Sa-Ra

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
You guys feeling this? Kinda interesting. POst your opinions. Theres a track up at spinemagazine.com

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I used to like sa-ra's earlier stuff more than this new shit.

even that song they did with dilla(rip...)

They have a super jackedup/boosted synth sound that is "different" i guess but intense and now they seem to be jocking their style and adoring their own hype (especially with the GOOD music kanye deal) like some of their hooks refer to themselves and their impending success. PPP (that i prefer a lot) had similar hype but the modest way Wajeed handles himself is much better IMO

also some of their earlier album was thrown together randomnly more than crafted.

huge judgment call though only my opinion (i dont super hat'em)

ps: there style of dressing is entertaining though

on the real though i wish success to up and coming artists everywhere

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm sure there's going to be a whole bunch of 'take that shit to okayplayer.com' replies in this thread, but whatever. I'm diggin Sa-Ra. I've got a bunch of old mp3 demo leaks in my playlist, and the 'Glorious' and 'Double Dutch' 12-inches. They have apparently done several tracks on the coming Bilal album, and I'm liking what I have heard from it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    They have apparently done several tracks on the coming Bilal album, and I'm liking what I have heard from it.

they took that hollywood beat some guy posted it

pm me if your a "super fan"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The hype and steelo reminds me of when the Neptunes were coming up. Well, not necessarily the steelo but the ascension. Maybe they'll break out of the okayplayer stigma though.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Overall - NOT feeling 'em... I've tried listening a few times but just can't get into their music... Its just not appealing to me, just a bunch of noise... I don't know how else to explain it but I'll pass on them dudes everytime...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    They have apparently done several tracks on the coming Bilal album, and I'm liking what I have heard from it.

they took that hollywood beat some guy posted it

pm me if your a "super fan"

That was me .

• besides "rosebuds" everything by these dudes has really underwhelmed me- way too overproduced for my tastes. Co-sign on PPP, they already dropped a nice album + Wajeed is a pretty good dj as well.

• Their music is interesting enough, but the guys really suck at DJing.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The hype and steelo reminds me of when the Neptunes were coming up. Well, not necessarily the steelo but the ascension. Maybe they'll break out of the okayplayer stigma though.

Neptunes' hype = based on producing actual hit records

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    The modern day version of Parliament/Funkadelic. At least when they play live instruments.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    The modern day version of Parliament/Funkadelic. At least when they play live instruments.

Really??? Not trying to be sarcastic, I'm really interested - could you elaborate?

• The modern day version of Parliament/Funkadelic. At least when they play live instruments.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've really only heard the first two 12"s but I really dig them. Whenever I hear something that you don't love right away but somehow find appealing, I kinda know it's gonna be something that grows on me, and the Sa-Ra stuff certainly has. Death of a star is so dope, Glorious too. I'm interesting in seeing what they'll do with the album format, but I can totally see them getting caught up in their own hype Kanye style. It's weird how they've been hyped from the moment they released their 12s, whereas I never heard anything about them when they were just producing. And the stuff they've made for other people is a bit . Haven't heard the Pharoahe/Dilla one though, so I can't speak on that.

• Even though I like some of their material, I still have to admit they make some intersting-ass music.

I'm also really feeling PPP & Up Hygh

Up Hygh are nice, weird with some 19-year olds from Sweden doing the offbeat Dilla style beats, but it sort of makes sense. I don't see Sweden biting the Houston style anytime soon (although I'd be all for it) and we don't really have strip clubs here so the Collipark/Lil Jon style probably won't catch on either. And people need somewhere to go after they realise copying '97 Premier ain't that fresh anymore. Those guys'll hopefully do something interesting with the album format too.

• Up Hygh are nice, weird with some 19-year olds from Sweden doing the offbeat Dilla style beats, but it sort of makes sense. I don't see Sweden biting the Houston style anytime soon (although I'd be all for it) and we don't really have strip clubs here so the Collipark/Lil Jon style probably won't catch on either. And people need somewhere to go after they realise copying '97 Premier ain't that fresh anymore. Those guys'll hopefully do something interesting with the album format too.

those lil' bastards ar 19? dammn. Yeah their 12'' is suppsoed to drop next month (some real dope shit w/ Phonte & Melo)

And word, what's up with Europeans biting premier heavily a few years ago?

I think a lot of people in Europe were/are stuck in a sort of misguided defense of "realness" (as opposed to a justified and accurate support of THAT REAL SCHITT, of course). I think the barriers of boring realness are falling down in Sweden now, Denmark and Germany may be a bit slower. Believe me, I'm all for sampling and all that, but when people make boring shit it just isn't right. All that stiff chopping& sequencing got to go, if you can't do it right.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    PPP (that i prefer a lot) had similar hype but the modest way Wajeed handles himself is much better IMO

The PPP track featuring Sa-Ra makes my pants tight. It's perfect for the space-aged Steppers Set. ("When I go inside your house, baby we can ... deep inside of your love... UH OH...") Another Sa-Ra song I really like is a remix they did for Steve Spacek, something about an ex-girlfriend.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i really haven't heard anything from them that was like whoa kinda deal but i've heard a lot of mad decent stuff. i especially like the beats they gave monche.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Neptunes' hype = based on producing actual hit records

exactly

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Really??? Not trying to be sarcastic, I'm really interested - could you elaborate?

In this day and age, I have yet to encounter something so extravagantly off kilter, if that makes any sense. And seeing them live (not deejaying, but playing instruments) made me think of that analogy, with the outlandish outfits, the sex and drugs lyrics, off kilter steez. I realize its sorta private mind garden-ish, but to me it holds up.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Sa-Ra is dope.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Sa-Ra is dope.

Word up! But there's a dude called JEREMY ELLIS aka AYRO, who has released 2 LPs, who is one of the best musician I heard since a while... dunno, maybe that I am disconnected, I doubt...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Sa-Ra is dope.

Word up! But there's a dude called JEREMY ELLIS aka AYRO, who has released 2 LPs, who is one of the best musician I heard since a while... dunno, maybe that I am disconnected, I doubt...

Did you catch that live MPC clip? I was impressed.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Copped that Double Dutch 12" a while back and originally thought I had made a mistake. Took a while to get into it, but I like it a lot now.

Their synth sounds are very often abbrassive, which I think took a while for me to get used to. The high end of the frequency spectrum is mastered hot as shit and is crispy as hell.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Sa-Ra is dope.

Yeah! funny shit! Dude is funny plus he's

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Sa-Ra is dope.

Yeah! funny shit! Dude is funny plus he's

Yes yes yes

Yeah the mastering is real weird, when you play Death of a Star on a club system it's impossible to make it blend in nicely with the other records, it just sticks out with that supersharp sound. At least it's original.

• Yeah, they've got some hot shit, but a few terds too - but you can say that about virtually any artist. Rosebuds is a hell of a dope track, and the beat on Agent Orange is HEAVY. They have a kind of Prince vibe on occasion that I quite dig, but I guess that's because I like Prince and that kind of bastardised P-funk sound. If anything's going to fuck them up, it's the ridiculous amount of hype they've received with really very little actual music to back it up. It'd be a shame if the hype fucks em though, cos they clearly have a bit of talent and make some original sounding stuff.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Cosign on the general response that Rosebuds blew me away first time I heard it but nothing else has really matched it since though Agent Orange was pretty decent.

Still, interested to see what they come up with next.