What was on your old basketball warm-up tapes?

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
in junior high i fondly remember doing lay-up lines and passing drills to rob base "it takes two". but then the next coach for jv didn't like hip hop music and would not allow it on a warm up tape. so we went with rush "tom sawyer" and i think we had back in black on there too.but whenever i hear it takes two i instinctively want to do layups.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    We never used music, but Ive told the story before, where I witnessed a woman's BBall team come to my high school and lip-sync the Licenced to Ill cassette during the layup line.

Preppy white chicks rhymin' =

• In high school, 95-96, it was, in order:

pharcyde- runnin

snoop dogg- pump pump

redman- time for some action

i think it was a rule that every high school basketball team (on the east coast) in the early to mid 90s had to have "time for some action" playing during warmups.

• kriss kross - jump
    epmd - crossover

does it get any better?

btw, redmans 'time for some action' is f*cking hype like mike tyson.

-rich

• wow... i just had a very bizarre flashback of playing b-ball on a saturday afternoon at a friends place while blasting: emf "unbelievable"

but it was usually just hiphop we'd blast while playing back then... mostly cypress hill and that first house of pain album.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    No B-Ball, but my ice hockey on-the-way-to-the-rink
    tape was South of Heaven by Slayer. Nothing better
    to have rolling around your head while cruising the ice...

BOMBS AWAAAAYY!!!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Ah, the glory days! Well not really... I went to a tiny hippy run private school where basketball was pretty low on the totem pole. I don't think we had any warmup tapes. My senior year as the captain was the school's first ever winning season. We didn't have a regulation sized gym so all our games were away. We practiced in the Cafe-gym-torium. The best was when we lost to the Rhode Island School for the Deaf and the local newspaper printed it as us losing to the Rhode Island School for the Blind

DJ Ferrari

• SCENARIO

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

in junior high i fondly remember doing lay-up lines and passing drills to rob base "it takes two". but then the next coach for jv didn't like hip hop music and would not allow it on a warm up tape. so we went with rush "tom sawyer" and i think we had back in black on there too.

but whenever i hear it takes two i instinctively want to do layups.

Wow...amazing how the mind controls things....everytime I hear "Tom Sawyer" by Rush I instinctively projectile vomit.

• no B-Ball, football and it was always just Slayer "Reign in Blood"...

• Options
    "Let Your Backbone Slide" lit a fire under many a crowd at West Hill, Mother Teresa, and Cedarbrae.

K in Canada.

P.S. I used to jog to the Commodores "Easy" put on a 90 minute tape on repeat.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I never understood why, but it was the first Van Halen album.

• I know that when I was in highschool me and my best friend would play ball and listen to funk flex's 60 mins of funk tape on my boom box. There is a blend on there of mobb deep shook ones over the instrumental for wu tangs aint nothin to fuck with. Anyway this song would get us so amped up, that when my cd broke, I made a mixtape with every other song this particular song.

The other day someone played that funk flex cd for me and it brought it all back. I had forgotten where that blend came from!