Basketball Cards 1989-1992

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
So I just got this package from moms across the country with some of my old shit in it. i haven't seen any of this stuff in at least 10 years. included were the more valuable (at the time) pieces from my basketball card collection from when i was a wee lad. It's fun to go through this shit and remember what i was into 15 or so years ago. My real reason for posting, though, is to find out who knows about this sports card game nowadays. Is any of this shit still valuable at all? If so, where? Not eBay. I have a lot of Upper Deck basketball from the first 2 years they made them. Got some other shits too. What's the value of this kinda shit nowadays? I don't even necessarily want to sell them, I'm still digging the stats and shit, but it would be nice to know. Holla if you know about it.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    honestly, i don't think they're worth much. I used to collect a little bit too back in the day, and those days you were ecstatic to get a hold of a $100 card.
    Now-a-days, the market seems to be driven by dealers, condition, and jersey/autograph cards. I mean you know things have changed when a pack contains 3 cards. definitely not for kids anymore.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    any skybox?

• when i was collecting cards (mainly hockey but some baseball) beckett was the price guide to go to. you could get them at any trading card type place. i actually started collecting the price guides too. i think even some of those became semi-valuable for a while.

its basically like records, if you put in the work you will probably be able to split out what is worth something, especially if it is in good condition. a few of those upper deck cards could be worth something, though card collecting was pretty big by then already. if you don't put in the work, it would be like someone who just cleaned out their kids closet and decided to put everything on ebay, you could make some money, but you won't know if you got what it is worth.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    any skybox?

I have a million copies of the gold-bordered Thunder Dans.

Skybox. da-mn, i remember kids were sweating the Glen Rice rookie card. And the Jordan, Nique, and Kemp cards too.

I doubt they'll be large price fluctuations for 90s cards though. Maybe in 50 years, when kids will be talking about Jordan and Shaq like kids talk about Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson now, they might be worth a little more.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i just found this card last week, so molded out in my basement, that the shits came apart like a graham cracker.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    any skybox?

a '92 LJ #1 pick, autographed '92 muggsy bogues, '93 shaq, and '90 pat ewing.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    89 and beyond are basically not worth the paper it's printed on. They mass produced cards during those years because the popularity of collecting was huge around that time. Seriously, those skybox cards are best used to line your hamster cage (ayo!).

Now, anything on Fleer from 89 and before is worth loot, and if you want to get real serious, the true money is in Star, which produced the true Jordan rookie.

oh and magic, that sosa card is worth $, that whole leaf set is.

• what a boring flick!

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    any skybox?

hell nah!

skybox had a pretty decent design...they made Tellis Frank look important...haha.

in fact my old friend's brother was obsessed with skybox and cards in general. so much so that he used to "grip" the skybox cards constantly to the point that the sides of the card would turn white.

i used to like the 86 (i believe) fleer basketball joints with the gray and white clear and bold design. have the jordan from that year.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    If so, where? Not eBay.

Why not eBay? The thing with cards today is you have to send them to a third party to grade them. There are a couple companies operating now, such as PSA, that are the established among the collecting community. But if your cards don't look mint to your own eyes, including how well it's centered, then they won't get graded very favorably.

I sold off a bunch of baseball raers via eBay a couple years ago, mad 1955s including Ted Williams, the Sandy Koufax rookie, Willie Mays. Since I had them all graded, people could bid with confidence.

yea i didn't collect baseball, but i remember these being hot at the time too:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I got mad basketball cards..when i was a kid i got hooked by the neiberhood card dealer. Seriously, i was like ten and was in his store from 4 to 6 every day (the guy was taking advantage of kids. I was signing opera and getting paid but having my own bank card was the dumbest move....

Anyways I am trying to sell them now because ive been burned in the past (hardaway cards not worth anything is fine but i had two grant hill rookies goldstamp raer ihad bought for 50$ a piece back in the day needless to say )

I found a forum sort of a soulstrut for card nerds they mostly collect by player so I'm gonna hit em on the PM

you should try that and act like you know your shit (check beckett) stores will screw you like shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Skybox. da-mn, i remember kids were sweating the Glen Rice rookie card. And the Jordan, Nique, and Kemp cards too.

I collected hardcore for a good 5 yrs.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I remember flinching when Upper Deck baseball started at a buck a pack. Nowadays to get a pack with less cards in them......... The baller $$$ drove me out of the game.