rawest of the raw free jazz (post pics here)

2»

Comments

• Can somebody give me a price on each one and which ones have samples, beats, and/or breaks.
    this album has a sick break on it(im not kidding either!)

HOT!

more please.

actually, just send me the mp3. I don't want the actual record, I just need the break.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    sam rivers-crystals has a break too. also on impulse. but fuck that shit, the music on both of those records is facemelting

• sam rivers-crystals has a break too. also on impulse. but fuck that shit, the music on both of those records is facemelting

facemelting= hot fire for beatz, right?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

You Wastin My Time

sam rivers-crystals has a break too. also on impulse. but fuck that shit, the music on both of those records is facemelting

facemelting= hot fire for beatz, right?
    nope

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
     Did I mention that free jazz is lame.

Welcome to Thurston Moore's house. Did I mention that free jazz is lame.

I wondered how long that would take.

• Welcome to Thurston Moore's house. Did I mention that free jazz is lame.

I wondered how long that would take.

Ha ha. Sorry to say but I think I'm in Doc Wu's tent. I used to listen to a bit of free jazz but basically never need to hear it again. There has to be some kind of rhythm for me to fuck with it. I can listen to shit like the Pyramids, for instance. Anyway, just how I feel, I'm not trying to pick a fight.

your mind doesnt have the capacity to handle free jazz

• your mind doesnt have the capacity to handle free jazz

Yes, I prefer it that way.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    RECOGNIZE THE REALNESS!!!

Like I have time to actually listen to these fucking records? Carry the wacky talk outta here.

Don't bother. Once you go FREE, everything has beats. I was headnodding to my dishwasher last night.

Don't bother. Once you go FREE, everything has beats. I was headnodding to my dishwasher last night.
    that's what i'm talking about

albert ayler for days, batches.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    You seem to be missing the best Cecil Taylor records.
    Notably the Unit Cores and the Shandars.
    Can one actually handle that much improv piano?

I'm not giving you grief, but I feel that Taylor, like Lacy and Shepp, is an artist that has been vastly over-recorded.
    But to each his own, I just prefer horn over ivory.

Man, that was one of those lines that had me laughing out loud and my girl rolling her eyes at me. "please don't tell me what you're laughing at."

I left free jazz a few years back. i don't miss it. i'm glad it exists, but I never need it again.

You seem to be missing the best Cecil Taylor records.
    Notably the Unit Cores and the Shandars.
    Can one actually handle that much improv piano?

I'm not giving you grief, but I feel that Taylor, like Lacy and Shepp, is an artist that has been vastly over-recorded.
    But to each his own, I just prefer horn over ivory.

I know I know. I have the Shandars on some dumb looking Italo 80s reissue and the Unit Cores in blank white sleve (Taylor kept putting them out even when he ran out of covers). I was trying to avoid a sonning by JorgeLopez.

can i sample your dishwasher?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

can i sample your dishwasher?

It won't be hiphop unless the washer is OG.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Jeremole', Sam Rivers has a similar LP on Horo (trio w/tuba) that you might like. I had it but traded it...

Fatback, I think the Prestige 3LP set that you have is the same Cecil material as the Shandar LPs.

:

Fatback, I think the Prestige 3LP set that you have is the same Cecil material as the Shandar LPs.

Oh OK. Was that Cafe Montramarte stuff that came out on the Nefertiti Arista Freedom also on Shandar? All I remember readin lest night in the liner notes is Taylor slamming Bill Evans/Scott LaFaro for sucking and using fancy mic placement to make them sound better.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    whoa. how'd i miss this?

i will cosign on all the fmp records being awesome even though there is no way i have listened to all of them.

i also like a handful of the moers joints, all the free delmark joints, what el saturns i have heard, phillyjazz and a handful of blacksaint/black note records. like that taylor/roach concert. man that thing is neato.

with that said, cecil taylor's recorded output is garbage. i think there's 1 record by him that i actually like and its because archie shepp is on it. its an early one too with some semblance of tempo so maybe thats why. with that said, cecil taylor puts on one of the most incredible live shows i have ever seen in my life.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i think there's 1 record by him that i actually like and its because archie shepp is on it.

if you can't dig Conquistador or Nefertiti, I don't know what to tell you.

anyway on a slightly related to Cecil note, Raphe Malik died today. He was only 59.

RIP.

that deserves it's own thread

Peace Raphe!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Ted Daniel is a bad ass mo fo...

The gille melle in lower-right isn't really free jazz persay, I just dig it a lot. (y'all might know him from doing the soundtrack for "andromeda strain") Dante will jump on in a sec and call me a pussy but that's cool.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    All the philly jazz LPs are worthwhile IMO... yeah... cecil's recordings don't really hold up to the live show, but I think that might have much to do with people's perceptions of recordings versus being immersed in a musical space at a club.