What's Good on Scepter (Blue Label)?

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Any gems out there besides BT Express? I've picked up a bunch of them (Bimbo Jet, Bobby Moore, The Chequers, Blues Busters, etc) and a lot of them are interesting but fall short of greatness. And what is the deal with Tom Moulton mixing like everything they ever put out?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    My secret break.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    My secret break.

Patti Jo 'Make Me Believe in You'??

I knew it.

[/ipaytoposthere]

---

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Any gems out there besides BT Express? I've picked up a bunch of them (Bimbo Jet, Bobby Moore, The Chequers, Blues Busters, etc) and a lot of them are interesting but fall short of greatness.

And what is the deal with Tom Moulton mixing like everything they ever put out?

Scepter didn't have that blue label very long. It was in 1975, right at the tail end of their history. As far as the Tom Moulton remixes, disco was just coming in as Scepter was going out, so they were probably trying to latch on to the new trend, as a desperate last gasp to keep from dying. Didn't work - by 1976, the label had already gone out of business.

Now the stuff on their Wand subsidiary around the same time was really good. Wand changed to an orange design around the same time Scepter went blue, and some good 45's came out of that arrangement - South Shore Commission, Will Hatcher, "Let This Be A Lesson To You" by the Independents.