LEGAL QUESTION about album liner notes.........

Digger_Phelps_IIDigger_Phelps_II 174 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
so i'm wondering , if i put an album out with various samples, obviously i hafta go thru the necesarry channels and get the samples cleared.....once thats done, is it REQUIRED or necessary that i print the sample/artist in my liner notes about the tracks?OR...even though i cleared my samples, could i lie about the sample origin in my liner notes ,purposely listing a whole different sample to throw cats off, or leave the sample info out to make it look like i conceived all the musical elements myself......?

Comments

• Since when have albums ever cited who they were sampling or are you talking about a compilation of breaks?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    My understanding is that when you negotiate clearing samples, some artists/labels require printing credit in the liner notes and some don't. That's why on sample based albums you only see a few credits.

With that said, purposefully lying about your samples sounds like the worst idea ever! Sorry man

DJ Ferrari

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

With that said, purposefully lying about your samples sounds like the worst idea ever! Sorry man

Actually its pretty funny. You should list records nobody would ever buy because they completely suck.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Actually its pretty funny. You should list records nobody would ever buy because they completely suck.

Oh hell yeah it would be funny, but legally it's the worst idea ever.

DJ Ferrari

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

"This album was made completely out of Sayer breaks."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ACtually, lately I've been thinking it would be cool to list not only every record that was sampled for an album, but every record in your entire collection... kind of as a challenge. So like, the sample hunting lawyer could be like "hey- i own that record" and then they have to figure out if there is a sample from it in there or not.

So whatsisface could be all like "HEY! did you sample Alone Again Naturally?!" and I could be all like "mayyyyybeeeee.... why don't you deconstruct every single sound in the whole record and find out." Yeah, that would awesome. Even better would be getting a cease and decist for something I didn't even sample, just because it was listed.

Christ I'm bored at work.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've said this before, but the proof that you don't always have to list the samples are the Ghost Dog Soundtrack (not the japanese version, the one with MCs) which has no mention of samples in the notes. Some songs are just long loops jacked from Curtis Mayfield or Bobby Womack, so I'm pretty sure they're cleared.