I got offered $10 g’s for my collection

AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
Someone offered me $10,000 yesterday for JUST my hip-hop.I never thought I'd sell it, but damn 10g's! Hard to imagine my record collection without all that stuff though. I'll have to think about it. It's partly a moral issue because I think the kid is spoiled and just has loot and never had to work etc.. So he never paid any dues. My collection is the culmination of years of swaps, private sales, and crazy hard work etc.. I actauly told him no but now I'm thinkin about calling him back. Nah.Anyone ever had any total buy out offers? And hypothetically if you could sell it all at once and could name your price (within reason) what would it be???-a

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Someone offered me $10,000 yesterday for JUST my hip-hop.
    I never thought I'd sell it, but damn 10g's! Hard to imagine my record collection without all that stuff though. I'll have to think about it. It's partly a moral issue because I think the kid is spoiled and just has loot and never had to work etc.. So he never paid any dues. My collection is the culmination of years of swaps, private sales, and crazy hard work etc.. I actauly told him no but now I'm thinkin about calling him back. Nah.

Anyone ever had any total buy out offers? And hypothetically if you could sell it all at once and could name your price (within reason) what would it be???

-a

My mantra has always been this: it's easier to hustle up more money than it is to hustle up more records. That $100 you might drop for a record you've been searching after for 3 years is something you can make in a day or two, cleaning houses if you had to. You can't swab toilets for wax.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    sell

you can do alot with ten g's

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    sell

I know man damn. But ONE thing I probably couldn't do with ten g's......

Replace them rekkids.

Damn.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude, don't sell, especially not to some lazy herb with fat pockets who's trying to get into the game by buying his way in.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    sell

I know man damn. But ONE thing I probably couldn't do with ten g's......

Replace them rekkids.

Damn.

HOW DOES SOMEONE REPORT THAT TO THE IRS?I WOULD SELL IT AND START ALL OVER AGAIN,ADVENTURES ARE MEANT TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Think about it - say you'll sell at $20k and start that way. If he's serious, he'll barter with you, and you should get more than his first offer, easy.

If you don't like the deal, back off.........he'll be the one left with the sweaty palms.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Think about it - say you'll sell at $20k and start that way. If he's serious, he'll barter with you, and you should get more than his first offer, easy.

If you don't like the deal, back off.........he'll be the one left with the sweaty palms.

Truth. Laugh in his face as his paltry offer("$10K? You gotta be shittin me! That collection is worth 4 times that! Don't insult me again.") and see how serious he is.

• how many records is it?
    i got about 3500 in my hiphop collection. if i sold all of them together for 10g's that would only be $2.86 per record.
    not worth it.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Seriously, 10K for anything more that 1000 is out of the question. Think about it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dude, I would have taken it and invested it. Nothing is permanent. You can make crispy digital recordings outta the raers right now. In 20 years if you don't have the right investments/job you won't be able to dig, make CDs, or hunt vinyl if you can't pay your power bill and have to feed a baby.

Seriously, think about it. That's a pretty damn good investment. Many RADD ventures, stores, movies, empires have been built on 10 and LESS.

JUST SAYIN', THINK ABOUT IT.

(and bargain for more loot. That Cenobites 12" isn't only worth $2, not to mention all the time you put in on the grind hunting those pieces down)

THINK ABOUT IT.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Well for one thing you didn't know I was on here and I'm not a spoiled kid. I thought 10G's would be a good Gentleman offer. But since your not man enough to make your own decision and have to ask others, that makes you are unworthy of my money so I have to lower the price to $1000. I thought I could use the doubles but since you don't have enough woodlock oil on your sack..........

Shoot dawg sell them joints, hold some back for your self. & Try to get a higher price.... Or you could just buy a bunch of dollar recrods in sleeves and try to fake him out....

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Just don't invest in Enron or anything like that.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    It is hard to say if 10,000 is a lot without seeing the collection first.

Wish I knew how to make a poll I'd ask what others throught there collection was worth out of curiousity.

• Totally depends on what is in your collection and how large it is. 10G's is a good price for a collection chock full of recent year promos with the occaisional biz markie single.

Surprising as it may seem, $1 a record for many large collections is a good starting point, IF many of the records are well-loved condition and most of the titles too common to be worth selling. Point being $3 a record is nothing to sneeze at.

That said, I'd never sell mine for that little. I'm really selective and I only let titles in that I'm really into. Hell I saw showandtell unload 3 LPs I have for about a grand. If I really needed $ I'd just rip those to CD and unload em.

Hell I saw showandtell unload 3 LPs I have for about a grand.

exactly, but who says the market will hold?

NOTHING IS TENABLE

• Al, I'm at the point where I would probably take the 10 g's. As long as I can listen to my music, I'm straight, whatever format. I'd probably be bummed if I sold something that I really had the urge to listen to that I couldn't find on MP3, but overall, it doesn't bother me now like it would a few years back.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    It's partly a moral issue because I think the kid is spoiled and just has loot and never had to work etc.. So he never paid any dues.

Wha?!?

maybe im just crazy, butt hat sounds ridiculous to me.Sell or dont sell your collection based on how much your offered and how much its worth to you... not on whether or not you believe the customer is worthy of it. That sounds like some shit that The Record Collector on melrose would do.

• Hell I saw showandtell unload 3 LPs I have for about a grand.

exactly, but who says the market will hold?

NOTHING IS TENABLE

Sure, but we're talking about what a collection is worth right now. I'd rather sell %1 of my collection and keep the rest of it. My Impulse titles may not be worth jack compared to some of the other stuff, but that doesn't diminish their importance.

We are speaking the same language, A*****. I am all about keeping the stuff that strikes me. More than often this does not correllate to heavy or raer. I am just saying the market for these pieces of plastic is known to fluctuate, just like any market.

I mean, in "Crate Digging DJ and HipHopSpeak":

"POOF! BUBBLES GON' BURST AND BLOW

, LOSE ALL YOU DOUGH IF YOU SLOW!"

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    It's partly a moral issue because I think the kid is spoiled and just has loot and never had to work etc.. So he never paid any dues.

Wha?!?

maybe im just crazy, butt hat sounds ridiculous to me.Sell or dont sell your collection based on how much your offered and how much its worth to you... not on whether or not you believe the customer is worthy of it. That sounds like some shit that The Record Collector on melrose would do.

Ha Ha. I appreciate your insight. I suppose anyone is "worthy", I meant just that somehow I would feel better about selling it to someone who actaully has a real appreciation etc.. I find folks who have had everything handed to them forever tend to appreciate things a little less. But there are always exceptions and I am not saying that is the case here. I just wanna give my little pets to a "good home" someday. I think dude is o.k. regardless and in fact he is my friend and I am just jealous that he never works, drives a BMW, nice pad, nice toys, mad records, even though I've never seen him at a swap meet, thrift store, or yard sale ever. But I see what your saying and you are right that I should have no problem whatsoever handing him everything at the drop of a dime as long as he has the loot.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    i feel you on "wanting a good home" for your recs. though.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    he never works, drives a BMW, nice pad, nice toys, mad records, even though I've never seen him at a swap meet, thrift store, or yard sale ever.

This sounds like the life to me.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Someone offered me $10,000 yesterday for JUST my hip-hop.
    I never thought I'd sell it, but damn 10g's! Hard to imagine my record collection without all that stuff though. I'll have to think about it. It's partly a moral issue because I think the kid is spoiled and just has loot and never had to work etc.. So he never paid any dues. My collection is the culmination of years of swaps, private sales, and crazy hard work etc.. I actauly told him no but now I'm thinkin about calling him back. Nah.

Anyone ever had any total buy out offers? And hypothetically if you could sell it all at once and could name your price (within reason) what would it be???

-a

That would be such a tough decision for me. Granted, your collection is probably larger than mine but $10K is just enough to get me completely out of debt. I would have to think long and hard about it but debt is the devil.

I just wanna give my little pets to a "good home" someday.

RECORDS ARE NOT PETS, EVERYONE KNOWS THEY ARE MUSICAL PORTALS THAT ALLOW ONE TO TRAVEL TO ANOTHER PLANE OF CONSCIOUSNESS AND ATTAIN STATES OF ACOUSTIC NIRVANA. SOUND DIMENSIONS. MYSTICAL TOOLS THAT CHANNEL THE SOUL. I USE MODERN SOUL TO ACCESS MY SOUL.

I also heard a record called Stark Reality also makes for a great bean dip and guacamole serving tool for your next dinner party. You should try it! (Filling one original Stark Reality vinyl bowl serves up to 8)

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

We'll say he gets it up to 14k

$14,000
    -4,000 (Less taxes)
    -------
    $10,000 (back to where we started)

We'll say he invested it at 8% (that's reasonable for a safe investment over time)
    5 years: $14,700
    10 years: $21,600
    15: $31,700
    20: $46,600
    30: $100,600

Not bad. And that's only compounding once yearly, not breaking it down with monthly compounding. And on top of that, that's only sitting in a something like a mutual fund.

You an also figure that the value of records are going to drop most likely, so you'd probably do better with the money. At the bare minimum, it's unlikely they'll grow in value.

Oh yeah, in 30 years, less taxes: $70,000

bwahahaha uncle sam will get youuuuuuu

What Mutual Fund are you getting a consistent 8% off of?

You got a tax lien going for you yet, Graf? Just curious. Earn 14%, yo.

AS THE GREAT GENIUS SAID RECENTLY:

"DIVERSIFY YOUR BONDZ, N*GGA"

-WU-TANG FINANCIAL

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Hell I saw showandtell unload 3 LPs I have for about a grand.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Have you given him a list of what's in the collection? Because if you haven't, keep the hot shit and pad it out with some filler.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    -4,000 (Less taxes)

Do you really pay taxes buying/selling record collections?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    What Mutual Fund are you getting a consistent 8% off of?

You got a tax lien going for you yet, Graf? Just curious. Earn 14%, yo.

AS THE GREAT GENIUS SAID RECENTLY:

"DIVERSIFY YOUR BONDZ, N*GGA"
    -WU-TANG FINANCIAL

Well I was giving a conservative estimate. 14% seems high for mutual funds over the long term. What's the standard, like 10%?

(I have no more savings, thank you college)

As far as tax liens... I have barely any income, I always fall under the federal poor people limit... so I never owe anything.