recording dorks - a query

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Ok studio dudesim in the market for a new multi channel audio interfacerequirements - minimum 8 channels in out / duplexplease no digidesign recomendations as i will not be running protools on this.i've got a g5 so speed / power is not a problem.and i run osx / Ableton live.8 channels is probably plenty as the most i would need is about 4 mics for a classic glyn johns drum micing settup.. but i don't mind having a few extras on hand.i dont need any other bells and whistles.current options;Presonus FirepodFocusrite - octoprestudio projects sp828echo audiofireanybody have any additional recomendations? opinions / experience with these boxes?cheerio

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I've heard good things about the Mackie Onyx 400F.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i think silvertone was talking about using his apogee rosetta with a firewire card? with logic? something like that. i know that that is available now. that said, i love my rosetta. awesome,awesome converters. but it is running adat to my 002(te)r(d).

• You should look into the MOTU line of products. I've been using the 2408 for a couple of years now with Logic and am very happy with it....

• i've been using a rme hammerfall (http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/digifa.htm) with my pc notebook for a while now (there's also a firewire version for mac), very good sound but quite expensive...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i've been using a rme hammerfall (http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/digifa.htm) with my pc notebook for a while now (there's also a firewire version for mac), very good sound but quite expensive...

i have used rme stuff in the past as well. good stuff.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    excellent... keep em comin

nobody has spent any time with any of the other devices i mentioned?

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    nobody has spent any time with any of the other devices i mentioned?

no personal experiences, but "i have a friend who has one" and he is not super stoked on it(the focusrite).

so whatever that means.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    4 mics for a classic glyn johns drum micing settup.. but i don't mind having a few extras on hand.

please speak more on this and post audio if you have it.

• fuck all those! haha. jk.

Wait for the Apogee Ensemble, which should start shipping in a week, or so I am told. Really good converters (most/best for the price in firewire) with 4 pres and monitoring volume. I am sitting cash in hand waiting for the moment it comes out. Sold my ProTool, gonna run it with Logic. Badass.

This setup with one really good 2 channel DI/Pre, and an amazing two channel compressor (a la Alan Smart C2, which I also just got) = bangzilla.

Do it.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    I'm using an RME Multiface. It was $850 all together (breakout box + PCI card). Great converters on there and has ADAT in/out & SPDIF, etc. But you said you don't need any bells and whistles, so I don't know how justified you'd be in dropping that kind of loot for extras you don't need.

I will also suggest you take a look at the M-Audio Delta 1010. It's a fucking dinosaur (first came out in 2000 or so) but my choice came down between that and the RME. Although I'm not sure how drivers are for Mac, but I'd assume they're pretty stable considering it's age.

I'm not sure if you're looking for built in mic preamps, but the two I mentioned don't come equipped with those.

Take a look at soundonsound.com and read their reviews for audio interfaces.

Wait for the Apogee Ensemble,

This setup with one really good 2 channel DI/Pre, and an amazing two channel compressor (a la Alan Smart C2, which I also just got) = bangzilla.

how much is that monster gonna run for?

im not droppin serious cash for only 4 channels though.. that's like paying fron row dollar to sit in the back row.

i want 8 channels.. that seems iike an ideal amount of shit...

minimum drum settup is 4 mics, and that's with a mono overhead... id like to get into some stereo overheads so that means having a minimum of 5 inputs on the box.

speaking of m-audio i am not adverse to these bad boys.. yeah they get dissed, but they are the peavey of the home recorders world... ie no coolness factor but indestuctable rock solid does what it says o nthe tin... considering i wil lbe upgrading from my ghetto 2 channel mobile-pre i think anything is a step in the right direction.

so i think there's a new m-audio box the 1814 or something...

out of curiousity is there any beniefits to spdif? i've got that on the g5.. casn you record mulitple channles thru that? or is it best to stick with firewire?

4 mics for a classic glyn johns drum micing settup.. but i don't mind having a few extras on hand.

please speak more on this and post audio if you have it.

here's the skinny:

"Glyn Johns drum mic setup: one of the truely great engineers, Glyn Johns' credits include the kinks ,the stones,the who and the beatles, amoung many others. His technique of drum micing is fast and sounds great. You can use 20 mics and take 3 days to set them up, and if you're lucky, it might sound as good as this technique, which takes about 20 minutes. Hint: it only works well if you have a good drummer and a good sounding room to record in...

1) Over (cardiod:panned Left) about 4"-6" above Floor Tom facing Hi-Hat across Snare.
    2) Over (cardiod:Panned Right) about 2'-3' above the kit facing between the toms and snare.
    3) Snare
    4) Kick

5)room mics, bottom snare mic,2nd kick mic are all optional...the overheads work best if they are large diaphragm condensers....

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Alan Smart C2

dude.

let me know how that works out for you. i am considering trading out the 747 for possibly the c2 or something similar. i already have a fatso, and i am lacking in the eq department, so i my hold on to it just for the eq, but we'll see...