DAKAR IS LYING: PROOF INSIDE

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
The following is a Dakar's weekend "finds" pic from a couple of weeks ago:Please take a look at the framed record. This record is part of an argentinian series of reissues from the 80. The collection is called "Coleccion Numerada" which means "Numbered Collection". This particular record is no other than Jorge Lopez Ruiz "Un hombre de Buenos Aires", and is number 1 in the collection. Believe you me, I know these records.This next pic comes from this weekend Dakar's "finds":Yes, that's right, number 2 in the same collection! Same price sticker! My theory: these 2 records have been bought in the same place and at the same time, and now are presented to us as ramdom weekend "finds". I probably should have waited til record number , but I couldn't take this anymore. Lying about records is a high crime, and in my opinion, should be severely punished. Thanks, I have nothing else to say.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    You want answers?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    You've been a little on the salty side lately, JLR.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

funny, i watched this last night

• damn, exposay styleee!
    on the other hand, it seems perfectly logical to think 'ok, lemme try one of these records from this Argentinian series' *takes it home and listens* 'oh shnap this is pretty good, lemme go back and pick up the next one...'

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    damn, exposay styleee!
    on the other hand, it seems perfectly logical to think 'ok, lemme try one of these records from this Argentinian series' *takes it home and listens* 'oh shnap this is pretty good, lemme go back and pick up the next one...'

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    JLR private eye

you've been on this case for awhile...will you discover the truth...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i'm definitely not lying. i found that record from the same dollar bin dude at two different record fairs. you're a sluthe, and i would have to do double takes myself, but it's really as simple as that.
    believe me, i'm not

• Options
    We've heard you been sniffin' around town

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    JLo, this post takes weekend finds jealousy to an extreme. I believe he found them.
    Dunk your head in a bucket of ice water buddy.

i found that record from a dollar bin at a record fair over the weekend in wilkes-barre, pa. same dude sets up at different spots (other one was in jersey)

i'm a bargain bin raider!

stop the hatin'!

urgh!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this thread is funny and a little sad. more diggin' less hattin'

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Is this really that amazing or unlikely???

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Beware strutters, my search for THE TRUTH will continue. You are either with me or you are on the dark side.

FAKE WEEKEND FINDS POSTS

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    what's fake about the post? have you never found new records in dollar bins? happens all the time. dakar is hitting the finest jersey bins every weekend...nowhere in nyc sells good records for 10 cents!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    My favourite thread of the day.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Can't imagine why anyone would lie about record finds.....

Here's a somewhat related story...

Many years ago a well known 45 dealer who moved to Texas from Michigan couldn't believe the records that I would find hitting Garage Sales in the Dallas area. He begged me to take him out with me one morning so he could see for himself.

I used to map out the sales and would usually hit 20-30 sales by mid-afternnon. The day I took him with me we scored on the first stop...a small pile of 10-12 local Garage 45's, but some absolute killers...Kempy & The Guardians...Kenny & The Kasuals...etc.

Around noon we hit a sale and asked the woman running the sale if she had any records. She hesitantly said yes, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to sell them. I convinced her to let us look at them with the understanding that if there were any she wanted to keep we would respect that and just buy the ones she was willing to sell.

She had some pretty cool 45's...Sun label, Meteor, some locals......but there were a few she didn't want to sell....said they had sentimental value to her and she wanted to keep them.

We pick out about 40 45's, pay her, say thank you and leave.

When we get out to my car sleazy 45 dealer guy crouches down behind my car, reaches into the front of his pants, and pulls out one of the 45's the woman wanted to keep......and to top it off....the fuckin' record is broken in half as a result of this guy sticking in his tight ass pants!!!!

In disbelief I tell the guy how fucked up he is, drive him straight to his car and tell him that's the end of us digging together.......

Over the next few years the stories about this guy stealing and ripping people off got to be so bad that he had to move out of the state.....he actually brought a gun to the Austin Show after he was threatened by more than one person.

He died a few years ago.....one less scumbag in the Record Game.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

When we get out to my car sleazy 45 dealer guy crouches down behind my car, reaches into the front of his pants, and pulls out one of the 45's the woman wanted to keep......and to top it off....the fuckin' record is broken in half as a result of this guy sticking in his tight ass pants!!!!

In disbelief I tell the guy how fucked up he is, drive him straight to his car and tell him that's the end of us digging together.......

Over the next few years the stories about this guy stealing and ripping people off got to be so bad that he had to move out of the state.....he actually brought a gun to the Austin Show after he was threatened by more than one person.

He died a few years ago.....one less scumbag in the Record Game.

Good ridance
    christ what an asshole freak...

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The question burning in my mind, Mr. Ruiz...

Why do you give a fuck?

to be honest, some of the stuff i find is during the weekdays as well. i just don't feel up for posting so many records in the mid-week and would rather do it all at once.
    and yes, if you hit up enough places and put in some time you end up with some goods--for cheap and at times cheaper than you thought the people would be.
    i've had similar experiences with people in the field that rockadelic stated as far as meeting people who don't want to get rid of thier records.
    i always, always respect that. damn, if you knew of all the stuff i've seen and never got because the owners wanted to keep it.
    i've even told people with some outstanding collections to donate thier collection to one of the local university libraries that maintains an incredible jazz collection (one that has educated me as well).

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Why do you give a fuck?

Because I can't change the record game, but I can change the record game in me. And because I made myself the promise to never stop fighting crime in the record game.
    And because....shut up and let me have some fun, OK?

I went to a yard sale once that did not list records. But the guy had a nice old Sansui amp. I asked dude if he had any records and he said yes, but he was still debating whether to sell them. His wife was there and suggested that he sell them. She said "you've been moving those around in the basement for 10 years. Come on!" I pulled the old...they will get ruined in the basement routine and asked if I could look at them. He let me dig through them and halfway into the first box, I knew I was into something. It was all jazz, psych and prog. One fucking crazy title after the other. He hovered over me while I looked and we shot the shit about music. I think he could appreciate my enthusiasm.

But he wouldn't sell them to me! I pleaded and he agreed to let me "borrow them." He said, "You can hold them for a month and if I don't miss them you can pay me for them." He made me leave a $100 deposit. I was thinking this is so fucking wierd. But I was in "the zone" and focused only on leaving with the records.

I took the boxes home and started listening. Shit was blowing my mind.

He called a month later and said he wanted them back. I returned every single one of them. It fucking broke my heart. We're talking about shit I will probably never ever find again and the doubles could have yielded thousands of $$$.

I believe in Karma.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I went to a yard sale once that did not list records. But the guy had a nice old Sansui amp. I asked dude if he had any records and he said yes, but he was still debating whether to sell them. His wife was there and suggested that he sell them. She said "you've been moving those around in the basement for 10 years. Come on!" I pulled the old...they will get ruined in the basement routine and asked if I could look at them. He let me dig through them and halfway into the first box, I knew I was into something. It was all jazz, psych and prog. One fucking crazy title after the other. He hovered over me while I looked and we shot the shit about music. I think he could appreciate my enthusiasm.

But he wouldn't sell them to me! I pleaded and he agreed to let me "borrow them." He said, "You can hold them for a month and if I don't miss them you can pay me for them." He made me leave a $100 deposit. I was thinking this is so fucking wierd. But I was in "the zone" and focused only on leaving with the records.

He called a month later and said he wanted them back. I returned every single one of them. It fucking broke my heart. We're talking about shit I will probably never ever find again and the doubles could have yielded thousands of $$$.

I believe in Karma.

You are a good man. Lesser men would dodged his calls for months before saying something like, "Take me to court, motherfucker. I paid for those records."

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Dang! Are you at work right now? You need to find yourself a more challenging job! Resign now or you're soft!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    haha wow man that's rough...what a tease! I wonder if deep down a part of him hoped you didn't get back with him? Anyway you did the right thing. That guy's a giant ass though.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I believe in Karma.

You are a good man. Lesser men would dodged his calls for months before saying something like, "Take me to court, motherfucker. I paid for those records."

And $100 more says those records are sitting in the same place they were before and still haven't been listened to.

You need to find yourself a more challenging job!

I'm not following you?

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Anyway you did the right thing. That guy's a giant record cock tease.

Actually there's more.

He told me to hang onto his number and call him in a year. I've got about 4 months to go...