Heres why old rappers should give it up.

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Chuck D. DJ Spooky & Slayer's Dave Lombardo Team For 'Drums Of Death'By Roman WolfeDate: 5/9/2005 2:00 PM Chuck D., Dave Lombardo and DJ Spooky have teamed up to create a new heavy metal meets Hip-Hop album, called Drums of Death. According to Spooky, the album blurs the lines of various genres of music.???Right now it seems much more like everything has become so compartmentalized,??? Spooky told Wired Magazine. ???I want to make a genre that's a blur -- where your iPod is malfunctioning, and next thing you know your hip-hop is in the rock section of your playlist, and your rock has gone over to your dub section, and your reggae section is mixed into your jazz and your classical music is sprinkled over everything.???Spooky said that Chuck D. raps in a style more that will remind the discerning listener of Public Enemy???s first two albums, Yo! Bum Rush The Show and It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.Additionally, Slayer???s Lombardo was the only portion of the album that was recorded live. Spooky said Chuck sent his files in for the album.Slayer???s sound should be familiar to fans of the group, as Public Enemy sampled the group???s song Angel of Death on the hard rock tinged ??? ???She Watch Channel Zero,??? taken from 1989???s It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us back album. While Flavor Flav is absent from the project for creative reasons, Spooky created a synthetic voice for the album. ???We ended up making a synthetic voice to replace Flav that kind of evoked the same kind of call and response,??? Spooky said. ???So Chuck D does his thing and instead of going back and forth (with Flava Flav), it goes to the computer.???Drums of Death hit stores on April 26th. seriously. could it get any crappier? Dj spooky? Chuck D phoned in some vocals or something? Jesus, who in their right mind would release this shit? Public enemy lost.

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Dave Lombardo is quite possibly the greatest drummer i've ever had the fortune of seeing perform live.

but this album still looks like a damn mess. mostly because i can't trust dj spooky.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I saw Spooky perfrom about six years ago with Yoko Ono and thurston Moore (sp?, correct name?) from sonic youth. Quite possibly the most bizarre kind of terrible amost good obnoxious thing I've seen.

Personally I can't stand Spooky. Its not his music, which is ok I guess, but everytime i read anything he's quoted in it makes me wanna ralph. He was saying once like "what I do is a stew of textures. You can sample anything -- the sun, blood pumping through your veins. I'm sampling it right now." While what he said is actually kind of true, man he's no where good enough to be talking smack like that. Shut yo mouf.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ???I want to make a genre that's a blur -- where your iPod is malfunctioning, and next thing you know your hip-hop is in the rock section of your playlist, and your rock has gone over to your dub section, and your reggae section is mixed into your jazz and your classical music is sprinkled over everything.???

yuck, this quote is making me barf

• snosno 332 Posts
    but everytime i read anything he's quoted in it makes me wanna ralph.

Anyone read the liner notes of his albums? It possibly takes a quadruple-gatefold cover to cover all the text of his "manifesto on sampling and hiphop", and it's still only an excerpt of a literary wor-in-progress. Gimme a break plaese.

Perhaps I'm too old for his tirade.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Perhaps I'm too old for his tirade.

Naw, plenty of young dudes know he's full of shit too

• ???I want to make a genre that's a blur -- where your iPod is malfunctioning, and next thing you know your hip-hop is in the rock section of your playlist, and your rock has gone over to your dub section, and your reggae section is mixed into your jazz and your classical music is sprinkled over everything.???

The intermingling of genres is almost a given at this point. I mean really, WOW rock and HIP-HOP? gee fookin willikers, who'd a thunk something like that would be possib......

oops...

Plus this assumes that something like "rock dub" would be musically interesting or compelling, and that for whatever reason, you, DJ Spooky, are the best person to perform such a fusion. I can think of a dozen bands that have "rock dub" elements and I guarantee they were better than whatever turd he's going to squeeze out in the name of genre cross-pollination.

DJ Spooky is a pretentious and irritating faux academic. He's not particularly well-spoken or original. If you're going to be full-on intellectual, at least be sharp and well-read. I can't figure out how he got where he is, other than he keeps talking and journalists can't resist writing articles on him.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    fuck I can't STAND DJ Spooky...

I saw that dude live in Chicago like 5 years ago and he did this live dj set. Dude started talking about juggling and shit and then put on 2 records and just kinda pulled one back and switched the fader back and forth and kept doing that, sounded like a fuckin train wreck. none of it sounded like any semblance of a rhythm or anything the whole time, it really sounded like shit actually. and fools were cheering for this shit. If I would have had a brick I would have thrown it.

Juggling my ass, I made fuckin pause tapes that sounded better than that when I was 12.

Spooky can go fuck himself.

• when homie was in phoenix he must have just discovered delay pedals. me and some homies were discussing how he must have been doing some research on arizona and discovered the grand canyon suite. seriously horrendously bad shit.

• If I recall correctly that dude's first 'hit' was a basically untouched Politicians' loop, and that's about the extent of it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    illbient

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    fuck I can't STAND DJ Spooky...

I saw that dude live in Chicago like 5 years ago and he did this live dj set. Dude started talking about juggling and shit and then put on 2 records and just kinda pulled one back and switched the fader back and forth and kept doing that, sounded like a fuckin train wreck. none of it sounded like any semblance of a rhythm or anything the whole time, it really sounded like shit actually. and fools were cheering for this shit. If I would have had a brick I would have thrown it.

Juggling my ass, I made fuckin pause tapes that sounded better than that when I was 12.

Spooky can go fuck himself.

yes! I saw him do the same thing at CMJ one year and the crowd was eating it up because he "looked" like he was juggling, but it was just a drum-less record so he couldn't really fuck up either way. That was the nail in Spooky's coffin for me.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The only saving grace of this woefully misconceived collaboration is the on-the-money responses that it generated on this thread. Talk about restoring my faith in humanity.... THANK YOU SOULSTRUT!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    NO, THANK YOU MARCO

"DON'T GET BENT ON ILLBIENT"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    NO, THANK YOU MARCO

"DON'T GET BENT ON ILLBIENT"

DONT BE SUBLIMINAL KID

COMPUTER FLAVOR FLAV

CHUCK "I PHONED IN MY VOCALS WHERES THE CHECK" D

DJ "ROCK RAP DUB HYBRID? YO IM FEELING THAT" SPOOKY

BONUS POINTS IF BILL LASWELL EXECUTIVE PRODUCES

GOT ARTFORUM MUSIC REVIEW SECTION GOING NUTS

KIM GORDON SAYS YES PLAESE

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I use to work w/ this one dude who was a HUGE Spooky fan. He was one of these "I'm so intellectual I can't be bothered by this stuff you call hip-hop music. I only listen to music that stimulates my mind???. He would bring in spooky, prodigy & orbit cd's so he could try to help understand how complex the music was. Needless to say I had to tell him it sucked after politely letting him know I was not interested in listening to his crap.

Few weeks later he tells me that he's going to start sampling from records because it has a vintage sound & asks me if I want to listen to his ???Duran Duran??? cover.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I can't stand DJ Spooky. That guy is a talentless hack, is his whole gimmick being an "authority on music"?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    yeah, what everybody else said. dj big wiz of the steelworkers was his touring DJ who would actually rock some routines with his band. not a response ever. but when that subliminal kid got up on there and threw on some free jazz records or whatever and backspun them thangs was playing twister all these fucking alterna-college music fuckheads would light up with glee. and then dude would play a thumb piano or something totally out of tune. god, i hate people.

'til infinity

• snosno 332 Posts
    Reminds me of two Spooky-inspired moments, please pardon my thread-hijack...

Incident #1

I was unfortunate enough to be in a concert by this shit-hot pop producer-cum-trustafarian who's also very vocal about the greatness of DJ Spooky in mid to late 90s in Hong Kong...Dude was on some arty avant-pop tip throwing a vanity project for him and his girl, he opened the show (in tux and chuck taylors) with his "turntable routine": baby scratching some Erik Satie or something, then trying to beat juggle (struggle would be more appropriate a word) with a double... the fiasco continueed with him trying to scratch in some sentence from those Dirtstyle break records like Qbert in Dr Octogon's "I gotta tell you".

I have to add that the abovementioned were done in a sloppy manner.

Somewhere in the mid-point of the show, dude got back on the decks, baby scratching a little and rhymed about rebelling against the unrealistic expectations of parents in HKG.

When he done finished with the decks, he start playing the accordion or some shit. It was like a friggin high school talent show.

Incident #2

At an Uri Caine/DJ Olive concert a few years back, DJ Olive, being one of the figureheads in the illbient movement, was trainwrecking left and right while trying to beat match two records not faster than 80bpm. Then he just start mixing in beatless synth pads (much alike what DJ Daze and DJ Anna said/observed in the above post). A guy sat next to me turned and ask me "I don't think he's that great, but is that part of his technique, deconstructing the DJ myth?".

To this day I am not sure if that guy was joking or not.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    ???I want to make a genre that's a blur -- where your iPod is malfunctioning, and next thing you know your hip-hop is in the rock section of your playlist, and your rock has gone over to your dub section, and your reggae section is mixed into your jazz and your classical music is sprinkled over everything.???

translation of that quote: we totally lost focus and have no idea what we are doing.