Movies about Disco/Dancing/DJs/Skating

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
OK, just add on and make recommendations--feel free to stay loose (does not have to be ABOUT disco to be a disco movie)--tell me about something I don't knowThank God It's FridaySaturday Night FeverRoller Boogie(Avenging) Disco GodfatherThe AppleCan't Stop The MusicRoll Bounce54

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Klute - footage shot at Sanctuary / Haven with the OG DJ mack Daddy Danny Grasso
    Rockers - "diss is a HIJACK"
    Blue Sunshine - Great disco dance scene wherein dude wigs out from dropping too much acid (blue sunshine) goes spontaneously bald and chases peeps around the dancefloor whilst the heroine hides in the booth and eventually BLASTS him with the PA.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Xanadu?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Prolly lame, but I was one click away from putting "the Last Days of Disco" in my queue. I used to want to pee on Cloe Svengily or however the fuck you spell it, but Whit Stillman dries me up and I stopped peeing on white girls.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Xanadu?

YES! forgot about that!

Klute - footage shot at Sanctuary / Haven with the OG DJ mack Daddy Danny Grasso
    Blue Sunshine - Great disco dance scene wherein dude wigs out from dropping too much acid (blue sunshine) goes spontaneously bald and chases peeps around the dancefloor whilst the heroine hides in the booth and eventually BLASTS him with the PA.

Good calls! I haven't watched Blue Sunshine in years, and when I did see it all I could remember was that half the cast was also on "The Lou Grant Show" back in th eearly 80s.

I may go get Klute tonight!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Xanadu?

YES! forgot about that!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

This is one of my all time favorite flicks. Not only is it about Records, and its about Jamaican Distribution in the 70's! Its kinda like the 'Hustle and Flow' for reggae fans. Can you imagine if you had to load up your motor bike and drive all over a tropical Island just to find or deliver the hottest new ish!? Plus it has cameos from a lot of great artists when they were young...Winston of Burning Spear for example is in his early 20's in this movie.. sweet.....The version I have on VHS even has subtitles for people like my mom who have hard time makin out thier accents.

I wish I had this sound track on vinyl.

Some cheesy choices for DJ / Skate movies of the 80's:

Pump up the Volume and Gleaming the Cube

Does anyone know about this movie called KING?? I think its from around 85' it was a Disney movie I think about a white Graffiti Artist in N.Y.C....I seen it on cable many years ago and dont remember much about it except this white kid, graf and race relations....Can anyone help me out??

One of my first crushes.

Not to mention a special place these days as a dollarbin queen.

and I stopped peeing on white girls.

Man, I am sure the white female population of Richmond is bummed to hear about this stoppage!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can anyone ID this crazy hippy movie I caught on cable one? It has this commune of freaks who live in this big city park, and then there's federation of future-cops that is trying to drive them out. My guess is that it was shot sometime around 1976. I know that's vague but I imagine that someone here knows exactly what I'm talking about.

and I stopped peeing on white girls.

Man, I am sure the white female population of Richmond is bummed to hear about this stoppage!

They are all getting athlete's foot(s).

Xanadu?

YES! forgot about that!

I saw this in the theatres.
    yes, I am aged.

By the way, I had a Border's coupon and purchased 'Can't Stop the Music' and 'Roller Boogie' as they were both super cheap(even w/o the discount). As I was checking out I had to hold back the urge to say "Honestly, I am totally straight even though I am purchasing two of THE gayest movies ever made."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    One of my first crushes.

Not to mention a special place these days as a dollarbin queen.

XANADU =

FAME........maybe

NIGHTHAWKS has a big chase in the disco scene.

SUMMER OF SAM contains some nice disco references

NIGHTHAWKS has a big chase in the disco scene.

SUMMER OF SAM contains some nice disco references

Yeah, Summer of Sam is a bummer though. Though not as bummer as "Cruising".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ICE CASTLES.............

Skating

• Does anyone know about this movie called KING?? I think its from around 85' it was a Disney movie I think about a white Graffiti Artist in N.Y.C....I seen it on cable many years ago and dont remember much about it except this white kid, graf and race relations....Can anyone help me out??

You're thinking of...
    DREAMS DON'T DIE.. From 82 & it was a TV movie... It's been one

PLOT DESCRIPTION
    Filmed on location in New York, Dreams Don't Die is a story of survival. Ike Eisenmann stars as Danny, a young "graffiti artist" whose talents do not go unnoticed by a sensitive cop (Paul Winfield). With no father of his own, Danny latches onto the cop. This in turn leads to an intensive effort by Danny to track down a local drug lord. In his last film role, James Broderick is uncharacteristically cast as the villain. Made for television, Dreams Don't Die premiered May 21, 1982. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Starred that kid Ike Eisenmann, who was in that shortlived Bermuda Triangle show Fantastic Journey in the 70s.

• Did anyone mention Skatetown USA..?
    Flip Wilson, Swayze...

Too big to post this poster image..
    http://www.alyon.org/generale/theatre/cinema/affiches_cinema/s/seu-smo/skatetown_usa.jpg

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Starring a young Fergie from BEP.