"Back Like Cooked Crack"

emyndemynd 830 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I jacked this post from my homeboy on another board, but I've been wondering precisely the same thing lately and thought perhaps someone could enlighten me:
I've been wondering...People have been saying, for the past year and a half or so, that they were "back like crack" but I haven't heard any news reports or anything along those lines that tell that crack is no longer in decline.Anybody know what's up?
My response added nothing, and simply agreed that I too didn't understand what the heck folks were talking about:
No idea.I'm pretty sure Juelz Santana invented the phrase. First of all, when his recent mixtape with Green Lantern "Back Like Cooked Crack part 2" (which is fucking HOT by the way) came out, I was unaware that there was a "Back Like Cooked Crack part 1" and had I been aware of its existence a year earlier, my reaction would've been exactly the same as mine was when discovering part 2: "Is crack making a comeback that I'm not aware of?"That being said, we shouldn't discount the fact that it does sound pretty darn cool when you say it though just because of the rhythm and velocity of the phrase itself.But, to answer your question, I too haven't discovered anything that suggests crack is not on the decline... except for "gangsta rap" of course.
Somebody more in touch with the streets should enlighten me.-e

Comments

• yes it's definitely back

although dope may have superceded it as we run down the anesthitizing alphabet

then again some i know 'don't smoke crack, just cook coke'

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Somebody more in touch with the streets should enlighten me.

Step on a crack, break ya mama's back.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Hah!

I can't front. As annoyingly (and most times incomprehensibly) inciting as I find you, your presence is genuinely appreciated.

-e

Hah!

I can't front. As annoyingly (and most times incomprehensibly) inciting as I find you, your presence is genuinely appreciated.

-e

Thank you. And do know that I don't hate anyone as much as I let on. OK, maybe I do hate Fat Joe...but he's not even a real person, so that shouldn't count.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    yes it's definitely back

Out of curiosity, is this based on firsthand observation or some sort of study (not that I have any idea how one can accurately study this sort of thing)?

I was under the impression that the crack trade wasn't nearly as lucrative as it was in the past and that, for the most part, there was a pretty steady decrease.

-e

• firsthand observation

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I heard the other day that trendies in London are doing, because of that guy from the Libertines. But I'll take that piece of information with a grain of crack, I mean salt.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    firsthand observation

You take the 16th & Mission BART? Or do you go to Club Six?

Seems to be no shortage of the hubba rock in SF, that's for sure.

firsthand observation

Word on the street (at least a couple of years ago) right up above the 16th & Mission BART is/was that it's heroin that is THE thing to sell. If you get pinched you don't get in as much trouble. Plus the suburban kids take the train to your spot, cop, then return to where they came from. I went to work through that station like 3 years straight and it was amazing to see the exact same junky hustlers there every damned day. Even after a bust, it would only take a day or two before they were right back on their same egg crates.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    firsthand observation

Word on the street (at least a couple of years ago) right up above the 16th & Mission BART is/was that it's heroin that is THE thing to sell. If you get pinched you don't get in as much trouble. Plus the suburban kids take the train to your spot, cop, then return to where they came from. I went to work through that station like 3 years straight and it was amazing to see the exact same junky hustlers there every damned day. Even after a bust, it would only take a day or two before they were right back on their same egg crates.

Yeah, I used to run into you a couple of times a week near that station! Took me forever to figure out what the hell "one and one" meant. Hella dudes stumblin' and mumblin', "One and one?"

Heroin and crack, right? The "new" lo-fi speedball?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i used to be privy to a pretty crazy crack game by my old house
    here in toronto its run by corrupt taxi services that use their dispatch for delivery .
    last summer on any given night id see about a half dozen pickups over the course of a couple hours. the taxi would roll up, and one of two things would happen. either crackhead would get in the car, or someone would jump out the car, and the taxi would jet real quick.

it was never coke. dudes would always bust out the pipe 30 seconds after the transaction. nobody even find a seat, they just sit on the pavement and light up.

for a while we were writing down plates just to be sly. there was about a dozen or so different taxis doing the pickup.

slangin on the corner is childs play

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    i used to be privy to a pretty crazy crack game by my old house
    here in toronto its run by corrupt taxi services that use their dispatch for delivery .
    last summer on any given night id see about a half dozen pickups over the course of a couple hours. the taxi would roll up, and one of two things would happen. either crackhead would get in the car, or someone would jump out the car, and the taxi would jet real quick.

it was never coke. dudes would always bust out the pipe 30 seconds after the transaction. nobody even find a seat, they just sit on the pavement and light up.

for a while we were writing down plates just to be sly. there was about a dozen or so different taxis doing the pickup.

slangin on the corner is childs play

An interesting phenomena for The Wire to explore?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    H is definitely around more out here. But I get the feeling thats the way it always was on the west coast.

Also, the trendy drug to do is METH, but thats just rediculous.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    No doubt. Meth is the new crack.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

What's the "old" one?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

New lo-fi speedball? Few lied no beedspall? New Lo-speed fi ball?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

What's the "old" one?

I was wondering the same thing...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    e--

I always assumed that phrase referred to the crack era. There was a time when crack sales offered a small number of young men a path to fantastic wealth, but, as I'm sure you know, that opportunity has been gone for awhile. There has lately been a tremendous romanticization of those years in rap music, though. Like, it's a reference to ghetto wealth of the past and the possibility/hope that it could return. Not that I really know, though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    e--

I always assumed that phrase referred to the crack era. There was a time when crack sales offered a small number of young men a path to fantastic wealth, but, as I'm sure you know, that opportunity has been gone for awhile. There has lately been a tremendous romanticization of those years in rap music, though. Like, it's a reference to ghetto wealth of the past and the possibility/hope that it could return. Not that I really know, though.

FUCKING RAP THROWBACK TO THE GOLDEN ERA! Is "Nino Brown" their Pete Rock?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i worked on a study of drug trends among asian youth in san francisco. and i had to interview youngsters and meet with politicians and shit. it was gross on both ends.

anyways, meth is pretty big in SF. mostly cuz there's a huge asian population in SF and asians love them some crank.

tar is still large and in charge, but the asian kids dont fuck with that or crack. i think its been stigmatized to the point where that is considered a "bad" drug. which i guess appeals to the "so-called" "hipsters" or some such. anyways, i guess its hip to walk down market with a big gulp and the straw up your nose.

these kids love to pop pills. mostly muscle relaxers called dans or dansberri or SOMA.

but almost always, kids are doing these drugs in combination with other drugs. usually alcohol and weed, but even mixing some pills and shit up and having names for that shit that i dont remember.

i think ecstasy was on the decline.

and i think they were too poor to get their hands on some cocaine.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    meth is fucking gigantic in hawaii. a few months back, there was a story on the news about this dude high on meth who cut this other person off on the road and then pulled out a shotgun and started firing. now THAT's some shit i never want to be on.