Remember where u were? (RR)

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Inspired by Ivory's Mc Serch Interview where he was mentioning "Time's Up" by OC and stating "It's a track where everybody remembers where they were when they heard it for the first time" (although i don't), i came to think of some songs that I do remember where i was when i heard them the first time...1. Alkaholiks - Only when I'm drunkSitting in front of my parents stereo trying to get this dutch hiphopshow in tune back in 93 and this was the first song i got on and was completely blown away by the sample and the rappin'...i had to use headphones cause my parents were watchin tv and i got goosebumps because the track was (and still is) so damn fresh to me....of one my fav. groups eversince....2. Tuff Crew - Show em hellThe first time i heard these scratches by too tuff i was completely blown away too and catched the last 30 seconds on tape from a German radioshow called "Graffiti"...all in my room on headphones back in 89...they played deicide after that, some obscure deathmetal...this would be unbelievable today...still have that tape...3. EPMD - You gots to chillThis was also in 89 and i was in my local skate shop...the clerk there was reppin the new epmd, ice t's "power" and stereo mc's "on 33"...eventually, alot of HipHoprelated guys in my town came in touch with the culture via the skating scene...some guy came in and had this song on tape...i never heard a talkbox before, so that zapp sample was printed in my conscience and has never left eversince...one of my defining moments of gettin hooked on rap music... I left the store with the guy and we were talkin about PE and stuff and he told me he would go to see Ice T the next day live in concert...i almost freaked out...it was like one of them days where new worlds open up for you...4. Carla Marshal - ChampionBack in 1991 at my first Gang Starr Concert they played this song out loud before the show started...it was the first time i ever heard a dancehall track loud and this bassline got me hooked immediately...i remember this older white girl with stunna shades and rastas next to me giving me a smile when this came on when she was seeing my excitement about the track..we both danced next to each other and i felt like a king....hell i was thirteen and all when she looked at me...only got this track on vinyl a few years later...5. Afrique - House of the rising funkthis guitarlick was also printed in my head when dj food dropped it in cologne back in 93...they used to bring it in a couple of times during the evening and i will never forget this clubscene and them havin alot of fun on stage...and us havin fun gettin schooled on music...6. Nirvana - Smells like Teen SpiritHeard this for the first time in a cinema before Spike Lee's "Jungle Fever" was about to drop...the immediate impact this song had ( although it was played rather quietly) is still in good memory... if u know some more of yours, feel free to add on..thanks in advance!!!peace,dojah

Comments

• 6. Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit

freshman in highschool in my moms minvan

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Damn... Carla Marshall... Canada's Dancehall Goddess.

She was back in the day. I need to search out some of her old tracks.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    yeah, there was a whole bunch of Canadian Artists at the time on the tour....if you got that Michie Mee "Jamacain Funk" on 12", please pm me....

• I'll never forget the first time that I really 'got' Bob Marley. Sophmore year in college, and I had just started buying records, etc. One night, I was at a party where some dudes were playing records...it was later in the night, and they had put the hip-hop and funk away, and someone dropped "Natty Dread," in a reggae set- and the whole world opened up. That opening drum break/horn loop just killed me. I'll never forget it- still my favorite Marley song.

Nas "Get Down," was also one of those songs for me. "God's Son," was coming out in a couple weeks, and I was driving around one night listening to college radio. All of a sudden, "Get Down," came on, and I was all . I immediately called my friend to say, "Turn on your radio RIGHT NOW". Great moment on a Thursday night.

"Method Man," was another....probably a month or two before the LP came out, and I was up late watching "The Box," at my grandma's house in Philly. "Method Man," came on, and my view of hip hop was never the same.

Sure there are others...can't think of 'em.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    yeah, there was a whole bunch of Canadian Artists at the time on the tour....if you got that Michie Mee "Jamacain Funk" on 12", please pm me....

Damn, there was a time I had about 500 copies at my disposal. I personally will always pick Victory Is Calling / On This Mic over J.F. but I know the people have always liked J.F.

I think I might have a copy somewhere.. Let me look around, but I'm sure somebody here will have one they wanna give up.

• Options
    I'll never forget the first time that I really 'got' Bob Marley. Sophmore year in college, and I had just started buying records, etc. One night, I was at a party where some dudes were playing records...it was later in the night, and they had put the hip-hop and funk away, and someone dropped "Natty Dread," in a reggae set- and the whole world opened up.

oh gawd. Where's that hacky sack pic?????

K.

P.S. It's "Knotty Dread" on the original 7".

• I'll never forget the first time that I really 'got' Bob Marley. Sophmore year in college, and I had just started buying records, etc. One night, I was at a party where some dudes were playing records...it was later in the night, and they had put the hip-hop and funk away, and someone dropped "Natty Dread," in a reggae set- and the whole world opened up.

oh gawd. Where's that hacky sack pic?????

K.

P.S. It's "Knotty Dread" on the original 7".

'Scuse my ignance. "Knotty Dread" came on and changed my whole world. End cliched white-liberal-arts-college-party-moment. Would you like to hear about the first time I heard Big Youth?

Then there was the first time I heard Project Blowed...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Tuff Crew

I remember going over to buddies house to party and play some tecno bowl (was that what it was called?) and they were playing Tuff Crew. The song that got me was soul food. Ahh good times. Still need it on vinyl.

Smells Like Teen Spirit

I remember a professor in my class playing that video to make some point which eludes me now. The funny part was he didn't know what the chorus said. He asked if anyone in the class knew what the hell he was singing. Nobody in the class knew except me. So I had to tell the class the chorus. It felt like I was in class with a bunch of 40 year olds.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

1. Alkaholiks - Only when I'm drunk

They did a show at Emo's in '93, which I think was actually put on by soulstrut's jdeez. Anyway I obtained a cassette sampler that night and when I put the tape in the deck in my car and this song came on...oh shit!!!

6. Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit

Can't recall the absolute first time I heard this...musta been the day it came out because having already been a huge fan of Bleach, you know I was up at Tower Records on the Drag in between classes to pick this up (along with Bloodsugersexmagik which came out that same day). Anyway I got to hear the song performed at Liberty Lunch roughly a month later...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yes i do.

the message - grandmaster flash
    grade six ??? my class did this day exchange where we hung out with the grade seven kids at the junior high to show us what hells were waiting for us next September when we left the warm and familiar confines of being the eldest at elementary school. I got paired up with Marcia (not like the Brady Bunch, like Griffiths) ??? she and her friends lived in the townhouses out of my area and I was glad to not be stuck with one of the kids I already knew from my neighbourhood. Her binders were covered in bubble-letter doodles, her clothes were amazing (Sassoon sweater!), her friends sooo cool (chicks in super-tight jeans and big-ass runners and boys who were break-dancers) ??? they treated me so nicely and didn???t act like I was a hassle at all. Lunch-time we went to the strip mall, got patties and sourdough and someone put on a cassette tape and this song came on and I thought my head was going to explode. It sounded amazing to me, but I could hardly process it. I tried to play it cool, but I asked about it so much that she wrote down most of the lyrics for me in the afternoon classes and tried to explain what it all meant.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ...the first time that you heard "I'm In Love With A Stripper"?

Why, yes. Yes, I do.

I was down in Atlanta, of course, driving a car borrowed from my mother down North Avenue when the electronically distorted notes of the rappa ternted sanga T-Pain's voice seared that moment into my memory for eternity. Without a doubt, one of the emotional high points of my adult life. As a matter of fact, I have spent the past five months trying to replicate that high, listening to the song through headphones for up to four hours a day.