whatever. Setting the progress of black people back 100 years? Eh, whatever. Too many cuss words in the song? Sigh, whatever. Objectification of women? Sure, whatever.Its like... I just don't care. And the fact that grown ups are shitting their pants over these guys just raised their coolness factor by 99% in the eyes of kids. Shit... I remember being that age. The more adults hated it, the cooler it was.I think the reason I dont care is because it's the Oscars. I've never cared about the oscar's. I didn't even know that shit was on until the next day when people were asking if I watched it. So all this buzz about what 36 mafia did at the oscars and blah blah blah, I'm just thinking, who gives a shit? Who watches the fucking oscars????People's reaction to it is wayyyyy more entertaining. Some old jazz musician said it was "Birth of a Nation with a backbeat" and called them Uncle Toms. I wish I could remember who said that. Its on the tip of my tongue....Its like people forgot about all that Satanic rock shit in the early 80s that people swore was going to be the death of our American culture and youth. Hidden messages and suicide and all that. Now it all looks so corny and cheesy. I'm sure in 20 years this will all look the same way.Anyways.... just babbling. I've never even heard the song, apart from clips from the performance. If this shit was really gonna turn our daughters into prostitutes and sluts, does that mean that Maddonna failed to do it 20 years ago when she was the one that was going to turn our daughters into prostitutes and sluts?You know you are old when the music that the kids listen to feels like a threat. I guess I'm not too old yet. whew.

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    obviously you haven't watched Crash

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    People talking about it in the office, the morning radio was blowing up....

Shit is crazy. I haven't heard talk like this since Ice-T's cop killer... or maybe 2 Live Crew.

Being that I monitor soulstrut, there isn't anything shocking about 36 mafia, but for everybody else seeing or hearing this for the first time... they are in shock! It was kind of funny listening to the radio this morning because it reminded me of that Public Enemy joint on FOABP with the different callers expressing outrage at PE.

I'm kinda like "Eh, whatever" about the whole thing. Sending bad messages to kids? Eh, whatever. Setting the progress of black people back 100 years? Eh, whatever. Too many cuss words in the song? Sigh, whatever. Objectification of women? Sure, whatever.

Its like... I just don't care. And the fact that grown ups are shitting their pants over these guys just raised their coolness factor by 99% in the eyes of kids. Shit... I remember being that age. The more adults hated it, the cooler it was.

I think the reason I dont care is because it's the Oscars. I've never cared about the oscar's. I didn't even know that shit was on until the next day when people were asking if I watched it. So all this buzz about what 36 mafia did at the oscars and blah blah blah, I'm just thinking, who gives a shit? Who watches the fucking oscars????

People's reaction to it is wayyyyy more entertaining. Some old jazz musician said it was "Birth of a Nation with a backbeat" and called them Uncle Toms. I wish I could remember who said that. Its on the tip of my tongue....

Its like people forgot about all that Satanic rock shit in the early 80s that people swore was going to be the death of our American culture and youth. Hidden messages and suicide and all that. Now it all looks so corny and cheesy. I'm sure in 20 years this will all look the same way.

Anyways.... just babbling. I've never even heard the song, apart from clips from the performance. If this shit was really gonna turn our daughters into prostitutes and sluts, does that mean that Maddonna failed to do it 20 years ago when she was the one that was going to turn our daughters into prostitutes and sluts?

You know you are old when the music that the kids listen to feels like a threat. I guess I'm not too old yet. whew.

Wait until people put two and two together and figure out what the "Three 6" is a reference to.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The weird thing is, I thought people knew what gangsta rap was all about by now. Seems like Eminem is a media darling nowadays too - wasn't HE supposed do ruin the kids' minds? When Three 6 Mafia rap about doin' coke on tour, I can't help thinking of M??tley Cr??e, and I don't think DJ Paul and Juicy J are on their level yet. But you have to remember - they're from a state where people love to hate, especially on the triple six.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i didnt think anyone was still awake by that point in the show.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Wait until people put two and two together and figure out what the "Three 6" is a reference to.

who do you think helped them win an oscar?

• i was in Memphis recently for a conference of academic music-types. This older white lady is giving the welcoming address and talking up the great history of music in Memphis. she finishes up by saying 'and as if that's not enough, we are very proud of our own 3-6-mafia, [something something about] crunk music...'
    it was surreal, i was cracking up about this academic-music-bluehair lady saying the word crunk to a ballroom full of 'art-music' scholars...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    who do you think helped them win an oscar?

So they DID sell their souls...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    when i was watching walk the line i couldnt help thinking about how much the music was straight up rap

one beat / groove that repeats ad nauseum.. lyrics about shooting, cocaine, hard knock life

hell some of those songs made laffy taffy sound like Genesis

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

The real question remains:

When will you ever hear the words Select-O-Hits on prime-time TV again?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Getting indignant at Three 6 for objectification of women, negative representation of Blacks and too much swearing at the Oscars is like getting pissy about a fist fight at the snack bar at a hockey game.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I monitor soulstrut

Is that what it's called? "Monitoring"?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

This girl I work next to was talking about their "grillz" and how it was the first time she had ever seen one, and she was in shock. Well anyways, she is SUPER christian and kind of meek and non-wordly... I didn't have the heart to explain that it wasn't 'thirty-six mafia'. She would have had a heart attack.

Listening to the radio this morning was like being on soulstrut. A bunch a white folks talking about how this sets black people back and what would MLK think and stuff. And then a few random black callers here and there. And then the white guy that compared it to the beatles and elvis and didn't see what the big deal was.

I gotta say, conservative talk radio is wayyyyy more entertaining than liberal talk radio.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    you should have heard the middle aged black dudes i was recording last night talk about it.

THEY HATE RAP. it was crazy. they were totally in shock, and disgusted. then they got Tony Silvester on the phone, and that dude was livid. i didnt even realize who he was until after he got off the phone, but while he was talking on speakerphone, dude pretty much shat on all that is rap. it was pretty funny.

needless to say i kept my mouth shut and kept smiling. i didnt want them losing faith in their engineer before we even got started!

• This girl I work next to was talking about their "grillz" and how it was the first time she had ever seen one, and she was in shock.

first time she had ever seen one? are u fucking kidding?? thats fucking stupid..she think this is some new thing or something? I mean shit, now and days go to any middle school or high school and see how many grills you see on boys and girls. White,black,hispanic..whatever. That shit is about the same as a guy getting his ear pierced when he was young back in the 80's(pissing off your pops)

my problem with grills is if u gonna wear a grill..dress right. either thugged out shit or dress good/sharp. I see white boys with grills wearing fucking abercrombie and hollister...what the fuck?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Man... what is the effin' big deal about Three Six mafia's performance? Y'all who know me know I ain't the biggest fan of that style of rap, but I thought that schitt was GREAT. Especially Daily Show dude's little quips after they accepted the award. The schitt was fun, man. Dag, people act like spaceships just landed and rappers came out for the first time ever on Earth. Taraj P. was lookin' pretty bangin' too... I ain't even know she sung that hook. A whole lotta witches talkin'

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    People talking about it in the office, the morning radio was blowing up....

Shit is crazy. I haven't heard talk like this since Ice-T's cop killer... or maybe 2 Live Crew.

Being that I monitor soulstrut, there isn't anything shocking about 36 mafia, but for everybody else seeing or hearing this for the first time... they are in shock! It was kind of funny listening to the radio this morning because it reminded me of that Public Enemy joint on FOABP with the different callers expressing outrage at PE.

I'm kinda like "Eh, whatever" about the whole thing. Sending bad messages to kids? Eh, whatever. Setting the progress of black people back 100 years? Eh, whatever. Too many cuss words in the song? Sigh, whatever. Objectification of women? Sure, whatever.

Its like... I just don't care. And the fact that grown ups are shitting their pants over these guys just raised their coolness factor by 99% in the eyes of kids. Shit... I remember being that age. The more adults hated it, the cooler it was.

I think the reason I dont care is because it's the Oscars. I've never cared about the oscar's. I didn't even know that shit was on until the next day when people were asking if I watched it. So all this buzz about what 36 mafia did at the oscars and blah blah blah, I'm just thinking, who gives a shit? Who watches the fucking oscars????

People's reaction to it is wayyyyy more entertaining. Some old jazz musician said it was "Birth of a Nation with a backbeat" and called them Uncle Toms. I wish I could remember who said that. Its on the tip of my tongue....

Its like people forgot about all that Satanic rock shit in the early 80s that people swore was going to be the death of our American culture and youth. Hidden messages and suicide and all that. Now it all looks so corny and cheesy. I'm sure in 20 years this will all look the same way.

Anyways.... just babbling. I've never even heard the song, apart from clips from the performance. If this shit was really gonna turn our daughters into prostitutes and sluts, does that mean that Maddonna failed to do it 20 years ago when she was the one that was going to turn our daughters into prostitutes and sluts?

You know you are old when the music that the kids listen to feels like a threat. I guess I'm not too old yet. whew.
    What they do at the Oscars?

They performed Its Hard Out Here for a Pimp. And thats it. Like I said, I didn't see it because I could care less about the Oscars, and really I don't have any vested interest in threesix mafia either way. Its the fallout from it that is entertaining. A lot of the folks bugging out about pimps and drugs in modern music need to be slapped with a copy of Superfly across the face.

And as far as exposore to grills.... uh... I don't really hang out around highschools, and I'm pretty sure my coworker doesn't either....

They performed Its Hard Out Here for a Pimp. And thats it. Like I said, I didn't see it because I could care less about the Oscars, and really I don't have any vested interest in threesix mafia either way. Its the fallout from it that is entertaining. A lot of the folks bugging out about pimps and drugs in modern music need to be slapped with a copy of Superfly across the face.

And as far as exposore to grills.... uh... I don't really hang out around highschools, and I'm pretty sure my coworker doesn't either....

So basically there's a bunch of folks bitching because of a song these dudes performed? Please. There's way more shit in the world that demands our attention.

You need to bring your co-workers some sammiches!

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    People who watch the oscar should understand the difference between a documentary and fiction

So basically there's a bunch of folks bitching because of a song these dudes performed? Please. There's way more shit in the world that demands our attention.

Well, my coworker was just fascinated by the teeth. It was the people on the radio that were bugging out. It was the most entertaining ride to work I've had in a while.

One of the ladies said this was not like Elvis or the Beatles because they were never on the Oscars. Huh? Did either the beatles or Elvis ever even win an Oscar? Is Viva Las Vegas a better song than Its Hard Out Here For A Pimp?

It of course depends on the situation. While driving to and from vegas, Viva is the obvious choice. In fact most Elvis is the obvious choice.

When driving to the swap to get 3 for 10 dollar AAA t-shirts and dickies, Pimp is the obvious choice. Although I tend to prefer Too Short. Especially when the weather gets warm.

And when drinking, neither of these will do. Perez Prado is THE ONLY way to begin a night of inebriation. And no fake-ass Pupi Prado shit either. Pupi. come on now. Pupi. Its hard out here for a Pupi. A hard days night. The beatles. The Oscars. Oscar the grouch. Groucho Marx. Marxists. Dead Prez. Perez 'The Prez' Prado. Full circle.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Odd choice of wording to be sure, but the article is decidely pro-Mafia:

"In one of the most exciting performances for a best song, usually characterized by bland performances of even blander songs, the Memphis rap group gave a rousing rendition of their song from "Hustle & Flow," then took the Oscar home to boot."

This made me laugh.

When driving to the swap to get 3 for 10 dollar AAA t-shirts and dickies, Pimp is the obvious choice.

This made me laugh.

When driving to the swap to get 3 for 10 dollar AAA t-shirts and dickies, Pimp is the obvious choice.

I see AAA shirts are not just a local SD hood experience! They do make some damn fine t-shirts though, and they fit just right! Only sold by Korean vendors that hate their customers, of course!

This made me laugh.

I see AAA shirts are not just a local SD hood experience! They do make some damn fine t-shirts though, and they fit just right! Only sold by Korean vendors that hate their customers, of course!
    haha!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Its hard out here for a Pupi.

• getting pissy about a fist fight at the snack bar at a hockey game.

hi,

i am joe schmoe from middle america. today i went to work only to be confronted by my white co-workers bombarding me phrases like "hey joe!!! it's hard out there for a pimp huh?" and asking me "hey joe, whats the difference between a kilo and a yayo?", "hey joe, slap that trick, slap that trick, slap that trick!!!" "hey joe, where my niggas at?" now i don't even know what they are talking about, i assume the a referring to some rap lyrics but i have no idea... but i think it is funny that they would think that i would be able to relate to what they are saying on the basis of my skin color, don't you?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I'm gonna bitch right now because although I certainly like Three-6 that particular song sucks donkey balls.

• Well, my coworker was just fascinated by the teeth.