calypso ?

6fran506fran50 266 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I' m new to this lively music, but i really dig the (only) 2 albums i have (duke of iron and calypso mama).I heard about eloise lewis, lord invader or count owen, but dont know what it's worth ...So maybe some people here could help me to improve my calypso knowledge ?any artists recommendations ? labels ?thanks in advance

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    two that I picked up recently that I'm feeling-

Lord Nelson - Disco Daddy (don't let the name fool you)
    Sparrow - Spectacular (check for "pussy quarreling")

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Lord Kitchener
    Mighty Sparrow

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Get hold of the London Is The Place For Me comp for lots of excellent Kitchener and Sparrow tracks. There's also a nice, recentish Smithsonian/Folkways comp of Lord Invader stuff. I love old school calypso but it's all on CD - trying to find nice old stuff on vinyl in London has proved very tough and pretty pricey.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Come to Toronto... We got Calypso for dayzzzzzzzzzz. Due to having a huge trinidadian community.

Though I've never been big into Calypso/Soca. There is some great stuff around.

Lord Kitchener, Lord Melody, Mighty Sparrow, Growling Tiger, etc...

Growing up I use to love Chinese Laundry tapes (Tho.. More for the Reggae ones).

My fav record isn't really even calypso (More of a african/calypso/disco fusion record).

Bunny Mack - Let Me Love You

Put on the Instrumental and turn it all the way up and when the bass solo hits part way though.. Always gets me going! It's on Rokel, but the realness is if you can find the 33 1/3 version instead of the 45 on Soul Makossa (Might not be S.M. I forget... But it has a Yellow Label). I sold my copy to Aki a few years ago and I've never seen another copy (In the field or online). If you got one.. Hit me on the PM!

Also.. If anyone has some old Chinese Laundry tapes... Hit me up also!

Still debating whether to come over for Canadian Music Week but I'm in Toronto pretty often - any recommendations for calypso spots? London has a huge West Indian population but affordable calypso records seems to have been mopped up long ago, probably by all the Japanese. I've only just got back into calypso after a loooong gap (15 years) and looks like I've left it too late.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Hm. One genre I'm honestly surprised to see getting some love here. Except for the rare crossover track it all sounds the same to me.

These records sit around for YEARS in this part of the country.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    The Real Calypso 1927 - 1946 (Folkways, RBF-13)

I used to really hatt on calypso until I listened to this. Amazing.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Yeah, it's the stuff form the Forties, Fifties and early Sixties that I love, not the soca carnival stuff.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    Yeah, it's the stuff form the Forties, Fifties and early Sixties that I love, not the soca carnival stuff.

that s also what i search for ... and thanks guys for the infos

• Options
    Except for the rare crossover track it all sounds the same to me.

That's because the good records aren't readily available. Trust me, there are many a mind blowing calypso record - up there with any jazz, soul, and latin record you can think off.

Originated in Trinidad, but made it's way to other islands such Jamaica (where it was infused with the native mento music), Bahamas (that's where Eliose Trio is from) Bermuda in addtion to the States (where Duke of Iron moved from Trinidad) to name a few. I'd personally rate the Bermudian calypso the weakest of the bunch.

Saw somewhat of a craze in the mid/late 50's and thus the abundance of US pressed records taking advantage of the popularity. In my opinion, the glory years are exemplified by big band and combo era's that occured during the 60's.

Wicked party track that I recently picked up. can't wait to play this out.

One of the funkiest intro's you'll ever here - killer drums.

Sublime calypso perfection. Canadian-only.

K in Toronto.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts

• Options
    Still debating whether to come over for Canadian Music Week but I'm in Toronto pretty often - any recommendations for calypso spots? London has a huge West Indian population but affordable calypso records seems to have been mopped up long ago, probably by all the Japanese. I've only just got back into calypso after a loooong gap (15 years) and looks like I've left it too late.

My place.

K in Canada.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

• i got this calyspso record with a cover of "Ain't No Sunshine" and "Pusherman". Pretty hot.

• jandarajandara 44 Posts

nice calypso record from Trinidad on Folkways by Lord Invader

• This was one of the most successful calypso albums of all time, its got day-o on it as well as some other good songs. I was going to pick up another of his calypso albums from the 50s, it had a blue cover, but it was scratched up too much...It looked good too.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

there a couple of songs here that IMO have a calypso feeling.....

please check and let me know if I am wrong.........

My place.

K in Canada.

Hey K - missed your post and in the end didn't have a lot of record buying time this trip but next time I'll PM you for sure and come and do my shopping chez toi.