Crooklyn Dodgers 3

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
"Producer 9th Wonder intends to remake "Crooklyn Dodgers," a decade-old Hip-Hop classic, as the official lead-single for his solo LP, The DreamMerchant.The contemporary song, simply deemed "Crooklyn Dodgers 3," features Mos Def, Jean Grae and Memphis Bleek with DJ Premier on the turntables.The original Crooklyn Dodgers comprised rappers Buckshot, Masta Ace, Special Ed with A Tribe Called Quest manning the production. The hit song was a lead single to Spike Lee's 1994 movie Crooklyn.In 1995, Chubb Rock, Jeru The Damaja, O.C. formed the Crooklyn Dodgers 95 and released "The Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers" with DJ Premier on the beats.The Dream Merchant will be released through Six Hole Records, a label owned by Desi Relaford of the Baltimore Orioles.Relaford also released Pooh of Little Brother's solo album and the affiliated group Justus League's album as well.9th Wonder's opus is slated for an early August release and the producer said he has a purpose in mind."We' re just trying to put out good music, and get a bigger balance back in the game. This is rap music, it' s not Calculus class where youneed a long formula. Its just rap," he told AllHipHop.com in a recent interview. "Some cats will like it, some won' t - period.""memphis bleek...seriously? (feel free to quote and add the other rapperes involved in place of 'memphis bleek')

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    why
    why, oh why

• "Producer 9th Wonder intends to remake "Crooklyn Dodgers," a decade-old Hip-Hop classic, as the official lead-single for his solo LP, The Dream
    Merchant.

The contemporary song, simply deemed "Crooklyn Dodgers 3," features Mos Def, Jean Grae and Memphis Bleek with DJ Premier on the turntables.

The original Crooklyn Dodgers comprised rappers Buckshot, Masta Ace, Special Ed with A Tribe Called Quest manning the production. The hit song was a lead single to Spike Lee's 1994 movie Crooklyn.

In 1995, Chubb Rock, Jeru The Damaja, O.C. formed the Crooklyn Dodgers 95 and released "The Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers" with DJ Premier on the beats.

The Dream Merchant will be released through Six Hole Records, a label owned by Desi Relaford of the Baltimore Orioles.

Relaford also released Pooh of Little Brother's solo album and the affiliated group Justus League's album as well.

9th Wonder's opus is slated for an early August release and the producer said he has a purpose in mind.

"We' re just trying to put out good music, and get a bigger balance back in the game. This is rap music, it' s not Calculus class where you
    need a long formula. Its just rap," he told AllHipHop.com in a recent interview. "Some cats will like it, some won' t - period.""

memphis bleek...seriously? (feel free to quote and add the other rapperes involved in place of 'memphis bleek')

Pretty ambitious for a dude who makes music that isn't

• YES!!!!!!

I can die happy. Somebody listened to my dream collabo!

I've been waiting for that Jean Grae and Memphis Bleek team up for soooooo long

• why

Seriously! and dude isn't even from Brooklyn.

I won't front though, if he made music that was really good I'd probally be on some "DON'T HATT YOU HATTERS!".

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    YES!!!!!!

i've been hoping for petey pablo and natalie cole but i guess this'll do

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    YES!!!!!!

Personally, I am excited to finally find out whether Mos or Memph is the better lyricist.

Too close to call???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I won't front though, if he made music that was really good I'd probally be on some "DON'T HATT YOU HATTERS!".
    To be fair, Premier ain't from Brooklyn either...
    They could have at least tried to get some decent rappers on this though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    why

Neither was Q-Tip. *Not that I think this new track is something that needs to happen either.)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i've been hoping for petey pablo and natalie cole but i guess this'll do

I just had 2 orgasms

• why

Neither was Q-Tip. *Not that I think this new track is something that needs to happen either.)

Word..Mos is cool, not a fan but I do enjoy singles here and there. Jean Grae, never really heard anything that I liked by her aside from her early stuff (What What). Memph Bleek, c'mon dogs....he's a notch above "Drag-On" or somebody.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Jean Grae, never really heard anything that I liked by her aside from her early stuff (What What).

did you ever hear the track she did withj MR. Len fet. the Bayside high choir (pr something like that)

a backpack opus

• I can see the phone call

9th : Is Jay-Z there? I'm calling about getting him on a new crooklyn dodgers record

Secretary : This is Jay's personal secretary, I'm sorry he's retired. I'll leave him the message though.

9th : Can I talk to Bleek then?

Secretary: uh.. This is bleek

9th : Is Jay-Z there? I'm calling about getting him on a new crooklyn dodgers record

Secretary : This is Jay's personal secretary, I'm sorry he's retired. I'll leave him the message though.

hahaha.

This concept is not a good look... Why fuck with it?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I can see the phone call

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Jean Grae, never really heard anything that I liked by her aside from her early stuff (What What).

did you ever hear the track she did withj MR. Len fet. the Bayside high choir (pr something like that)

a backpack opus

I think she just dropped a 12" called "monday" that's .

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I can see the phone call

u had 2 fany ass posts in this thread that me rolling!

man somebody sign this guy.

• why

Word..Mos is cool, not a fan but I do enjoy singles here and there. Jean Grae, never really heard anything that I liked by her aside from her early stuff (What What). Memph Bleek, c'mon dogs....he's a notch above "Drag-On" or somebody.

but where is Ali Shaheed from? and which one of them did that beat anyway?

• The original Crooklyn Dodgers comprised rappers Buckshot, Masta Ace, Special Ed with A Tribe Called Quest manning the production. The hit song was a lead single to Spike Lee's 1994 movie Crooklyn.

In 1995, Chubb Rock, Jeru The Damaja, O.C. formed the Crooklyn Dodgers 95 and released "The Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers" with DJ Premier on the beats.

so who should the next 3-man Brooklyn lineup be?

I propose MOP and GZA. And since the producer apparently doesn't need to come from said borough, let's put DJ Quick on the beat.